Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 103 Posts

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
LAST MAJOR FIX: 0.05.3 (480 ID version had the wrong ID -.-" I'm dumb - 580 ID version untouched)
LAST THREAD CHANGES: Added ZeroFan offset to the offsets list
SHOULD YOU UPDATE?

• Use ANY ID version < 0.05.1? YES - MAJOR FIX RELEASED
  • Use 480 ID version < 0.05.3? YES - MAJOR FIX RELEASED
  • Use 580 ID version = 0.05.1? Not needed, but suggested (minor mem OC fix)
  • Use 580 ID version = 0.05.2? Not needed

FEATURES + CHANGE-LOGS:

• (From 0.01) Based on the last available OC bios (The one clocked at 1342 MHz at with stock +25 mV voltage offset) for Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB.
  • (From 0.01) 80 °C target temperature (from stock 75 °C, delay temp throttling)
  • (From 0.01) TDP = Max Power Limit = 300 W and TDC 200 A (0.05 update improved this). Basically you obtain the same result of 50% PowerLimit without touching that slider
  • (0.05 update) UEFI Patch added (untested since I do/can not use UEFI)!
    • (0.05.2 update) Updated to Version: 1.67.0.15.50 (Build date: Oct 18 2018.14:11:59)
  • (0.02 update) Raised the bios image size from 0xE600 to 0xEC00 0xE800 (0.05 update).
  • (0.02 update) 1000 MHz memory step (like an RX 580 actually implemented not copy-paste from a RX 580 bios)
  • (0.04 update) RX 580 Fake ID - Skip driver bios check, basically the card is now recognized as RX 580 and not anymore as RX 480. This is done because the RX 5xx series bios is not checked by the driver, so you do not need atikmdag-patcher to make the driver load properly. (0.05 update) "Minimal patch", now only 1 byte is changed (OFFSET = 0xD6, value changed from 0xC6 to 0xE6).
    • (0.05.2 update) Also RX 480 ID version of this bios is available. May help with mem OC instability with 18.11.1+ drivers. You will need atikmdag-patcher, since drivers checks for modded bios on 4xx series.
  • Some VRM related settings (the most important ones) are present inside the bios. You can find the best values with software like VRMTool and after that you can make them permanent by change the value directly inside the bios file (with hex editors like HxD).
    • Voltage Offset Loop 1 (BIOS Stock)
    • VRM Switching Frequency Loop 1 (From 0.01)
    • VRM Switching Frequency Loop 2 (0.05 Update) It seems to help with memory stability.
    • Loadline Calibration (From 0.01)
    • Vmax Limit booth loops (0.03 update but broken, 0.05 fixed it)
    • (0.05 update) Removed "Load Balancing" and "Output Current Scale" (ask if you want them back)
  • (0.05.1 update) Fixed a wrong offset (thanks @hellm to point that out), inside the PowerPlay subtables! This could have been really bad! Luckily if your card never hit 109 °C you should be fine.
  • (0.05.2 update) Fixed vrm switching frequency for Loop 2, Was 0xA0 (300 kHz, I do not know... why I wrote that ?????) when it should be 0x78 (400 kHz stock value). May help with mem OC instability with 18.11.1+ drivers.
  • (0.05.2 update) Changed/Updated the "Vento's" version of this bios (the settings that I use every day).
  • (0.05.2 update) The 1.3 Volt WattMan Version now has a Vmax limit set to 0x53. See the dedicated paragraphs to know more.
  • (0.05.3 fix) 480 ID version was using the 470 ID... I'm ultra dumb... sorry everyone for the mistake
INTERESTING OFFSETS LIST:
  • Target temperature: OFFSET = 0x9F18 (Value 0x50 = 80 -> 80 °C)
  • Last memory step VDDCI voltage: OFFSET = 0x9E2D (Value: 0x0B = 11 -> index of 1000 mV)
    • This is not the value that you see inside PBE! This is the "real" VDDCI
    • The value is an index of a list of possible values. Here I'll wrote only the value that makes "sense". DO NOT TRY OTHER VALUES! TELL ME IF YOU NEED DIFFERENT ONES:
      • 0x08 -> 850 mV
      • 0x09 -> 900 mV
      • 0x0A -> 950 mV
      • 0x0B -> 1000 mV
      • 0x0C -> 1050 mV
      • 0x0D -> 1100 mV
      • 0x0E -> 1150 mV
  • ZeroFan: OFFSET = 0x9F28 (Default value: 0x01 -> ON)
    • 0x00 -> OFF
    • 0x01 -> ON
  • Voltage Offset Loop 1: OFFSET = 0xA9EC (Value: 0x04 = 4 -> 4 * 6.25 mV = 25 mV)
  • VRM Switching Frequency
    • Loop 1: OFFSET = 0xA9F0 (Value: 0x60 -> 500 kHz)
    • Loop 2: OFFSET = 0xA9F4 (Value: 0x78 -> 400 kHz).
    • See this guide (done by @gupsterg) to properly know how to change those values.
    • This graphics card has IR3553 power stages.
      • There is no real point to exceed 800 kHz (0x3C). Sweet-spot got from datasheet.
      • Can handle at max 1 MHz (0x30). Tons of heat!
  • Loadline Calibration: OFFSET = A9F8 (Default value: 0x81 -> OFF)
    • 0x81 -> OFF
    • 0x01 -> ON
  • Vmax Limit (both loops): OFFSET = 0xAA00 (Value: 0xFF -> unlimited)
    • See this guide (done by @gupsterg) to properly know how to change this value
    • Useful for spikes reductions!
    • 1 byte for both loops.
      • High half-byte -> Loop 1
      • Low half-byte -> Loop 2
    • I strongly suggest to set Vmax to the lowest value above you max voltage
      • For stock voltage (1150 mv + 25 mv offset = 1175 mV) use 0x44 to get ~1.250 Volt Limit.
      • The next "step" is 0x55 and gives you a ~1.365 Volt limit. Btw, if you do not plan to go aboive 1.250 0x44 is perfectly fine.
        • Anyway 0x54 would make more sense (VDDCI on Loop 2 sould never go too high)
      • "Why not 0x33?" Too low even for stock... ~1.140 Volt limit.
      • If you do not plan to rise VDDCI above 1100 mV (the next available step is 1150 mV) you write 3 in the low half byte.
        • Example: I use 0x43, ~1.25 Volt loop 1 limit and ~1.14 Volt loop2 limit.
BUG??? WattMan settings are weird / Overclock fail to apply / Mem Overclock fails / How to properly change OC inside WattMan
Sometimes a strange bug occurs that makes most overclock to fail, or weird overclock to apply (expecially memory oc).What you need to do is to:
  • Start from clean drivers (use DDU, +atikmdag-patcher if you use the 480 ID version of this bios)
  • Close any GPU related program (HWiNFO, GPU-Z, Afterburner, TRIXX, VRMTool, ...)
    • And remove them from auto-start
  • Shutdown (erase weird VRM register values, not really needed, just to be sure)
  • Open Radeon Settings
  • Open WattMan Settings (wait a bit, ~10 sec)
  • Press Reset
    • Now there might be weird mem clock values
  • Change the mem. clock slider
    • Never tried other sliders but it should work anyway
  • Press Discard (Not Reset! Press Discard!)
  • Change the OC as you want
  • You may have to repeat this process every time you see weird OC values
  • Btw, it seems to be a driver issue.
F.A.Q.:
  • Yes, this is an 8GB Samsung memory version but if you want you can
    • change the supported memory with PolarisBiosEditor, density, size and things like that (BAD, BUT SHOULD WORK).
    • Copy the whole VRAM_info table from your bios dump to mine (GOOD, use ATOMTableResize).
  • Yes the timings are stock. Mem chips are different from a card to another, find the best timings for your card and use PBE to edit this bios.
  • Do you think that more register should be added? Here there is the list of all known registers (done by @gupsterg). Write here which register you would like to see added.
  • Where I can find the previous versions? Starting from 0.05 there is no reason to keep outdated mods.
  • Remember to open this bios with PBE, after you edited manually with HxD (or any hex editor). PBE will warn you about broken checksum and will let you fix it automatically
HOW TO UPDATE (paranoid way):
  • Reset any OC on Radeon Settings -> Wattman
  • Choose which bios file you want to use
    • 480 ID or 580 ID version
    • 480 ID version need drivers to be patch with atikmdag-patcher
  • Download and use atiflash version >= 2.84
    • Open a admin command prompt (also powershell is ok)
    • Close any program except for the cmd prompt
      • Be careful to not leave program open in the system try (like HWiNFO, TRIXX, GPU-Z ...)
    • Run ".\AtiFlash -p <adapter_id> <bios_filename>"
      • Adapter id is 0 if you have only 1 card
      • If you have multiple card you have to repeat the process for every adapter id (0, 1, 2 ...)
  • If you change the ID (480 to 580 or 580 to 480).
    • Download updated offline driver installer
      • GPU drivers
      • AMD chipset drivers (if you have an AMD CPU)
        • Sometimes AMD chipset drivers are removed in this process
    • Disconnect from internet
    • Remove drivers
    • Clean drivers with DDU (find guide online)
    • When your PC has no driver flash new bios
      • Add "-fs" or "-f" IF atiflash bothers you (but it should not)
    • Use again DDU
      • Remove traces of a "Ghost" GPU (changing ID is like installing a new GPU)
    • Install drivers as always
    • I follow this procedure also when I want to simply update chipset and/or GPU driver (except for the last DDU clean)
"WHICH VALUES/MODS/SETTINGS DO YOU USE VENTO"?:
Right now I'm more interested on finding a good mem OC (while keeping 0 memory errors), so my current settings is:

• Stock switching frequency both loops
    • In future I will try 800 kHz on loop 2 to test/improve mem OC
  • Loadline Calibration disabled (stock)
    • Will use it later to test more aggressive core OC
  • 2100 MHz Mem OC
  • Custom strap on the 2000 memory step
    • based on 1750 and changed one value at time (with R_Timings, a program by me)
  • Vmax set to 0x43. Nice spikes reductions.
    • ~1.25 Volt limit loop 1
    • ~1.14 Volt limit loop 2.
  • VDDCI voltage set to 1100 mV
  • 0.5% Core OC on all states -> Max OC is 1350 MHz.
    • No fixed voltage values trick so base voltages raise a bit (+6.25 mV, not everytime).
  • 0 voltage offset -> -25 mV from stock
    • GPU is not "starving" but it's the bare minimum to sustain my small core OC.
    • Lower temp than stock
  • Custom "Silent" fan curve (set by TRIXX, I'm working to get this properly inside BIOS)
  • ULPS Disabled (Regedit tweak)
  • PCIe Link State Power Management Disabled (Windows power settings)
  • 480 ID + atikmdag-patcher. Mem OC seems easier and more stable if the card reports the real ID
  • 0% power limit. Since it's already have a +50% applied to base limit I set the power limit slider to reach max 0% so I do not tuch it by error.
Remember that my card use hybrid cooling (water and air) and your card may not be able to sustain the core OC (even if really small, +0.5%) at ~-25 mV from stock settings.

In the zip attached to this thread there is a "Vento's" version, with the settings previously described, but there are some difference:

• Custom timings strap on the 2000 step. You'll find the base 1750 strap since the custom one may not work on every card.
  • UEFI disabled, I do not use it so I remove it. All the bios I post have the UEFI patch available and enabled.
  • I use the 480 ID version (card is recognized properly as 480, as stock) but there is also a 580 ID version (mem oc seems to suffer from it). Of course I have to use the atikmdag-patcher or the drivers do not properly work.
1.300 Volt WATTMAN VERSION:
I've added a 1.3 Volt version:
  • As name suggest, it allows to set core voltages higher than 1.175 Volt directly in WattMan.
  • Core voltages are now "fixed" (long technical explanation on what "fixed" and "not fixed" values means... On PBE you see directly the voltages values and no more 65*** values)
  • Vmax limit (by VRM controller) set to 0x53
    • ~1.37 Volt limit loop 1
    • ~1.14 Volt limit loop 2.
  • Voltage offset is still +25
Use it carefully! I actually do not like this version, since changing the max voltage (allowed by WattMan) to 1.3 is not done "properly", it mess with other calculation that are later "ignored".
The problem is that I'm not 100% sure that the "unwanted changes" are properly "ignored".
Always prefer using the base mod and changing voltage offset to go beyond 1.175 mv (WattMan usual voltage limit).
TODO:
  • Find out if the updated (1.67) UEFI Patch really works and if it breaks Zero Fan feature.
  • Find out if the 1.3 Volt trick is really safe. Always prefer using the base mod and changing voltage offset to go beyond 1.175 mv (WattMan usual voltage limit).
DO YOU HAVE ANOTHER Sapphire RX 480 MODEL? (4 GB or not-"OC" or not-"NITRO+")
Overly simplified guide to convert this mod for the other not-reference RX 480 made by Sapphire.
I'm not 100% sure that the various PCB are compatible, that's your job to find out.
I just wrote the step I would follow if the only difference in the PCB are the ram modules.
Following this guide will also copy the mem strap from your original bios.

I'm not responsible of any damage on your GPU.

• This bios is for the "Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC 8GB" also known as "11260-01-20"
  • Find out your card model/product number/code is (usually written on the box)
  • Find out if your card PCB is the "same/compatible" with this (back)
    • It almost 99% have different ram modules ...
    • ... it's ok since that's what this guide is about
    • "Compatible" could means a lot of things... I'm NOT responsible for damage to your GPU
  • Download my tool: ATOMTableResize
    • Yup you need java
    • Probably also read a bit on how to use that tool
  • Download AtiFlash
  • Use AtiFlash to save your current GPU Bios (if you do not already have done that)
    • Open a cmd prompt with admin right where you have extracted AtiFlash
    • Close every other program
    • Execute "AtiFlash -s 0 dump.rom"
  • With ATOMBiosResize open your original GPU bios
    • Find the "VRAM_info" table
    • Click "Export" and save it somewhere
    • Close
  • Download (attached to this post) and choose which version of my mod you would like to use
  • With ATOMBiosResize open the bios file you want to mod
    • Find the "VRAM_info" table
    • Click "Import" and choose the table previously exported from your original bios
    • Click "Fix Everything" if needed (even multiple times, if needed)
    • Save your new bios (and probably move it in the AtiFlash folder so it's easier to use it)
  • Flash you new bios

Special Thanks to...
  • @Jestercore we were trying RX 580/480 bios and exchanging results for months
  • @generaleramon for general VRM & memory mod help, and because he's Italian like me
  • @deeper-blue for VRMTool and general VRM help
  • @BromoL for WattTool
  • @gupsterg I lurked for years thanks to yours excellent guides
  • buildzoid for PCB breakdowns videos and knowledge about VRM and memory timings
  • @mynm "ASIC_ProfilingInfo" table tweaks. Team member.
  • @hellm UEFI Patch :D. Team member.

Attachments

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhazz View Post

That post on Reddit is 5 month old...

It is THAT BIOS, isn't it?
It's based on those (you can find them in the internet since there is the sha)

Those two bios are just an updated version of the silent and oc bios for a nitro+ oc, they act like usual. My mod is based on these two bios and all the features implemented were done manually by me xD (except for the 1.175 vmax, that's a peculiarity of the silent bios).

Do you have a nitro+ oc?

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vento041 View Post

It's based on those (you can find them in the internet since there is the sha)

Those two bios are just an updated version of the silent and oc bios for a nitro+ oc, they act like usual. My mod is based on these two bios and all the features implemented were done manually by me xD (except for the 1.175 vmax, that's a peculiarity of the silent bios).

Do you have a nitro+ oc?
Yes I have, 8Gb samsung memory, that don't OC very well by the way...

In afterburner I have -6mv core voltage +0PL% 1360Mhz clock and 2050memory. That the best I can get considering heat, noise, memory error (i like to have 0 all the time).
Oh, and I have set Core voltage to 1135 in WattTool. So it peaks at 1.156V (GPU-z and HWinfo sensor reading) Should'nt it be 1.154 (1135 + 25 - 6)?

All that with ubermix timing 3.1 from generaleramon. That's all I have modded in the bios.

Have test some RX580 mod, but gave up as now I just want to enjoy and play games lol.
So I'm stick with RX480bios and some minor tweeks.
Or maybe try BIOS from someone with same card that shares his work with others, like you do
wink.gif

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhazz View Post

In afterburner I have -6mv core voltage +0PL% 1360Mhz clock and 2050memory. That the best I can get considering heat, noise, memory error (i like to have 0 all the time).
Oh, and I have set Core voltage to 1135 in WattTool. So it peaks at 1.156V (GPU-z and HWinfo sensor reading) Should'nt it be 1.154 (1135 + 25 - 6)?
Or maybe try BIOS from someone with same card that shares his work with others, like you do
wink.gif
[/quote]

Are you using my bios?
Does it works well? The 2mV spike could be just loadline effect, if you use my bios remember that the native offset is 0 so if you set 1000 mV core voltage you'll get 1000 mV.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Quote:

Are you using my bios?
Does it works well? The 2mV spike could be just loadline effect, if you use my bios remember that the native offset is 0 so if you set 1000 mV core voltage you'll get 1000 mV.
No it's the original BIOS (not MY original, but the one I linked in my previous post. I will give a try to yours this evening and tell you what happens.

Thanks for help and rep anyway
wink.gif

·
hex junkie
854 Posts
how did you implemented the 1000MHz mem step? Does this also include any GPU stuff? The complete 580 PowerPlayTable?

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by hellm View Post

how did you implemented the 1000MHz mem step? Does this also include any GPU stuff? The complete 580 PowerPlayTable?
Nope, I studied how the PowerPlayTable is structured in both an RX 4xx bios and a RX 5xx bios, but evrything was don by patching the original powerplaytable

I used as reference readon linux drivers (atombios.h, etc, ... ) and OhGodATool source (there is an error in the offsets, "uint32_t MaxODMemClk;" start from 0x1B not 0x1A, and all the other offsets after that! So the sub-table starts from 0x23 not 0x22!).

Since I inserted a frequency step between 300 and 2000, the "index" of the 2000 step has changed so I had to replace most of the reference to this step (I remember that in IT we start to count from 0!!!! so 300 have index 0 and 2000 had index 1).

I modded these sub-tables:
  • PolarisMemClkDepTable, added new record, updated records count and updated lenght, each record is D bytes long (D hex = 14 dec)
  • PolarisVCEStateTable, indexes of some records
  • PolarisState, "MemClockIdxHigh" from 1 (the old index of 2000) to 2 (the new index of 2000)
  • PPTableHeader, updated lenght and changed sub-tables offsets since PolarisMemClkDepTable is bigger

Fun fact: if you forget to update the indexes your memory will (logically) cap at 1000 MHz.

·
hex junkie
854 Posts
thx for the info
smile.gif

i need just a little more.. VRM switching frequency:
Quote:
Change VRM Frequency: search these Hex Values "00 62 00 7E 00 69 00 20 00 8D 00 00 00 22 00 60" and change the "60" at the end.
i looked over the 480 nitro+ bios (that bios^^), and the voltage object info table:

..and it stops right after byte 2B. No fSW, no register 22. Where did u find 500kHz switching frequency? Not set is default?

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

thx for the info
smile.gif

i need just a little more.. VRM switching frequency:
i looked over the 480 nitro+ bios (that bios^^), and the voltage object info table:

..and it stops right after byte 2B. No fSW, no register 22. Where did u find 500kHz switching frequency? Not set is default?
The silent bios has nor voltage offset or fSW, the oc bios has only the voltage offset, since I base my work on the silent bios (higher Vmax) i added them both manually. The default values comes from what VRMTool report (or directly from any kind of way to dump I2C and reading registers directly) with stock OC bios installed.

I'm not completely sure about the origin of the default values, since different bios, all without the 22 register explicitly set, can have different default value. The reference, as example, should use ~300 MHz if I'm not wrong. Probably all these different values are "auto-set" by IR3567B, calculated from other register values and/or from live on-boot PCB measurements (I do not really know I'm just assuming how it could have been done).

·
hex junkie
854 Posts
so u just added the bytes, and recalculated tables? Does this cause "that UEFI thing"?

i think default values are programmend onto the Controller, should have a few kB flashrom.
I mean, if a card don't has i2c, both vrmtool and afterburner read nothing, the bios don't suddenly switch between protocols and uses another "vrm"-table or whatsoever possible?
i just hope i can assume, no register set in the VOITable -> great, no harm done. Besides the registers set in the original bios, of course.

I checked the bios of a 480 Nitro without the "+", the VOITable is almost exact the same as in the 580 Nitro+ Bios. it's the card without I²C, memclock is 1750MHz stock, though it really has the same K4G Samsungs on it, we have.
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/187223/sapphire-rx480-8192-160921-1
https://www.techpowerup.com/vgabios/191262/sapphire-rx580-8192-170320

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

so u just added the bytes, and recalculated tables? Does this cause "that UEFI thing"?
that UEFI thing is actually cause by any kind of mod. I simply explicitly disabled UEFI.

From Hawaii bios edit thread

·
hex junkie
854 Posts
hm, in my mb-bios (z77-ud3h) i have set the Legacy+UEFI boot option. it's default, nothing changed. Should i deactivate UEFI in my Custom 580 Rom for the 480 ref? As a safety precaution? Or use that updater i copuldn'T find yet?

thx again for all the infos
thumb.gif

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

hm, in my mb-bios (z77-ud3h) i have set the Legacy+UEFI boot option. it's default, nothing changed. Should i deactivate UEFI in my Custom 580 Rom for the 480 ref? As a safety precaution? Or use that updater i copuldn'T find yet?

thumb.gif
If you do not use uefi there is no real problem. I disable UEFI because without a patch (that let's be clear it does not fix it 100%), it will not work for sure.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:

thumb.gif
Hi

GOP Updater this is the last one avaiable.

Doesn't work in modded bioses at least on RX580, in attachment is the magical UEFI from @gupsterg thanks to him, with this UEFI just overwrite yours and will be fine, even if you mod your BIOS "n" times, it will still working, that's why I call it magical.
smile.gif

AMDGOP1.60.0.15.50_signed_DF3D9980_compr.efirom.zip 58k .zip file

Attachments

·
hex junkie
854 Posts
Thx! how do i find the GOP/UEFI section in the bios again?

This is what i do next, add that UEFI and subid/vendor to AMD.
smile.gif

·
Registered
112 Posts
Quote:

Thx! how do i find the GOP/UEFI section in the bios again?

This is what i do next, add that UEFI and subid/vendor to AMD.
smile.gif
Search for "gop" in HxD.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Been using this bios for a few days, working excellent! Curious on what has changed in the version you just updated?

Cheers!

·
AMD BIOS Alchemist
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeb101 View Post

Been using this bios for a few days, working excellent! Curious on what has changed in the version you just updated?

Cheers!
Just a really minor thing, basically the UEFI is not working since this is a modded bios (I'm too lazy to add the fixed/modded UEFI image xD I'll do it later hahaha).

I disabled UEFI but the broken image was "still there", neve read from anyone, but technically still there... I removed the image and replaced it with an empty section ("FF" bytes).

·
Registered
80 Posts
Quote:

Just a really minor thing, basically the UEFI is not working since this is a modded bios (I'm too lazy to add the fixed/modded UEFI image xD I'll do it later hahaha).

I disabled UEFI but the broken image was "still there", neve read from anyone, but technically still there... I removed the image and replaced it with an empty section ("FF" bytes).
Sounds good, so technically don't need to update then? I use the GOP/UEFI tool to add it again, no problem on that end either. I need to boot UEFI on my machine due to the environment.

1 - 20 of 103 Posts