Overclock.net banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to buy sleeved cables for my Corsair AX860 and I am seeing on a lot of sites a very large (usually 2x) price difference between extensions and full cables (that go from psu to component). For example, Ensourced is about double the cost-

extensions
http://www.ensourced.net/green-scale-paracord-sleeved-extensions/

full Corsair cables
http://www.ensourced.net/custom-corsair-axi-series-cables/

With an up coming scratch build I may not have any space behind the motherboard to hide the original cables if I go with extensions. So It would still be cheaper to get the extensions with a set of psu connectors below.

http://www.moddiy.com/categories/Connectors/Modular-Connectors/

Would it be difficult for a cable-sleeve-noob (me) to swap out the female connectors of the extensions for these psu connectors? Or would that be a bad idea/ just as hard as sleeving my own? I have never tried to yank the connector off a psu cable before. Or if it is easy to get them off then maybe I just cannibalize the connectors on my existing Corsair cables?

Being able to use extensions would also really open up my options (even though Corsair AX is popular)

Thoughts please or point me if my search missed a thread about this.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Yeah dude just make your own. Yes it takes (depending on how good you are) hours to do a set of cables, but it works and looks great. The problem with extensions is that it is a pin-on-pin contact, and because of that people sometimes experience random crashes, failures, act.

Bite the bullet, sleeve your own

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
I would recommend getting a stiff wire and making your own full set, especially if going with paracord. I used the original wires on my psu but had to change a few out that I had damaged. The stiff wire I bought sleeved a lot easier and faster than the flimsy stock wire. It will take some time but you won't be disappointed in the results.
thumb.gif

If you are going to de-pin the cables you might want to invest in the molex tool, its worth the $15-20 with how much time and frustration it saves lol. Also a good crimper might be a good idea, or just buy pre-crimped wires and save yourself the hassle.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheGHz View Post

Yeah dude just make your own. Yes it takes (depending on how good you are) hours to do a set of cables, but it works and looks great. The problem with extensions is that it is a pin-on-pin contact, and because of that people sometimes experience random crashes, failures, act.

Bite the bullet, sleeve your own
So there is a practical, performance based reason to not use extensions. Good to know!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deedaz View Post

I would recommend getting a stiff wire and making your own full set, especially if going with paracord. I used the original wires on my psu but had to change a few out that I had damaged. The stiff wire I bought sleeved a lot easier and faster than the flimsy stock wire. It will take some time but you won't be disappointed in the results.
thumb.gif

If you are going to de-pin the cables you might want to invest in the molex tool, its worth the $15-20 with how much time and frustration it saves lol. Also a good crimper might be a good idea, or just buy pre-crimped wires and save yourself the hassle.
I have some research to do in that FAQ thread about the wire thickness and if using thicker wires will in fact give me better performance. Watching some videos I see that removing the connector to replace with Corsair ones is totally a viable option I think. And yea, I would buy a tool instead of using bent staples.

I am not yet convinced to completely make my own cables but I am going to take one of my modular psu cables that I will never use and play with it to learn. For the scratch build case I am making this summer I may kinda push the custom cables to Phase 2 so I can learn more about it while I design and build the case. Then match the cables to the case color scheme.

Thanks for the advice guys

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
I practiced on one of my spare vga cables to get the hang of sleeving. One reason to make a completely new set of cables is the capacitors/double wires. To make a clean sleeving project you'll want to cut those caps off and redo the double wires so that they join together closer to the psu, and not at the plug. It would be nice to keep the stock cables so in the future if you decide to sell the psu or use it elsewhere you still have the stock cables. I kinda wish I had gone that route.
Stick with the 18 gauge wire, it's more than enough for your psu, unless your using some kind of 1600w monster.
Mainframe customs is lutro's shop, they will make pre-crimped wires in whatever length you need if you don't want to mess with cutting/crimping a bunch of wires and getting a crimper tool (good one runs around $50).

·
Registered
74 Posts
I've tried and look's good... if you can cover it up.

Best bet is to get them off these guys: https://cablemod.com

Just typed in google: PSU cable mods and then stumbled upon this thread haha.

So yeah if ya like me and don't wanna spend hours doing tedious work, this is the answer. I'll ask them If they can make these according to my measurements and customisation and have them specifically built for my machine. I don't care, I'll throw in some more money or I take my business elsewhere haha.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos8coreHead View Post

I've tried and look's good... if you can cover it up.

Best bet is to get them off these guys: https://cablemod.com

Just typed in google: PSU cable mods and then stumbled upon this thread haha.

So yeah if ya like me and don't wanna spend hours doing tedious work, this is the answer. I'll ask them If they can make these according to my measurements and customisation and have them specifically built for my machine. I don't care, I'll throw in some more money or I take my business elsewhere haha.
I saw that site, but these from my OP are more options are are cheaper-

http://www.ensourced.net/green-scale-paracord-sleeved-extensions/

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by alltheGHz View Post

Dude I really really really wouldn't go with extensions
I have another couple months to make the decision. If I went with extensions I would get one of the remover tools and replace one end of them all with ends to fit into my PSU. I know I will have more control over the color scheme making them myself but there are a lot of options for extensions and I do not have the color scheme of the build 100% figured out yet, so we will see. I have not yet checked the used market for the tools required to do them myself but I imagine that going full custom would be more expensive.

Is there any performance loss or higher possibility of failure with modding extensions to connect to the PSU vs building completely custom cables? I can just use the below to swap out the connectors on one side and I am done right?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/OKgear-Tool-5-ATX-Power-Supply-Pin-Extractor-For-Computer-Wiring-/261769915806?hash=item3cf2b3ed9e:g:TdEAAOxyuGFR0AyF

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts
THIS is the tool you want. Pins come out easily without having to fix the prongs on the tool constantly. If the pin gets stuck, push the wire back into the connector and try again. That's the most I had to do with this molex tool. The cheapy tool I bought originally was a huge pain! It wouldn't compress the wings enough, prongs would get bent (and eventually break), and some of the pins would actually break. I really messed my fingers up using the cheap one too.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to take an extension and just wire it into your psu? That won't work because of the double wires and also the extensions use a male and a female end while OEM cable has both female ends. To fix it you would end up doing about as much work as just making the cables from scratch, or sleeving the existing cables you have.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:

THIS is the tool you want. Pins come out easily without having to fix the prongs on the tool constantly. If the pin gets stuck, push the wire back into the connector and try again. That's the most I had to do with this molex tool. The cheapy tool I bought originally was a huge pain! It wouldn't compress the wings enough, prongs would get bent (and eventually break), and some of the pins would actually break. I really messed my fingers up using the cheap one too.

If I'm understanding you correctly, you want to take an extension and just wire it into your psu? That won't work because of the double wires and also the extensions use a male and a female end while OEM cable has both female ends. To fix it you would end up doing about as much work as just making the cables from scratch, or sleeving the existing cables you have.
So it is not as simple as popping off the female plastic connectors of the extensions, looking at my psu pinnout, and attaching Corsair connectors below in their place?

http://www.moddiy.com/categories/Connectors/Modular-Connectors/

If that is all I would have to do then I don't understand how that is not easier then completely making my own cables. I will do some research to find what these "double wires" are.

·
WaterCooler
1,341 Posts

this one is the double wire spliced near the psu after sleeving

Here is a pin diagram I made for my psu (there's an error I later corrected
rolleyes.gif
) The 24 pin is connected to an 18 + 10 connector that goes into the psu. There are some spaces not used and others have 2 wires crimped into one pin.
I prefer to splice the double wires together close to the psu to keep a uniform look at the plug. Lutro0 has some good tutorials and does amazing work, its his method that I use mostly.

Your oem cables have both female ends, while an extension has one female and one male end. You won't be able to plug a male connector into your psu or gpu

·
Senioritis Member
8,360 Posts
Quote:

THIS is the tool you want...
Thanks for the link for Allied! I remember them from when I was in high school (50 years ago) and didn't know they were still around.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Quote:

this one is the double wire spliced near the psu after sleeving

Here is a pin diagram I made for my psu (there's an error I later corrected
rolleyes.gif
) The 24 pin is connected to an 18 + 10 connector that goes into the psu. There are some spaces not used and others have 2 wires crimped into one pin.
I prefer to splice the double wires together close to the psu to keep a uniform look at the plug. Lutro0 has some good tutorials and does amazing work, its his method that I use mostly.

Your oem cables have both female ends, while an extension has one female and one male end. You won't be able to plug a male connector into your psu or gpu
DANG ohh ok the plastic connector is not all that would need to change, but the pins are the wrong gender as well. I now understand why you all say it is just as much work as making my own. Looking at a spare modular cable I see that although the plastic connectors are both male, the metal connectors are all female on both sides.

Thanks for the clarification.
oneeyedsmiley02.png

1 - 14 of 14 Posts