Overclock.net banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, here's my situation. I am planning to go water cooling and I have a plan for mounting it, but I wanted some opinions. I will be using my Chieftec Dragon Full Tower and modding it.

Here is the parts list:

1. DangerDen Double Heater Core w/shroud.
2. 2x 120mm case fans. (Suggestions please?)
3. Danner Mag 5 Pump.
4. DangerDen TDX Waterblock w/brass top.
5. 5 1/4" Reservoir.
6. Possibly a Maze 4 GPU block for my 6800 Ultra.
7. Tubing, water additives, etc.

Let me know what you think about the list. Also I have attached a diagram of my plan. I want to make sure that having the Heater Core inside the case, at the top will not reduce my efficiency. I am planning to cut a hole in the top of the case to expose the heater core. Then I will have the 120mm fans on the back side pulling outside air across the heater core into the case. I will mount my pump opposite the heater core. My set-up will be Pump->Reservoir->Heater Core->CPU->GPU->Pump. The biggest concern is the amount of Tubing I will need for this set-up. Very liberal estimates I have made say a total of 52" of tubing will be necessary. Will the Mag 5 beable to drive that much tubing efficiently? If this is not a good set-up, would I be better off Using a single heater core at the bottom front of the case? I want to keep everything inside the case if possible.

Thanx in advance!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,589 Posts
I cant find any info on DD's Mag5 pump, any idea its flowrate and head?

I bought 10ft of tubing when I did my system, and its a lot less complex than yours...I'm glad I bought the 10ft.

The order of your set-up sounds good, should look AWESOME in your case.

I'd go with two panaflo high speed 120's...not terribly loud, with 114cfm each...
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Is it the big, big tower?? The really big one with like 4'' of space above the psu?? If thats the case, then go for it, but you will want to have the fans on top of the radiator, sucking air out the top. You don't want to have that warm air blowing in. The Mag 5 will be more than enough, trust me, it's one pumpin mofo. It does 500gph at about 12' of head. Yes, you really need 10' of tubing, just to be on the safe side. I would go with the double heatercore, it's the best there is.

Also, go like this: pump--radiator--cpu--gpu--resevoir--pump. That will also give you the shortest overall tube length as well.
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: shermstix

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

Is it the big, big tower?? The really big one with like 4'' of space above the psu?? If thats the case, then go for it, but you will want to have the fans on top of the radiator, sucking air out the top. You don't want to have that warm air blowing in. The Mag 5 will be more than enough, trust me, it's one pumpin mofo. It does 500gph at about 12' of head. Yes, you really need 10' of tubing, just to be on the safe side. I would go with the double heatercore, it's the best there is.

Also, go like this: pump--radiator--cpu--gpu--resevoir--pump. That will also give you the shortest overall tube length as well.


Yes sir! That is the big mama jamma case with 6" of clearance from the top of the PSU!!

Do you mean that the fans should be between the case and the heater core? Because I was planning to set it up with the fans on the bottom of the heater core pulling air from outside, throught the heater core and into the case. If however you guys think it would be better to have the fans mounted to the case, then mount the heater core to the fans, I can do that instead.

I see what you are saying about switching my flow. The only reason I said planned it this way was because I figured the water would have more of a chance to cool if it sat in the reservoir before going into the Heater Core and off to the CPU. I will go with your method though, since it uses less tubing.

I was looking for some input on the Maze 4 for the 6800 Ultra. I am concerned about memory heating if I am required to remove the entire cooling solutiong from the Ultra OC. I saw the 6800 specific water block and it looks awesome, but it is a lot of cash
!! Maybe I should save and and get it later??

Thanks for the input guys.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Yes, put the fans between the case and the heatercore, pulling air outside the case. The radiator cools the water just fine, the resevoir really doesnt do any cooling. About the 6800U, it used DDR3, which doest run very hot at all. Just get some cheap ram-sinks and maybe a pci-fan card right below it, that would work very well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

Yes, put the fans between the case and the heatercore, pulling air outside the case. The radiator cools the water just fine, the resevoir really doesnt do any cooling. About the 6800U, it used DDR3, which doest run very hot at all. Just get some cheap ram-sinks and maybe a pci-fan card right below it, that would work very well.


Okay, I redid the diagram. Check it out and let me know if I have the air flow set right, or if it should be opposite. And if I have the cut-outs on top correct.

And where can I find these YS-Tech fans.... They sound great!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,990 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

Is it the big, big tower?? The really big one with like 4'' of space above the psu??

Just had to second shermstix on this one, YES! There is a hell of alot of room in it.. I feel so obselete when I look up to see my CD-drive with this case... lol
By the way, when you get the case.. just feel how heavy it is.. like a cinder-block.. lol
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by shermstix

Okay, I redid the diagram. Check it out and let me know if I have the air flow set right, or if it should be opposite. And if I have the cut-outs on top correct.

And where can I find these YS-Tech fans.... They sound great!!!

It all looks good except: have the fans blowing up! That Pressy will run pretty hot, and the air coming through the heatercore will be noticeable warmer than ambient air. I repeat: you do not want that hot air blowing into the case. It can raise your case temps by as much as 7-8C over time. Do the setup exactly like the drawing, just turn the fans the other direction. Lookin good bro, gonna be a very nice setup when your done.


Oh, about the fans. I can't seem to find any YS-Tech's either, but here is a decent selection.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

It all looks good except: have the fans blowing up! That Pressy will run pretty hot, and the air coming through the heatercore will be noticeable warmer than ambient air. I repeat: you do not want that hot air blowing into the case. It can raise your case temps by as much as 7-8C over time. Do the setup exactly like the drawing, just turn the fans the other direction. Lookin good bro, gonna be a very nice setup when your done.


Oh, about the fans. I can't seem to find any YS-Tech's either, but here is a decent selection.

Awesome, I am going to order everything today!! Thanks for the input guys, I will post some results and pics once I get it up and running.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by shermstix

Awesome, I am going to order everything today!! Thanks for the input guys, I will post some results and pics once I get it up and running.

Good deal man, and good luck!!!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
^^ Shipping would probably be pretty expensive for a couple fans, probably more than the fans themselves, LOL. A couple months ago I was going to ship a stock Intel heatsink to the UK. The cheapest rate was $35 for shipping!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:


Originally Posted by Lando95

^^ Shipping would probably be pretty expensive for a couple fans, probably more than the fans themselves, LOL. A couple months ago I was going to ship a stock Intel heatsink to the UK. The cheapest rate was $35 for shipping!!!!

Forget that
, Maybe I will just go with the Panaflo that Xavier suggested.....
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,316 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by shermstix

Forget that
, Maybe I will just go with the Panaflo that Xavier suggested.....

Oh forgot u wasn't in UK....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
someone correct me, but i'm willing to bet you probably won't even need a res with the amont of water that will be in the system....
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,953 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by arecks8

someone correct me, but i'm willing to bet you probably won't even need a res with the amont of water that will be in the system....

Well, you don't absolutely "need" a res, but it sure makes filling/bleeding SOOO much easier. That is the maint point of having one
 
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Top