Overclock.net banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do you guys know when the mobile Quad-core cpu's are gonna be available?
My dad wanted to buy a new laptop but he's on a budget , and he runs some heavy duty app: Fire Simulators and stuff so the cpu gets loaded during hours , and the software is made for several cpu's so a quad-core would be a very good buy for this.
Do the quad-cores worth waiting for?

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
20,746 Posts
If it can't run on a C2D lappy, that proggy has problems.

·
Registered
1,806 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It can run on any cpu, but it loads the 110%, it's like a torture test , but it calculates the spread of a fire.
And i takes like 6 hours calculating 10 mins( in a 1.8 ghz amd athlon 3200+, on my Pentium D only takes 2 hours doing the same)
That's why I asked if the Quad-cores are gonna be here soon.

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
Dont hold your breath...

·
Premium Member
4,054 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by [email protected]
View Post

It can run on any cpu, but it loads the 110%, it's like a torture test , but it calculates the spread of a fire.
And i takes like 6 hours calculating 10 mins( in a 1.8 ghz amd athlon 3200+, on my Pentium D only takes 2 hours doing the same)
That's why I asked if the Quad-cores are gonna be here soon.

A C2D is leagues ahead of your Pentium D and should do pretty well calculating the numbers. Heck these things fold at an amazing rate.

pink

·
Registered
908 Posts
4 cores, are you kidding! Think able how much of a heat problem we are having with just 2, these things will have to come with much better heatsinks, fans, and air flow. Don't even think about trying to overclock these babies! I think quad core tech needs to stay with desktops. Just my 2 cents

Jacob

·
Premium Member
5,703 Posts
Try a C2D laptop, stock Core 2 Duos are running Super Pi nearly twice as fast as my Pentium D at 4GHz, they're no joke. My PD 930 @ 4.13GHz ran Super Pi 1M in about 31 seconds back in the day, Core 2 Duos do it between 10-17 seconds!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts