Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Okay so about 3 years ago I bought a 2x8GB Trident Z(Not RGB) 3200CL14 (14-14-14-34) RAM kit with the idea that i'd grab a second kit later. I can do that by importing through newegg but 1. I don't want to wait on international shipping to Australia, especially with covid delays and 2. I'm going to be ordering other parts from a local store soon so saving on shipping would be nice.

Here's the question: What are the chances a 2x8 FlareX 3200 14-14-14-34 kit would work fine with the trident z kit? Are they likely to be the same memory with a different cover/heatsink or would they just be too different in other ways, sub-timings etc?

I'll deal with the inconveniences of getting another of the same kit if I should but I thought it might be worth asking anyway.

I'm absolutely not concerned about the aesthetics of 2 different kits, i'm getting a case with a solid side panel and hiding my PC away cause I just don't care to have the big bulky noisy thing right in my face anymore anyway.

·
Overclock the World
1,904 Posts
Memory is never identical.
Even from the same model number.
You'd have to be extremely lucky and get it from the same batch @ the same week (up to demand, sometimes even the same day)
Where both of this already rare factors, would need both to pass their memory validation tests.
Short answer, ~ no you can't get absolutely identical dimms with 98% identical ICs unless you visit the factory and have a friend who work there.

What your variance will be is most of the times PCB "models/revisions"
On non tight flat timings sets, it was common 2017-2019 Q4 to just grab what ever was randomly at the warehouse and would pass Intel-XMP validation.
Often enough you even ended up with 2 different ICs on the same kit - but at least they got that sorted "recently".
"Recently" soo to speak "more recently" around >2020 and shortly before the ending era of DDR4 :D
companies started to knowledge memory PCBs as a key factor (likely as ryzen was picky by bad signal integrity and different board typologies exist after all)
Some companies like Viper-Taiwan, even modified and made their own PCB Revision ~ a custom A2 PCB only available on their 4400CL19-19 kits
But then 4000C19 flat ones sometimes are on A0 sometimes on A1 PCBs ~ as both didn't hit PCB frequency issues and business wise it was useless expense of work to guarantee something that didn't matter

In Short,
No ~ you might get lucky and hit the same PCB
Good FlareX back then where on A1 PCB, but as B-die Production is EOL since 2018 (part of it)
Some FlareX kits not only OC worse, but also are on A0 PCB
It remains a luck thing on two parts here

On some models, you know what to expect with the PCB if you buy high speed rated kits
But on 3200CL14 which all normal B-die bins could do / same as 3200CL16-18 which "bad b-die" bins could do
You still wont get identical kits
The binning is a work you'd have to do anyways
Starting from considering if your Board is T-Topology or Daisy Chain
Then inspecting each of your Dimms, checking first if they are all on the same PCB and if ~ doing voltage and tRCD binning to figure out which are the bad ones
The bad ones on a Daisy Chain come in the main/Master channels - the good ones which can work with less voltage, come in the slave channels

T-Topology splits the signal 50/50%
Daisy-Chain does splitting at 75/25%
Soo you can imagine why slave kits = 4 dimms on Daisy Chain, depend a lot on PCB revision with different characteristics and IC binning

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Alright, so if I'm understanding correctly- it would be pretty silly to risk it with the FlareX kit and I should just go for another of the same model number Trident Z kit for any chance of compatibility? But I should maybe still expect there might be some issues even with the same model number just because they're two different kits from different manufacturing dates?
Sorry if i've misunderstood anything; I build computers- i dont understand them lol.
Would you recommend I just replace with a new 32GB kit instead of trying to add more to an old kit?

·
Registered
496 Posts

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,171 Posts
I ran a 2x4 GeIL Dragon 3600 17-17-17 kit alongside a Corsair LPX 3600 18-18-18 3600 kit (and overclocked to 3733 @ 16-16-16) on both Skylake and Coffee Lake before grabbing some B-Die.

If both kits individually work fine with your setup then almost certainty them together will work fine, don't worry too much about it.

unless you're OCing your RAM, then worry, but just a little bit :D

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Right so I can't seem to buy the same model I have anywhere anymore so that's making it a bit harder.

Do I buy a full new 32GB kit?
Or which of these is more likely to work ok? I would assume the other colors of the old Trident Z kit or the Ripjaws V kit are my best bets?

Attachments

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
If you can get the same IC's (B-dies) it can work fine. You may have to adjust your timings or speeds to the lowest performing set but it will work. I have run 2 completely different D-die kits, 1 8GB single sided set and one 16GB double sided set from different brands together. Wasn't exactly automatic but it worked fine. You won't set any speed records. Pick a 3200 cl14-14-14 set and go for it. You will never now what PCB you are going to get either way. If it doesn't work buy another matching new kit and sell the old one.

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for all your input and sorry for wasting everyones time, I couldn't bring myself to risk it and just bought a whole 32GB kit.

Picked a Ripjaws V 4x8 3600 C16-19-19 kit. No idea if it's any good or if i'm going to be able to at least get it down to 16-16-16 but it was the right price.

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
Thanks for all your input and sorry for wasting everyones time, I couldn't bring myself to risk it and just bought a whole 32GB kit.

Picked a Ripjaws V 4x8 3600 C16-19-19 kit. No idea if it's any good or if i'm going to be able to at least get it down to 16-16-16 but it was the right price.
I imagine you got the black Ripjaws F4-3600C16Q-32GVKC ? https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232881

Likely Hynix IC's but maybe something else....should work fine on 3700X. Another $50 would have gotten you the B-die kit F4-3600C16Q-32GTZKK. ;)

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232584

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I imagine you got the black Ripjaws F4-3600C16Q-32GVKC ? https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232881

Likely Hynix IC's but maybe something else....should work fine on 3700X. Another $50 would have gotten you the B-die kit F4-3600C16Q-32GTZKK. ;)

https://www.newegg.com/g-skill-32gb-288-pin-ddr4-sdram/p/N82E16820232584
This is what i'm dealing with in Aus. Set to 3600mhz only but basically even a 3200c14 kit is closer to $500 and nothing else seems to be particularly good even as you get up there while mine was $319.

Idk theres still time to change the order before its processed but I don't see anything for about the same price that might be any good. Idk if something there has loose timings but is actually a good die?
https://www.pccasegear.com/category/186_1782/memory/all-ddr4-memory

Attachments

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,171 Posts

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Damnit, the order went into processing already- i lost the request changes button. I hope they get my message to remove the RAM. That 3200C14 2x16GB Ripjaws kit from newegg would cost me exactly the same even with import fees and shipping. Crazy.

Thankyou very much for that partpicker list, extremely helpful.

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts

·
Untitled.jpg
835 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
They had already processed the order too far and now id have to send it back for a refund after it gets here :doh:
Oh well, the kits good enough im sure ill live.

·
OG AMD
8,801 Posts
They had already processed the order too far and now id have to send it back for a refund after it gets here :doh:
Oh well, the kits good enough im sure ill live.
Yes it should work fine with little hassle. :thumb:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts