Overclock.net banner

Mobile P4

450 views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Higgins 
#1 ·
Hello, I have a HP notebook that constantly overheats because of its creaming hot P4 at 3ghz, i wm going to switch it out for a lower P4. Can i put a Pentium M? i dont know the socket is called, But im preaty sure its a mobile P4.

#3 ·
To the best of my knowledge, the Pentium 4 M (socket 478) and the Pentium M (socket 479) cannot simply be swapped. To be sure of what you have, run CPU-Z. It should give you all of the info on your processor.

#5 ·
I was pretty sure the 2.2Ghz P-M was the fastest they had. Also keep in mind that the way the Pentium M processes instruction codes is different than the original P4. The 2.2Ghz P-M is actually about equivalent to the 3.0-3.2 P4, as I understand it.

I don't know if you would have room for this Higgins but didn't asus or someone make a P4-PentiumM converter for desktop use? could you squeeze that baby in there?

#8 ·
Yeah i was suprised, but the P4 is in a socket and i took it out to clean the white thermal crap HP, and put on some a5s or whatever. The heatsink screws on to the CPU so i wouldn't beable to put a conveter on there. This thing overheats all the time, I want to down clock it, but my mobo has a ATI northbridge [dunno where the heck that was made] so none of the OC apps support my board. Would swaping out for a slower P4 do anygood? The heat problems are so bad the thing cant run AquaZone for 5min before it overheats. I bought this thing last year for $1400, and now HP will refund for only $600 =\\ BTW it has DDR1 memory. What if i took off the bottom plate and had a 120mm fan blowing in there? Now theres an idea.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.