Overclock.net banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it possible to mod or make a power button? My motherboard has a 24-pin connector, but my dell case has a 20 pin connector (dem. 2350 for ref.). I lucked out in that fact my mobo actually has it's own power button on it, but I still need a power button eventually. If someone could make a power button (I'll pay for supplies and shipping of course) or tell me how to mod mine, that would be a huge help.

·
Premium Member
4,807 Posts
I'm not sure what you are asking here.... Your case doesn't have a power button? Having a 20 pin or 24 pin connector has nothing to do with the power button....

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was worried people would get confused on this. It's not the actual 24-pin power connector, but it is a 24-pin connector, the connector that goes from your power button to you motherboard.

·
Registered
1,994 Posts
If you're talking about the power supply then even if it's a 20pin connecter on your mobo you can still plug a 24 pin connector in. There's only one way that it'll fit.

If you are just talking about the power button that turns the computer on, there are two pins that you jump to start the comp. You can connect a switch there or even use a screwdriver to just touch the two pins together to start your comp up.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
what? my little power button has on the end of the wires i think a little 2pin jumper type connector that i plug into the motherboard.... im not sure what your asking about either...

·
Registered
688 Posts
i think he is sayin his dell has a propriety 20pin front IO connecetor that his power button is lost in so he wants to know how to make one?
Am i right?

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look at the picture I attached. I circled the 24-pin connector. That's what you're suppose to plug the power button into, but my power button won't fit into it.

Edit\\\\ YES iker0!!!! THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR CLEARING THAT UP.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by iker0

i think he is sayin his dell has a propriety 20pin front IO connecetor that his power button is lost in so he wants to know how to make one?
Am i right?

You are
the question is does he want to use his dell power button or add his own power button to a dell?

The standard power button on computers is a temporary on push button that is normaly open. it will be spst but dpst would be fine as well

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
ok! wow... u wanna look into you users manual and see which two pins on the motherboard u connect the pins from the power switch to.... its easy...

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It doesn't matter if I reuse the button or not, whichever is simpler, but keep in mind that I would still have to push the button on the front of the case, not just have a on/off button dangling somewhere.

Edit\\\\ pbasil1, I don't quite understand you. I found the online manual, maybe you could explain in terms of that?
http://www.biostar-usa.com/mbdownloa...RCE%206100-939

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
That 24 pin u are referring to us a stock dell SWITCH 2 of the prongs or connectors is for the switch. yes u can make ur own switch im assuming that attached pic was an after market mobo. only thing u really need is 2 CONNECTORS. the rest is for reset power led and hdd led, u can buy a premade one or if u wanna make ur own and look good i suggest buying a bulgin switch with connectors/ harness.
http://xoxide.com/hspc-atx-control-kit.html
http://xoxide.com/vl-system-touch-one.html
http://www.frozencpu.com/search.html...&Submit=Submit

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
SpookedJunglist, could you please explain spst and dpst, I don't know anything about them.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin_tsoi2000

It doesn't matter if I reuse the button or not, whichever is simpler, but keep in mind that I would still have to push the button on the front of the case, not just have a on/off button dangling somewhere.

What you need to do is look in your motherboards manual for your motherboard header pin diagram. On that you will see where you need your power switch to connect. Then you need to figure out which is the power switch in your dell case. Ways you can do this is by taking apart your case and following the button and seperate those two wires. After that you need to make it go on the pins you found in the diagram.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kevin_tsoi2000

SpookedJunglist, could you please explain spst and dpst, I don't know anything about them.

Single pole, single throw-- one pole means there's two pins on the back, when the button is pushed (or the switch is thrown) the circuit is complete. SIngle throw means it can only be pushed in one direction form its static state.

Double pole, single throw-- there would be four pins, two different circuits to use, if you wished, both single thrown.

Page 13 in the .pdf file (page 8 in the hardcopy) of thte manual shows the "front panel facilities" header J1. Pins 13 and fifteen, if shorted together, provide the Reset signal. Pins 14 and 16, if shorted, are Power.

So, if you were to isolate teh wires for the existing case harness that lead to the power button and connected them one to 14, the other to 16, you would have your power button functionality restored.

If you are willing to foot the bill, I'll fly over to your house and fix it for you.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you for all the responses guys. I've decided to either spend some money to get a VL System Touch One Power Switch, which looks freaking awesome, or I may do some moding of my own. Only problem with the latter is I don't think the end of my connector will fit onto my mobo, which is really weird. I've tried every way to put it on, but it just don't fit.

Edit\\\\ Dngrsone, if I could buy a plane ticket for you to fix this, I would just say to hell with it and grab myself a new case
Thank you for the very good explanation though, very helpful. Only problem is again, Dell parts don't like to make new friends

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dngrsone

Single pole, single throw-- one pole means there's two pins on the back, when the button is pushed (or the switch is thrown) the circuit is complete. SIngle throw means it can only be pushed in one direction form its static state.

Double pole, single throw-- there would be four pins, two different circuits to use, if you wished, both single thrown.

Page 13 in the .pdf file (page 8 in the hardcopy) of thte manual shows the "front panel facilities" header J1. Pins 13 and fifteen, if shorted together, provide the Reset signal. Pins 14 and 16, if shorted, are Power.

So, if you were to isolate teh wires for the existing case harness that lead to the power button and connected them one to 14, the other to 16, you would have your power button functionality restored.

If you are willing to foot the bill, I'll fly over to your house and fix it for you.

Thanks for the Explanation. I must have left work durring that time

1 - 17 of 17 Posts