Old, Senile, and Happy
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Welcome to my
* * * "Mix 'N Match Twins" * * *
Complimentary NZXT Phantom 630's build log

Hey gang,

Welcome to my latest project;

I'll be building a pair of the new NZXT Phantom 630's, kind of alternating efforts between them and the stretched 820 build.

The idea in this project is to mix and match parts of a white 630 and a gunmetal 630, to produce two complimentary builds, each unique from anything you could buy off the shelf.

The idea here is that 2 friends could buddy-up so that each would have a unique custom at the cost of a single case.

While I'm usually more of a "go big or go home" modder, who likes to push existing limits, these builds are going to be a 180 flip from my usual.

The intention here is to create a pair of nice, custom looking, gaming capable rigs, that are within the reach of most enthusiast's modding abilities, and all without breaking the bank.

Though everyone has their own opinion, I see the 630 as a case best suited as either an upgrade to gain good WC capabilities for a slightly older Sandy Bridge system that's on air of AIO, or as an equally good choice for a new gaming level SB /IB build with WC in the plan.

I would suggest going to the larger 810 or 820 if you plan more than 2 GPU's.

The 630 is not that big inside, and starts to look cramped more quickly than its larger cousins.

I'll save the review and critical appraisal of the P630 for later on in the build log, but here's a little preview of the "Mix 'N Match" buddy builds:

Hope you enjoy the adventure,

Darlene

Here's a few shots with the side panels removed:

Here's a few shots with the side panels in place, both with sides matching the chassis, and with the sides matching the plastics:

I think the contrasting USB module looks good either way.

I prefer the side panels matching the plastics, with the top edge of the chassis and the lower edge / feet as accents.

But here's the sides matching the chassis for comparison:

·
Gamer
3,966 Posts
Subbed of course! Love your ideas and creativity.

·
Old, Senile, and Happy
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xclsyr View Post

Subscribing early in anticipation
wink.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgtuning View Post

Subbed of course! Love your ideas and creativity.
Welcome aboard guys, thanks for the vote of confidence.

As much as I love the 820's, and I'm starting to like the 630's, nothing seems to beckon me like the original Phantom did.

Since these builds are planned as upgrades to a pair of my AIO cooled phantom builds so that I can have well executed custom loops and better performance, I'm truly going to miss the look of the original cases.

Darlene

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
Damn IT you're such a tease ! Always such awesome builds, look forward to your progress on this sweet pair.
drool.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif

·
Old, Senile, and Happy
4,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by KillThePancake View Post

Nice idea, white frame with gunmetal plastics looks friggin' epic! Subbed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by wyant50 View Post

This should be good
smile.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgrande465 View Post

You are awesome at this!
Subbed!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iceandele View Post

This should be good, looking forward to it!
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by gdesmo View Post

Damn IT you're such a tease ! Always such awesome builds, look forward to your progress on this sweet pair.
drool.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by socketus View Post

Subbed for the twins
biggrin.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by circeseye View Post

subbed for this one also
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeanW75234 View Post

Subbed! After the Stretch, I had to follow your builds.
thumb.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by TeeBlack View Post

i like the mix match colors. im curious of what kind of rads you gonna fit in them. i have matte black 630. havent switched over to it yet though.
Welcome everyone.

To answer the rads question . . . . I'm not exactly sure yet, as I'm still weighing the alternatives after measuring the available space.

I always try to maximize the potential of the available space, but also try to weigh that against aesthetics.

A Monsta 280 will fit in the bottom in push - pull, but I'm not so sure the short boxy look is going to be very attractive.

The bottom panel is not very well designed to provide good airflow for fans larger than 120mm, so there's some concern there as well.

The top space is limited to about 55mm above the mobo;

An XT45 would go nicely, or a 30mm with push pull will fit.

I'm also looking at the white painted Black Ice GT Extreme 360, which is listed as 54mm. It would need some serious fans though, so there's a noise and airflow direction switch to ponder with that choice.

I'll post some pics of the bottom panel, and some thoughts on how to better utilize a 280 rad there a bit farther on.

Darlene

·
Registered
242 Posts
Hi mate, I guess you know your stuff with water cooling and know exactly what fits in the Phantom 630. As this is new I can't really find any details on it anywhere or build logs, I'm water cooling mine really soon (just CPU first, GPUs later).

I can fit a Monsta 240 in the bottom yes? and a Monsta 360 up top? - I'm not doing push/pull

Subbed, this will be good. Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
wow this is unique I don't think I've seen it done anywhere else.
Are you planning on selling one/both of them, I'm curious as I can't see a reason as to why someone would want to keep two almost identical builds (Except for folding points)

You should Try the monsta rad. I feel that normal Rads look a little too much 2 dimensional, There is nothing better than a lot of parts crammed in a small case so expertly that it is compact and neat
biggrin.gif

·
Registered
401 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by illuz View Post

Hi mate, I guess you know your stuff with water cooling and know exactly what fits in the Phantom 630. As this is new I can't really find any details on it anywhere or build logs, I'm water cooling mine really soon (just CPU first, GPUs later).

I can fit a Monsta 240 in the bottom yes? and a Monsta 360 up top? - I'm not doing push/pull

Subbed, this will be good. Thanks for your help!
Monsta 240/280 will fit in the bottom or the front. up top the monsta wont fit. you can fit the st30 360 (30mm) or xt45 360 (45mm) up top. you only have 55mm up top.

1 - 20 of 191 Posts