Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am adding some more ram to my rig, money permittig but no where, really stocks my mushkin ram any more. Can i just stick any old pc3200 ram in and they will all work at top efficiency?

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,323 Posts
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>LISTRONICS</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">Can i just stick any old pc3200 ram in</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>yes<br />
<br />
<div style="margin:20px; margin-top:5px; ">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px">Quote:</div>
<table cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" border="0" width="99%">
<tr>
<td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset">

<div>
Originally Posted by <strong>LISTRONICS</strong>

</div>
<div style="font-style:italic">and they will all work at top efficiency?</div>

</td>
</tr>
</table>
</div>top efficiency? Please rephrase this part of the question. I do not understand what you are asking for. What is top efficiency to you?<br />
<br />
For instance my computer has a G.Skill 1024 PC3200 and a Crucial 1024 PC3200 one is 3 CAS one is 2.5 CAS, they have given me a moderate boost in performance.

·
Registered
1,693 Posts
Here's a good question for this thread then.....<br />
<br />
considering mix and match, I found a 2GB kit of NCP DDR400 for a hundred bucks. Not too shabby, even if they're server RAM or "budget RAM". However, I did have a 1GB (512MB x 2) set of Patriot Performance series DDR400 in there before. When I threw them all into their dual channel parameters, my clock speeds went from DDR400 to DDR266.<br />
<br />
How in the heck did that happen, and how is it possible to fix?<br />
<br />
Before you go about talking about BIOS, I've got the most recent updates my board can take. ASUS A8R-MVP Deluxe board with version 602 revised BIOS update.... the latest non-beta available.<br />
<br />
I tried to modify the settings to my RAM to 3-3-3-8, as both the 512 and the 1GB can take it. Any other ideas on "how to"?

·
Banned
1,467 Posts
Ok when you put in your new ram. Were you still running the old rams settings? .. Before adding any ram., you always need to reset your cmos. THEN add the ram.

·
Administrator
64,287 Posts
Well yes adding another stick of the same speed ram such as PC3200 will be just fine. They will work at top effiency only if you get a stick that matches to the othe sticks in such characteristics as <br />
<br />
1. Timings <br />
2. Speed <br />
3. Amount of Vdimm handled.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts