Overclock.net banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
High guys.
I'm actually in a good mode considering my mobo died by my hands.
LOL

I will be re sleeving my PS with some good quality black sleeving,routing the harnesses to the back of the case behind my mobo.

Also painting my case all gloss black. Should look pretty cool with the blue lighting and blue water.

But my question is::

Having to swap the SAME MOBO-SAME MODEL-SAME BRAND.
Will i have to reinstall windows again?

·
Banned
2,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by dpg

I don't think so... Unless windows remembers mobos serial numbers or something

Thanks man. That was good to here.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Just back up your stuff anyway. A fresh Windows install gives you faster performance anyway compared to Windows that has been installed for a while.

·
Registered
2,338 Posts
i cant see what problems you would have as long as the bios is the same which may not even matter.

·
Premium Member
10,655 Posts
you should be fine... same mobo and you won't have to reinstall windows. if it does give you problems just put your windows disc in and do a repair and that should clear things up...

a word of caution... make sure you hook everything up exactly the same... and if you have a RAID config you need to set that up again

·
Registered
365 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by soloz2

you should be fine... same mobo and you won't have to reinstall windows. if it does give you problems just put your windows disc in and do a repair and that should clear things up...

a word of caution... make sure you hook everything up exactly the same... and if you have a RAID config you need to set that up again

The most you should HAVE to do is a repair install, but a fresh install would give you better performance. Also keep in mind Windows will make you re-activate after a set amount of hardware changes (yes, it remembers serial numbers), if you have an OEM Windows.

That sucks about your mobo too.

·
Registered
2,859 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lohoutlaw

High guys.
I'm actually in a good mode considering my mobo died by my hands.
LOL

I will be re sleeving my PS with some good quality black sleeving,routing the harnesses to the back of the case behind my mobo.

Also painting my case all gloss black. Should look pretty cool with the blue lighting and blue water.

But my question is::

Having to swap the SAME MOBO-SAME MODEL-SAME BRAND.
Will i have to reinstall windows again?

Hi Lohoutlaw,

My belief like others is No. Windows looks at the HAL (Hardware Abstract Layer) when trying to define if it's been taking to a new computer. The motherboard is the key. Since everything is the same, there should not be a problem. If you do have one try this link:

http://www.annoyances.org/

They have an excellent data base and ways to cope with a cranky Windows XP operating system.. In fact I followed their advice when changing motherboards and it went real well. Personally I don't like having to re-download all of those security fixes, updates, etc... What a pain! and losing everything and starting over is well a pain too.

I've learned to clone one hard drive to another and do it every couple of months. If one of the hard drive fails I can quickly get up and running again.

I hope this helped, :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.