Overclock.net banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, i'm getting ready in the next week or two to order my mobo and processor. I've been reading/hearing alot about the Opteron's, so i figured i'd get some help from people with experience

Which way do you think i should go?

Socket 939 / AMD 64 x2 4400+
Socket 939 / AMD Opteron single core or dual core?(no decision on model yet)
Socket 940 / 2x Opteron single cores
Socket 940 / 2x Opty dual cores?

I'm mainly concerned because i've been reading alot of negative stuff about the opty's here. people saying they're finding some opty dual cores with one bad core, or they just don't work together well, etc. I'm liking some of the other stuff i'm reading about opty's tho.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mostly gaming. F.E.A.R., Quake4, CS:S and HL2, etc. I am also slowly getting into overclocking and modding, so that may be a factor.

My main concern is, at the moment money isn't an issue. I've been stuck with a budget computer for 3 years now, so i really want to have a go at building something that will kinda keep up for a couple years to come. I'm really liking the idea of the 940 mobo and two optys, but then i don't know alot about optys or even why they are so popular lately. But after reading a few posts about them, and then seeing that the prices are fairly compareable to Athlon 64's, i figured i'd look into it.

but first i'm hoping to get some experienced and knowledgeable answers.

·
Premium Member
4,325 Posts
If you are strictly concerned with gaming, then I'd go for a single core San Diego or Opteron CPU. You'll want more clock speed than the ability to run multiple programs at the same instance. Pair that with a DFI MOBO and you'll have really extensive tweakability. The DFI SLI-DR Expert seems to be all the rage these days. I'd go with that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts