Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 225 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you find this guide helpful PLEASE add rep

Mobile FAQ

What These CPUs are made for laptops, but lucky for us they work on desktop motherboards
Why The secret to their high OCing ability is their low vcore's. You cant have a quality heatsink in a laptop, so they have a lower vcore to compensate for bad heat disipation(is that a word lol). Also, the heat resistance is higher compared to regular desktop versions

Types of Mobile Processors:

Athlon XP

45W Mobile XP 2400, 2500, 2600
Generally, there is no differance between overclockablitly between these 3, but its safe to say the 2500 and 2600 will OC a little more than the 2400

Mobile XP Processors

2400+ XP-M - 1800 MHz 266 MHz 1.45V model 10 0.13 micron organic Barton
2500+ XP-M - 1867 MHz 266 MHz 1.45V model 10 0.13 micron organic Barton
2600+ XP-M - 2000 MHz 266 MHz 1.45V model 10 0.13 micron organic Barton
2400+ XP-M - 1800 MHz 266 MHz 1.35V model 10 0.13 micron organic Barton

Types of mobiles you should NOT consider are the ones with stock voltages of 1.65.

3000+ XP-M - 2200MHz 266MHz 1.65V model 10 0.13 micron organic Barton

Why you might ask? Because if you notice, the processor is not a 35 or 45 watt, its a 1.65V model which means it will NOT overclock higher than the regular desktop model.

Will this work in my motherboard?

Reccomended motherboards:
Abit NF7-S V2
Abit AN7
DFI NFII ULTRA INFINITY
DFI LANPARTY NFII ULTRA B *Note the DFI Infinity and the DFI Lanparty perform the same
Nforce2 motherboards: Will work with any as long as your motherboard allows you to change multis. Depending on if you have a cheap mobo you might need a pin mod to toggle from the upper multis(12.5-24) to the lower multis (6-12)
Via motherboards: In most cases this will work, but a pin mod may be nessasary to change the multi's

What should i expect when first popping my XP-M in?
These are all normal things that happen so dont be alarmed
* Defaults as (6x100) 600mhz when you first pop it in.
* Vcore defaults as 1.575 or somewhere in that range
* Reads as "Unknown CPU"

How do they OC?
The are average estimates
Average Air cooling OC: 2400-2500mhz
Superb Air cooling OC: 2600-2700mhz
Watercooling: 2700-2900mhz

The best steppings?
For 45W mobiles the best steppings (higher overclocking) read from cheaper steppings to best steppings, IQXFA < IQYFA < IQYHA < IQZFA (the "A" starting mobiles dont do as well but if you have an "A" then it still can be a good OCer)
*Note, with 35watt CPUs it looks like the stepping doesnt matter.

Cost?
70-110 dollars

Athlon 64 (under contruction, details are to be added)
Please note that ALL mobiles are still half locked just like the desktop versions.
The two main catagories are the True mobiles, and the DTR mobiles

True Mobiles

Have a core voltage a 1.4v and 1.2v. These processors will obviously do better over the DTR (Desktop Replacement) chips because of the lower voltage (All the XP-M theory's apply).
The processors with a core voltage of 1.4v are the 3400+(released recently), 3200+, 3000+, and the 2800+
The processors with a core voltage of 1.2v are the 2700+ and the 2800+

DTR Mobiles
Desktop Replacement mobiles have a voltage of 1.5v
3700+, 3400+, 3200+, and the 3000+

Cost?
130-250 (The 3700+ is 440)

Here is a list of motherboards that were listed on the AnandTech mobile A64 thread. The mobile A64's (true and DTR alike) do NOT work on every mobo, so please choose a mobo from the list below.

nForce3-250; nForce3-250GB Motherboards

Asus K8N-E [AGP/PCI Lock, FID 4x-Max, HTT Adjust, VCore, VDimm; Tested with Athlon 64 DTR 1.5v] - will boot with the shipping BIOS and runs smooth. Overclocking however seems to be an issue with the shipping BIOS. Upgrade to the 1004 BIOS and overclocking should be fine. Be advised that the backplate is *glued* on, which means it's tough to get off and you need to get it off. Using acetone or heating the adhesive up with a hairdryer should allow the backplate to be easily removed. Be careful and don't use sharp objects as they may damage the board

Chaintech VNF3-250 Zenith Value Edition [AGP/PCI Lock, FID 4x-Max, HTT Adjust, VCore, VDimm, LDT; Tested with Athlon 64 DTR 1.5v, Athlon 64 Mobile 1.4v] - will NOT boot with shipping BIOS. What that means is that you have to get *another* DESKTOP CPU and flash to the 2004/7/29 BIOS found here: http://www.chaintechusa.com/tw...?DCSNo=4&PISNo=276
Then swap out the desktop with the mobile chip. At that point the motherboard will boot but the CPU will lock down to a 4x multiplier (800Mhz) To correct this one needs to go into the Frequency/Voltage control menu in the BIOS and enable voltage adjustment and MANUALLY select the proper voltage for the chip. Then, in the same menu select the FID control and manually select the proper multiplier for the chip. Reboot and the problem should be solved.

DFI LANParty UT nF3-250Gb [AGP/PCI Lock, FID 4x-Max, HTT Adjust, VCore, VDimm, LDT; Tested with Athlon 64 DTR 1.5v, Athlon 64 Mobile 1.4v] - will work with shipping BIOS although there are reboot issues in that only once every 3-5 boots will the motherboard boot up properly. The issue seems to stem from the low voltage applied to the DTR upon boot. This hacked BIOS seems to fix the issue: http://oskarwu.myweb.hinet.net.../BETABIOS/N32LD914.zip

Epox 8KDA3+ [AGP/PCI Lock, VCore via vmod, VDimm, LDT; Tested with Athlon 64 DTR 1.5v] - will NOT boot with shipping BIOS. What that means is that you have to get *another* DESKTOP CPU and flash to the new 9/13/04 BIOS. Then, with the desktop CPU still in the mobo you need to enter the BIOS and set the multiplier to 4x. At that point switch out the desktop CPU with the DTR and boot up. The system will boot up to 800mhz at 1.1v. From there enter the BIOS and adjust voltage to 1.55v and then adjust FID according to your CPU's default speed and you should be set.

MSI K8N Neo Platinum [AGP/PCI Lock, FID 4x-Max, HTT Adjust, VCore, VDimm, LDT; Tested with Athlon 64 Mobile 1.4v] The board has some SERIOUS quality issues (there are too many problems to list but users are seeing everything from stability issues at stock, inability to get voltage to stay above 1.45v, only parttime working RAM divisors, flakey AGP/PCI locks, to multiplier and voltage settings that won't 'stick') Unfortunately, this is nothing new with MSI boards. What that means is that you may get a board that works fine but it is *much* more likely that you will get a board that is a big POS which will cause you to waste endless hours pulling out your hair trying (and failing) to get the board to work correctly. Until further notice, this motherboard is NOT a good choice to use with mobiles (or any other CPU for that matter.) The motherboard will boot with the shipping BIOS but the CPU will lock down to a 4x multiplier (800Mhz) To correct this one needs to update to the BETA bios 1.52 Please take note that the backplate is *glued* on, which means it's tough to get off and you need to get it off. Using acetone or heating the adhesive up with a hairdryer should allow the backplate to be easily removed. Be careful and don't use sharp objects as they may damage the board.

Soltek SL-K8AN2E-GR [AGP/PCI Lock, HTT Adjust, VCore, VDimm, LDT; Tested with Athlon 64 DTR 1.5v, Athlon 64 Mobile 1.2v] Any settings above 250 HTT will not take effect, even with the performance BIOS. However, it seems that with clockgen such settings do take effect. Otherwise, no major issues to report.

Where to buy
:
www.newegg.com, www.monarchcomputer.com, www.ewiz.com, www.laptops4me.com and www.excaliberpc.com

·
Registered
50 Posts
Nice breakdown.

Note that early 2400+ mobile Bartons overclocked sky high but lately, mobile 2500+ tends to overclock a little higher than new 2400+ mobile Bartons.

Lately, quite a few new mobiles can't go over 2.6 GHz with any setup but on average, you should get about 200 MHz higher overclock than with (multiplier locked) desktop Bartons.

·
Registered
343 Posts
SWEEEEEEETTTTT.....
so lets say i drop one in....am i gonna have to do anythign that takes more skill than eating to overclock it liek i do my current chip???

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Plague
*NOTE: YOU NEED AN NFORCE2 MOTHERBOARD TO USE THESE
Why must I have an Nforce 2 Motherboard for these processors? Are they not socket A? I currently have an MSI KT3 Ultra 2 and just ordered a Mobile Barton 2500+? Tell me why this processor will not work.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:

just how it is, if you do run it on that board you'll have some problems
What type of problems? Name some!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Quote:

for one you'll be lucky if it boots, and if it does you'll prob be stuck at 600mhz.
Can't I reflash my bios or something? Are you saying that this combination is not possible at all?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
it has nothin to do with the bios, its just the chipsets archetecture. i dont know the details but its rare a via is functional with a mobile. i reccomend gettin a referbished abit nf7s for $64 on newegg.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That is not good to hear as this mobile processor will be here in a day and all so I can send it back when it doesn't work. Have you heard of anyone else getting this processor to work with this motherboard? or chipset? I am going to try anyhow.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
i just found out that it is possible to use it in a via board, this is very new info to me, can you confirm that they work with a via board? rogue

1 - 20 of 225 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.