Overclock.net banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was helping a friend set up his SSD into his new computer and after everything was installed and bios and drivers updated, I was trying to help install programs that I already had on my hard drive, however none of his usb ports that were plugged into his p8z68 mobo would work for storage devices, his mouse and keyboard were recognized instantly, but his usb took a while to recognize. After messing around with it his usb was formatted to FAT32 but when I tried to plug in my external hdd, it wouldn't be recognized, it spins up and I can feel it spinning, but it will not pop up on windows. The same thing happened with his external hard drive, after being plugged into the usb ports (both usb3 and usb2) it stopped being recognize. So I was wondering if there was a way to fix this.

his rig details
asus p8z68 pro/gen 3
i5 2500k

I returned to my own computer and plugged it into my usb drive and it will not show up. It powers up, but will not show up, not even in device manager or disk management. When I plug it in, the new device balloon does not pop up, yet when i plug my mouse into it, it pops up with the new device balloon

·
Registered
555 Posts
Have you tried connecting it directly to your mb through a sata/ide cable?

·
Premium Member
9,525 Posts

·
Registered
8,280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the sata to usb converter is fried because of the usb 3.0 port, it works when i connect it directly to the mobo, and works with another external enclosure through the USB

·
Registered
555 Posts
good that's more important that the drive works. especially in today's market.

would try to rma the adapter/enclosure though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts