Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
looking for a motherboard to go with this cpu

i looked at 2 so far i dont know about intel so heres 2 that i picked trying not to go past 250 bucks with on board grapics..
mobo #1 mobo #2 mobo #3 just blding a cheap system right quick just to do some dvd editing so i can free up my other system (more gaming time hehe)
well just let me know but the gigabyte has the radon i wonder if its better than the intel extreme grapics is it or is it the same as performance wize ..

thx.......

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Onboard graphics is onboard graphics. I would be inclined to think the ATI will perform a little bit better, but seriously....it's onboard graphics.
And, if using the onboard graphics, don't plan on overclocking. If you're not going to be overclocking, why not get a more cost effective mobo (like an ECS or a Soyo) and spend the extra cash on a video card? They all perform pretty much the same at stock speeds.

....or, check out the Newegg refurb pile and get the best of all worlds: $40 for mobo - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...pe=Refurbished, $60 VC - http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProduc...102-439&depa=0 (or something cheaper....I'm just trying to spend all your budget to get you the best possible...but if you were going for onboard graphics, even a crappy PCI card would be comparable and let you OC away
).

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
na wont be overclocking ( hmm maybe lol )just need for video editing and decrypting so i can free up my main computer for gaming :shades2: . just trying to stay under 250.00 bucks looking for stability and somthing that will be solid ,..thx bro ill check what you have listed.. the msi doesnt say h/t rdy ...

Hows this one << and with the cpu i have listed above.. . im still looking around i didnt think to loo at the refurbished and the clearence hehe i forgot about that.. if anything that i post wount work to gether just let me know
(AMD Fan ) first intel.. p.s thxxxxxxx....:shades2:

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Not a bad video card choice there. As for the mobo, for stock operation, pretty much any 'ol non-performer will do. You'll get the most performance out of an 865 or 875 chipset board at stock speeds, but if you're looking to not blow the whole $250, then like I said any ol' thing will do. I can tell you that the PT880 chipset had major probelms with the prescotts, and being an upgrade to the PT800 chipset, I would recommend staying away from both.

:edit: Check out the MSI board's product page. It does indeed support prescott.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i was informed that intel doesn't have h/t for the 2.4.Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail. they start at 2.8 cpu .can you double check for me ..is that true ??.so that was a typo from newegg im glade i didn't send out for it yet ..now ill have to look for a 2.8 cpu, i heard that h/t is better for editing ect.. than the non h/t..is that true..??.but yea that msi board looks good too, i think ill just line up the ones you picked .. close my eyes . and just pick one of them lol .....oh hey, i called koolance and they shiped out my screws for the wawa block for the vcard . i was wondering its been over two weeks since i talked to the tech support ,,, anywho when they shipped it out they didn't have enough postage on it so it got sent back to koolance .. when i talked to him yesterday he said it was shipped out that day .. cool i would realy like to see what this vcard can do =p .. and i downloaded the beta drivers from guru3d ( 4.12 ) beta... once i get the wawa on there and the sticker on the case ill take a pic of the beast and ill see if i can just scan the pic with my scaner and place it in my folder.=p..

thx bro

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Who the hell told you that HTT starts at 2.8? :***: All 'C' chips are hyper-threaded, including the 2.4, 2.6 and 3.06 533 mhz FSB (<---I think that one was actually considered a 'B', but just throwing it out there for agrument's sake).
The 2.4's are some of the best overclockers out there, because of the lower multi.

·
Premium Member
1,559 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SINISTER

well i was informed that intel doesn't have h/t for the 2.4.Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail. they start at 2.8 cpu .can you double check for me ..is that true ??.so that was a typo from newegg im glade i didn't send out for it yet ..now ill have to look for a 2.8 cpu, i heard that h/t is better for editing ect.. than the non h/t..is that true..??

I got proof, my 2.4C with HT is alive and kicking, LOL. I have done video encoding and editing on both the 2.4C w/HT and the 2.4B w/o HT. The HT definitely makes a difference.

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SINISTER

well i was informed that intel doesn't have h/t for the 2.4.Intel Pentium 4/ 2.4C GHz 800MHz FSB, 512K Cache, Hyper Threading Technology - Retail. they start at 2.8 cpu .can you double check for me ..is that true ??.so that was a typo from newegg im glade i didn't send out for it yet ..now ill have to look for a 2.8 cpu, i heard that h/t is better for editing ect.. than the non h/t..is that true..??.but yea that msi board looks good too, i think ill just line up the ones you picked .. close my eyes . and just pick one of them lol .....oh hey, i called koolance and they shiped out my screws for the wawa block for the vcard . i was wondering its been over two weeks since i talked to the tech support ,,, anywho when they shipped it out they didn't have enough postage on it so it got sent back to koolance .. when i talked to him yesterday he said it was shipped out that day .. cool i would realy like to see what this vcard can do =p .. and i downloaded the beta drivers from guru3d ( 4.12 ) beta... once i get the wawa on there and the sticker on the case ill take a pic of the beast and ill see if i can just scan the pic with my scaner and place it in my folder.=p..

thx bro

You were confused with the Prescott. They start at 2.8GHZ and have hyper threading. Only the P4B doesn't have HT. I say go for the Abit mobo, since it has the 865 springdale and is cheap. The ATI IGP is a turd:turd: forget that pile. I would say get a GeForce FX5200 with some Corsair VS and call it a day. Get a nice big hard drive for your DVD decrypting too.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
well i called micro center just to compair prices and thats what he told ,me must be some guy in training lol i just wanted to make sure ..cool ok going to place the order for the vcard the fx 5600 xt ..to bad i missed the sale tho on the cpu .. now back up to 144..bucks n/p.. also this mobo you suggested is the best way to go and if i wanted to oc a little bit it will run stable ?? or how about this one 25 bucks more this will be the limit tho lol >> MSI < board just let me know..

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Yeah, the MSI is a decent board. It's not an Asus or Abit, but comes up about second-best to them. Should give you some decent clockability.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok bro ,, i went to microcenter to get some more blank media and i said well lets see what they have in the clearence section
.. well i said to myself ill be dam look what we have here..a msi 865PE Neo2 Platinum..for 60 bucks..hmmm
open the box looked ok.. But its buy as is no return no exchange ..so i just old my breath and said f it ill buy it..i emailed msi and i ask them if i have any problems that can i rma it through msi ..well im waiting for a response to that.. i download the manual.. ( no manual either)..so i bought a 150.00 mobo for 60 bucks Dam i hope this thing runs..anywho heres the mobo and Review i found .. well wish me luck lol..it will still take me some time to get all parts so.. about two more months .too complete system thx for the help...

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
haaaa, you went with a 9600P....I knew you wouldn't settle for a crap VC.
(just call it OC'ers intuition
). Nice find on the mobo!....and of course, you can always RMA to the manufacturer. Doing so through the dealer/distributor where you purchased it is always a lot more convenient, but going directly to the manufacturer is never not a possibility.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok damit lol i hate sales ..anywho theres 4 cpus to pick from now does 1mb cache realy make a diff from 512....
cpu #1 -- first one i picked first --$ 144.50 512 cache
cpu #2 --- this one i said well only 43.50 more lol ----$ 188.00 1 mb L2 cache
cpu #3 --- on sale for 73.50 more --$ 218.00 1 mb L2 cache

i started with 144 buck now maybe 218 lol which is 73.50 more now would i benifit more by getting the 3.2 than the 2.4,,well i guess i know that anserw lolanywho if you could which one would you get ...i hate sales ....p.s i wonder how much is it at regular price the 3.2....thxxxx and there all 1.525 volts and 800 fsb mhz..also

·
Premium Member
2,896 Posts
Well, if you're trying to keep it budget, go with the 2.4C...but if the budget has now gone out the window, then go for the 3.2E. Either one's a killer OC'er, but the raw GHz will give better performance. The extra cache does improve performance, as well.

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
like you said >> (just call it OC'ers intuition
). ill wait after christmas and see if it goes down anymore in price the 3.2 is 220 bucks as for now..ill get the money order for the vcard today..p.s did you read what i posted and presscots..

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well i waited after xmas..no sales lol on cpus.. the lowest i found was an pressy at 3.0 for 209 bucks .i just said ok thx ill go to newegg, he said newegg who i said Dell who alien what ***** .( i was drinking jack at the time). i just said never mind bro .:shades2: .and hung up.so i went to newegg , and ordered from them 3.2e 220.bucks..lol they beat everyones pricing..ill see how high i can get .im going to take out my ram from the nf7 and put it in the intel system and see what it can do (ocz pc3700eb 1 gig dual channel) if i need more volts for it i already have the ddr booster for back up since it didnt help on the nf7

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
well i called msi they will rma if i have any problems with it,so thats cool .kinda a relief..now when i install the 3.2e i can only up the fsb not the volts geeze so i wont be able to get a good clock out of the cpu but still not bad mobo for only 60. bucks this will be just for now anyways..so maybe just get 3.4 ghz maybe ..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts