Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After reading THIS on gamersnexus am reconsidering the TR over the 7960
https://www.gamersnexus.net/hwreviews/3066-intel-i9-7980xe-7960x-thermals-power-review

Assume I will also have to rethink my mobo choice if I go AMD
Should I go with ASUS ROG Zenith Extreme?

I WAS going to get the Asus ROG APEX to marry with the i9 CPU.

I need to install at least 3, optionally 4 air cooled FE GPUs.

Might as well go with the best if I'm saving almost $1000 on the CPU!

Any other suggestions?
 

·
Watercooled
Joined
·
873 Posts
I don't have too much experience with that platform i only assambled one, because here were i live is stupid expensive
biggrin.gif
. First my client got a GIGABYTE Gaming 7 that come with the foxconn socket, i don't even tried to apply the force necesary to tighten the screw, just returned and change it for a Zenith, zero issues just updated the BIOS and was a walk in the park
Be aware of that ! that the motherboard you will buy uses LOTES socket.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

I don't have too much experience with that platform i only assambled one, because here were i live is stupid expensive
biggrin.gif
. First my client got a GIGABYTE Gaming 7 that come with the foxconn socket, i don't even tried to apply the force necesary to tighten the screw, just returned and change it for a Zenith, zero issues just updated the BIOS and was a walk in the park
Be aware of that ! that the motherboard you will buy uses LOTES socket.
FYI, I believe ASUS and GBT both use Foxconn socket.. You can read through Newegg reviews and find the same thing. Best advice I have to give: forget AMD's 1>2>3 as a golden rule and tighten screws 2 and 3 down half a notch before starting at 1.

When you say FE GPUs you mean founder's edition GPUs? I was under the impression all GTX 1080 and TI and such are now limited to official 2-way SLI support?

Also, I have used almost all of the X399 boards on the market (in fact I think I have them all here except for maybe one or two models), i don't see much difference between them like you would on a X370 motherboard. That being said, the Zenith is definitely the most loaded when it comes to extra features, it's also the most expensive. Since AMD has standardized so much, vendors only have small ways to change things and make themselves stand out. If you have the money, go for the Zenith if you like its features and will use them. Also, if you go GBT, i would grab the Designare over the Gaming 7, although it's silver color isn't for everyone.
 

·
Watercooled
Joined
·
873 Posts
The zenith that i received has LOTES socket, as you say probably asus change the socket to FOXCONN.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks.
great info!
yes FE = Factory Edition or Founders Edition
GPUs for GPU rendering. SLI not needed, however, x16 speed beneficial

Are you aware of any x399 boards that have 4 x16 PCIE slots?
The Asus Zenith Extreme has 2 x16 and 2 x8.

The screw tightening sequence perhaps the reason for one of the complaints in this review?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92ekiLjLng
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

The zenith that i received has LOTES socket, as you say probably asus change the socket to FOXCONN.
Oh really, interesting. The one i have has a Foxconn and the one in the Newegg image uses foxconn, maybe ASUS changed it because of the complaints around the foxconn. I didn't find it to be such a big issue, I just try to screw the 2 and 3 in first a tiny bit, and not all foxconn sockets exhibit it (must be a margin of error type thing).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbach View Post

Thanks.
great info!
yes FE = Factory Edition or Founders Edition
GPUs for GPU rendering. SLI not needed, however, x16 speed beneficial

Are you aware of any x399 boards that have 4 x16 PCIE slots?
The Asus Zenith Extreme has 2 x16 and 2 x8.

The screw tightening sequence perhaps the reason for one of the complaints in this review?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U92ekiLjLng
I think almost all of them have a x16/x8/x16/x8 layout. The CPU offers a lot of lanes, but most vendors add in three M.2 slots, which don't allow for more CPU PCI-E lanes. If you want to check boards for their x16 layout, look at the back of the motherboard PCB, you can see how many pins are in each slot. Keep in mind, that on some boards, using certain M.2 or U.2 slots/ports can take away lanes from the bottom x8 slot.

The sequence is for all AMD TR4 sockets so the proper pressure is provided to the CPU so all pins make contact, but also if you tighten screws 2 and 3 too far, you won't be able to secure screw 1. I wouldn't worry too much about it TBH. That video, MSI typically uses Lottes sockets.
 

·
Watercooled
Joined
·
873 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sin0822 View Post

Oh really, interesting. The one i have has a Foxconn and the one in the Newegg image uses foxconn, maybe ASUS changed it because of the complaints around the foxconn. I didn't find it to be such a big issue, I just try to screw the 2 and 3 in first a tiny bit, and not all foxconn sockets exhibit it (must be a margin of error type thing).
I think almost all of them have a x16/x8/x16/x8 layout. The CPU offers a lot of lanes, but most vendors add in three M.2 slots, which don't allow for more CPU PCI-E lanes. If you want to check boards for their x16 layout, look at the back of the motherboard PCB, you can see how many pins are in each slot. Keep in mind, that on some boards, using certain M.2 or U.2 slots/ports can take away lanes from the bottom x8 slot.

The sequence is for all AMD TR4 sockets so the proper pressure is provided to the CPU so all pins make contact, but also if you tighten screws 2 and 3 too far, you won't be able to secure screw 1. I wouldn't worry too much about it TBH. That video, MSI typically uses Lottes sockets.
After your comment i search a bit on the web and almost all have foxconn socket as you said but i see some with lotes too. In the official web show lotes https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/gallery/ . Problably the first GIGABYTE i recived was a "bad" foxconn but I will admit that i don't tried to apply pressure because it cost too much and isn't mine
biggrin.gif
.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
13,266 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lexer View Post

After your comment i search a bit on the web and almost all have foxconn socket as you said but i see some with lotes too. In the official web show lotes https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-ZENITH-EXTREME/gallery/ . Problably the first GIGABYTE i recived was a "bad" foxconn but I will admit that i don't tried to apply pressure because it cost too much and isn't mine
biggrin.gif
.
I hear ya, that socket has so many pins hahaha It could be that earlier batches had the issue, and then vendors were like, dude foxconn, fix this now, ASUS was prob like, we are switching until you get your stuff together. You know, that socket is complicated, but try to deal with Intel's Purely, it's nuts, imagine putting the CPu into a holder tray where you actually have to touch the pins to push it into the tray (it's so dumb but maybe im not doing it right).
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top