Overclock.net banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so i have a wrt54g v6, this router is junk imo

what i would like to do is use a switch off of the modem for both my xbox and pc, then the router can give the rest of the house internet for their wireless needs.
is this a simple, plug-in, and done type of situation like how hooking up a router to cable modem is?

also what switch would you advise to buy, at max 4 items will be plugged in total.

·
Ultimate Rig Winner
7,280 Posts
You dont need a switch, just get Ethernet card(or if you got 2 ethernet ports)

Connect router to PC
Connect Pc to Xbox using a crossover cable (Second pc port)
Set up a bridge

That is all you need to do

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
both are hardwired to the router now, but with the router in place i cant use more than 900kbps on download or 1000 - 1200kbps upload with this router.
my internet is 20mb/2mb
my old internet and other router (no longer have) was 10/1 and i could stream at 750kbps to twitch and have 4 bars in cod, now i can only do 1,200kbps and usually have 2-3 bar, sometimes 1bar.

was looking into a switch since i could just bypass the router.. if not that i'll just have to get another router, but not really looking to spend $100 on the router i used to use. since that one worked well i would just go with it again.. http://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Wireless-Router-Gigabit-WNDR3700/dp/B002HWRJY4

1 - 3 of 3 Posts