Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,923 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it unadvisable to mix various protections (i.e. Firewall / Anti Virus and e-Mail) ?<br />
<br />
What do you guys think of eTrust anti-virus?<br />
<br />
Thank you.

• Rep+
Reactions: Live_free

·
OVERCLOCK IT OR DIE
7,323 Posts
You can mix and match your anti-virus, firewall, and email scanner sure! Some programs don't like others so it's just a matter of figuring out which ones work best.<br />
<br />
I've never used eTrust. In fact I've never used any anti virus at all until SP2 and that annoying Secuirty Center telling me in red I need anti virus.<br />
<br />
AVG comes in a free version for home personal use, I like it because on systems i've installed it on it catches everything and doesnt bog down the system like mcafee and norton do. AVG has a e-mail scanner and I use the firewall with windows so I'm happy with that.

·
Premium Member
8,367 Posts
If you have one of those Security Suites, then you are already covered since they usually have everything you need (AA, ASW, FW, EMF). You can also get then individually, in which case one of each is enough since having two of the same will create conflicts; the exception is spyware cleaners, since it's safe to have more than one (advisable to have more than one also). Personally, I avoid the Security Suites, mainly because I hate paying for stuff and because there are usually better alternatives on the internet for free. I use AVG Free (AA), ZoneAlarm (FW), SpyBot and Ad-Aware (ASW), and the AOL e-mail filter. If you would prefer paying for a fully featured security suite McAfee and Norton are among the best; never heard of eTrust, sorry.

·
Registered
389 Posts
eTrust is pretty good, but I switched over to AVG free. AVG comes with an Outlook plug-in for email. If you are using web-based email, it's probably already scanned by the provider. Use Firefox for your web browser with the "no script" and "adblock" extensions. Make sure to download filterset G for adblock. Also install spywareblaster. It will add a bunch of block lists and stuff to IE and Firefox, and doesn't use memory or CPU. If you need a firewall, the Windows firewall is fine. All this stuff is free, and will make your machine pretty rock-solid.

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
I use AVG free edition, windows defender, and the sp2 firewall.<br />
<br />
I also have spybot s&d and ad-aware personal edition for cleaning out tracking cookies.<br />
<br />
Haven't had any problems with them messing each other up or getting viruses

·
Registered
6,614 Posts
nod32 is simply the daddy and isnt that expensive. hasnt missed an in the wild virus in years. they have a30day trial offer.<br />
<br />
edit: it scans pretty quickly and is really light on resources

·
Registered
690 Posts
Just to throw something else in the mix, I have been very pleased with PcCillin. I usedthe antivirus for a year and now upgraded to the Internet Security. They both perform well and don't seem to use up the resources that some others do.

·
Registered
1,246 Posts
You can use a variety of security programs, its fine. Just find the combination best for you and use that.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts