Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/608716/bitcoin-transactions-arent-as-anonymous-as-everyone-hoped/
Quote:
The main culprits are Web trackers and cookies-small pieces of code deliberately embedded into websites that send information to third parties about the way people use the site. Common Web trackers send information to Google, Facebook, and others to track page usage, purchase amounts, browsing habits, and so on. Some trackers even send personally identifiable information such as your name, address, and e-mail.

In this way, information about a transaction leaks onto the Web, where governments, law enforcement agencies, and malicious users can readily collect and analyze it.
lulz... this is why you send Bitcoin over to Monero coin, then back again to a new Bitcoin wallet that you created from a new PC and new IP somewhere else.

Bitcoin is Anon if you do Monero right.
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Butthurt Beluga View Post

Wouldn't having something like NoScript basically avoid all of that anyway, or am I missing something?
Sure, that works. Also, use Monero exchange on top of that, it is fully ANON. lol
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Vinnce

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,626 Posts
No one with even basic knowledge of Bitcoin ever considered it truly anonymous and not simply for the reasons mentioned here.

There is simply too much potentially personally identifiable information about each transaction written into the Bitcoin blockchain to assume anonymity without taking deliberate steps to obfuscate one's transactions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

Bitcoin is Anon if you do Monero right.
Monero isn't Bitcoin and the fact that Monero is easy to anonymize imply anything about Bitcoin's anonymity.
 

·
⤷ αC
Joined
·
11,239 Posts
It's a public ledger, what do you expect. Once you link the address to a person , you know all the transactions of that person's particular address.
 

·
Frog Blast The Vent Core
Joined
·
6,118 Posts
This is surprising why?

How much more evidence do we need that cryptocurrency is a colossal scam?
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

How much more evidence do we need that cryptocurrency is a colossal scam?
I'm not sure how you could consider this evidence of any such thing.
 

·
Phenomenologist
Joined
·
6,326 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantium40 View Post

Eh, sensationalist title.

Bitcoin was never designed to be anonymous or hidden - all transactions are visible, and if you work hard enough, traceable.
Care to tell me how you will trace BTC exchanged for Monero coin, and the monero coin changed back into a new BTC wallet created on a new PC and new IP address in a different city? the BTC at that point is legit, since any traving done will show it was just purchased from an exchange with Monero, and the Monero itself not traceable.

therefore bitcoin is ANON if you do it right. you only lose out on a few exchange fees.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
577 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

Care to tell me how you will trace BTC exchanged for Monero coin, and the monero coin changed back into a new BTC wallet created on a new PC and new IP address in a different city? the BTC at that point is legit, since any traving done will show it was just purchased from an exchange with Monero, and the Monero itself not traceable.

therefore bitcoin is ANON if you do it right. you only lose out on a few exchange fees.
By that logic, isn't any currency technically anonymous? That just means the Monero is, not the Bitcoin.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,848 Posts
Lol, welcome to 2013.
 

·
there is no easy way out
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by CynicalUnicorn View Post

I disagree, I've made quite a bit of USD dollars off of it.
thumb.gif
Wow, and convert more Cryto coins into Federal Reserve's so called voucher that in turn becomes so called fiat currency and then sent into associated banks just to be withdrawn by masses including you. More fiat currency in circulation, means more overall debt. Good.

I am not against crptocoins, but you should not convert into fiat, instead convert your hard earned cash into cryto ones and use crypt ones to purchase things. This seems the only way to end federal reserve's slavery.

Well you can ingone all of ^this if you don't believe is such slavery.
biggrin.gif


Edit: All my opinion, and I may be wrong.
 

·
Adclock.net
Joined
·
3,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitlian View Post

Wow, and convert more Cryto coins into Federal Reserve's so called voucher that in turn becomes so called fiat currency and then sent into associated banks just to be withdrawn by masses including you. More fiat currency in circulation, means more overall debt. Good.

I am not against crptocoins, but you should not convert into fiat, instead convert your hard earned cash into cryto ones and use crypt ones to purchase things. This seems the only way to end federal reserve's slavery.

Well you can ingone all of ^this if you don't believe is such slavery.
biggrin.gif


Edit: All my opinion, and I may be wrong.
No
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,116 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitlian View Post

Wow, and convert more Cryto coins into Federal Reserve's so called voucher that in turn becomes so called fiat currency and then sent into associated banks just to be withdrawn by masses including you. More fiat currency in circulation, means more overall debt. Good.

I am not against crptocoins, but you should not convert into fiat, instead convert your hard earned cash into cryto ones and use crypt ones to purchase things. This seems the only way to end federal reserve's slavery.

Well you can ingone all of ^this if you don't believe is such slavery.
biggrin.gif


Edit: All my opinion, and I may be wrong.
Except when you buy things, those cryptocoins get converted to your Lord and Master, Fiat-chan. :V
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
729 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sumitlian View Post

Wow, and convert more Cryto coins into Federal Reserve's so called voucher that in turn becomes so called fiat currency and then sent into associated banks just to be withdrawn by masses including you. More fiat currency in circulation, means more overall debt. Good.

I am not against crptocoins, but you should not convert into fiat, instead convert your hard earned cash into cryto ones and use crypt ones to purchase things. This seems the only way to end federal reserve's slavery.

Well you can ingone all of ^this if you don't believe is such slavery.
biggrin.gif


Edit: All my opinion, and I may be wrong.
I do agree currency anchored to government whims (or any single power for that matter) is extremely dangerous, and has been used in the past to effectively steal from the population. Dollars sitting in the bank are literally wasting away, and for this reason cryptocurrency looks good.

Many are of the opinion that cryptocurrencies are a waste, and basically worth nothing. What they don't realize is that most currency is intrinsically worthless. Guess what, their actual value is mostly determined by how well they fit the role of being a currency, how easily you can exchange with them. USD is good because there is a heck of a lot of it floating around (but not too much mind you) and everyone accepts it. What makes it not as nice in the long run IS the fact that it is printed and controlled by the Feds. This is why cryptocurrencies are so wildly popular. In a way, they make even better currency.

There ain't nothing wrong or sinful with converting your BTC to USD though - currency works best if used for its intended purpose: a medium of exchange. Spend them Bitcoins!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
75 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

This is surprising why?

How much more evidence do we need that cryptocurrency is a colossal scam?
I have made over $40k in the last 6 months alone with crypto without even trying. I have a few friends who have made hundreds of thousands.

DBUbhCEXgAACDlX.jpg
 

·
there is no easy way out
Joined
·
3,255 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

Except when you buy things, those cryptocoins get converted to your Lord and Master, Fiat-chan. :V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantium40 View Post

I do agree currency anchored to government whims (or any single power for that matter) is extremely dangerous, and has been used in the past to effectively steal from the population. Dollars sitting in the bank are literally wasting away, and for this reason cryptocurrency looks good.

Many are of the opinion that cryptocurrencies are a waste, and basically worth nothing. What they don't realize is that most currency is intrinsically worthless. Guess what, their actual value is mostly determined by how well they fit the role of being a currency, how easily you can exchange with them. USD is good because there is a heck of a lot of it floating around (but not too much mind you) and everyone accepts it. What makes it not as nice in the long run IS the fact that it is printed and controlled by the Feds. This is why cryptocurrencies are so wildly popular. In a way, they make even better currency.

There ain't nothing wrong or sinful with converting your BTC to USD though - currency works best if used for its intended purpose: a medium of exchange. Spend them Bitcoins!
Yeah, I gotta agree.
 

·
Iconoclast
Joined
·
30,626 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gregory121295 View Post

By that logic, isn't any currency technically anonymous? That just means the Monero is, not the Bitcoin.
Yes, that's the point I was making earlier.

If I'm careful and I use an anonymous medium of exchange to buy and sell another, I can make transaction involving USD, gold bars, or vintage G.I. Joe action figures anonymous.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post

Lol, welcome to 2013.
2009.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DVLux View Post

Except when you buy things, those cryptocoins get converted to your Lord and Master, Fiat-chan. :V
Eventually, usually...and this is a situation that's going to persist for quite a while, but probably won't last forever.
 
1 - 20 of 80 Posts
Top