Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a modem in the basement 2 floors down....thats hooked up to two desktops and wirelessley to a laptop.....my main computer is the one two levels up connected with wire...

now i have 2-3 pcs i would like to hookup to internet with my main cable upstairs what do i buy will a switch work will i lose speed???? can i buy a cheap one for $25-35 and work fine?????

like this one

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...26413(ME).aspx

my bro is the one that usally does this stuff i don't have a clue what im doing sorry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
89 Posts
That switch will not work I made same mistake once by buying it.

Your router routes everything and gives different computers different ip addresses. You will have to have two ethernet connections in your computer. One will connect the router from downstairs to your computer and the other will connect to the switch and then you can have outputs from the switch. Since you are sharing the connection if that computer from which you are getting this ethernet output is using internet too much(downloading etc) than it can slow down the switch connections. But generally speaking now it shouldn't really make a huge difference while browsing. But only buy if you have two ethernet ports in your computer.

how many pcs you have in total about 6? You could just buy wireless dongle for some pcs and connect them wirelessly. This will avoid a lot of hassle. Depending how you want it set up you can buy a longer cable and move the router upstairs and connect all the one upstairs with an ethernet cable and the one downstairs with wireless. You already have one laptop wireless you can buy two more dongle for other two pcs and have many ethernet upstairs. Entirely upto you.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by jamal6008 View Post
That switch will not work I made same mistake once by buying it.

Your router routes everything and gives different computers different ip addresses. You will have to have two ethernet connections in your computer. One will connect the router from downstairs to your computer and the other will connect to the switch and then you can have outputs from the switch. Since you are sharing the connection if that computer from which you are getting this ethernet output is using internet too much(downloading etc) than it can slow down the switch connections. But generally speaking now it shouldn't really make a huge difference while browsing. But only buy if you have two ethernet ports in your computer.

how many pcs you have in total about 6? You could just buy wireless dongle for some pcs and connect them wirelessly. This will avoid a lot of hassle. Depending how you want it set up you can buy a longer cable and move the router upstairs and connect all the one upstairs with an ethernet cable and the one downstairs with wireless. You already have one laptop wireless you can buy two more dongle for other two pcs and have many ethernet upstairs. Entirely upto you.
what if i buy another router????
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by jamal6008
View Post

That switch will not work I made same mistake once by buying it.

Your router routes everything and gives different computers different ip addresses. You will have to have two ethernet connections in your computer. One will connect the router from downstairs to your computer and the other will connect to the switch and then you can have outputs from the switch. Since you are sharing the connection if that computer from which you are getting this ethernet output is using internet too much(downloading etc) than it can slow down the switch connections. But generally speaking now it shouldn't really make a huge difference while browsing. But only buy if you have two ethernet ports in your computer.

how many pcs you have in total about 6? You could just buy wireless dongle for some pcs and connect them wirelessly. This will avoid a lot of hassle. Depending how you want it set up you can buy a longer cable and move the router upstairs and connect all the one upstairs with an ethernet cable and the one downstairs with wireless. You already have one laptop wireless you can buy two more dongle for other two pcs and have many ethernet upstairs. Entirely upto you.

Excuse me, but *** are you jabbering about?

First off, you don't need two network connections in ANY computer when you're working with a single subnet.

Second off, most routers have an intergrated 4-port switch that allows you to connect multiple network devices or computers to the switch.

Most home setups have a router that also functions as a DHCP server that is responsible for handing out IP address information, DNS information, and default gateway information to various client devices. This information is necessary for client devices (computers, PS3s, netbooks, etc) to get on the internet and communicate with other devices on the network.

All that is necessary is:

- Run one long cable from the router downstairs to the physical location upstairs where the computers will be situated.

- Connect that long cable to a standard 5- or 8-port ethernet switch (I would suggest the NetGear GS605 / GS608: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...2140&Tpk=GS605)

- Connect each of the computers that require internet access to one of the ports on the switch.

Because the GS605 switch is auto MDI-X, you don't have to worry about uplink / downlink ports and what not, it will "magically" do everything


It is a 5-port switch, one port will be used up to connect to the router, so that leaves you with 4-ports to connect devices to. You can connect computers, or you can add more switches if necessary.

If any ONE device on your network utilizes too much of your available internet bandwidth, then the other devices on your network will be affected. For all PRACTICAL intents and purposes, adding a network switch will not slow down anything (Technically it does, a little bit, but not really worth mentioning).

You don't need to buy multiple wireless adapters to connect various PCs if you can place a network switch in the same physical location as the computers, and connect that one switch to your router.

Quote:


Originally Posted by =moneyca$hcar$clothe$=
View Post

what if i buy another router????

You don't need another router.

Quote:


Originally Posted by =moneyca$hcar$clothe$=
View Post

now i have 2-3 pcs i would like to hookup to internet with my main cable upstairs what do i buy will a switch work will i lose speed???? can i buy a cheap one for $25-35 and work fine?????

like this one

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Product...26413(ME).aspx

I don't recommend that switch because it has a dedicated uplink port - which tells me that it's probably a relatively old model switch. Current network switches will have ports that are ALL auto MDI-X, so you can connect whatever the heck you want without having to worry about uplink / downlink ports, or crossover/regular ethernet cables.

i.e. they are ID10T-proof
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: =JLumbs=

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:


Originally Posted by ComGuards
View Post

Excuse me, but *** are you jabbering about?

First off, you don't need two network connections in ANY computer when you're working with a single subnet.

Second off, most routers have an intergrated 4-port switch that allows you to connect multiple network devices or computers to the switch.

Most home setups have a router that also functions as a DHCP server that is responsible for handing out IP address information, DNS information, and default gateway information to various client devices. This information is necessary for client devices (computers, PS3s, netbooks, etc) to get on the internet and communicate with other devices on the network.

All that is necessary is:

- Run one long cable from the router downstairs to the physical location upstairs where the computers will be situated.

- Connect that long cable to a standard 5- or 8-port ethernet switch (I would suggest the NetGear GS605 / GS608: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product...2140&Tpk=GS605)

- Connect each of the computers that require internet access to one of the ports on the switch.

Because the GS605 switch is auto MDI-X, you don't have to worry about uplink / downlink ports and what not, it will "magically" do everything


It is a 5-port switch, one port will be used up to connect to the router, so that leaves you with 4-ports to connect devices to. You can connect computers, or you can add more switches if necessary.

If any ONE device on your network utilizes too much of your available internet bandwidth, then the other devices on your network will be affected. For all PRACTICAL intents and purposes, adding a network switch will not slow down anything (Technically it does, a little bit, but not really worth mentioning).

You don't need to buy multiple wireless adapters to connect various PCs if you can place a network switch in the same physical location as the computers, and connect that one switch to your router.

You don't need another router.

I don't recommend that switch because it has a dedicated uplink port - which tells me that it's probably a relatively old model switch. Current network switches will have ports that are ALL auto MDI-X, so you can connect whatever the heck you want without having to worry about uplink / downlink ports, or crossover/regular ethernet cables.

i.e. they are ID10T-proof


Thank you......you really made sense this will help thanks. +rep

What about this one

http://www1.canadacomputers.com/inde...=pd&pid=017279

EDIT: I game allot and download

/PID-MX8568(ME).aspx[/url]
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Never used D-Link, and never used "Green" power switches... For "dumb" switches, I prefer NetGear.

I *had* a D-Link DGL-4300 GamerLounge router with an integrated gigabit switch, but that thing died a while ago, lol.

Even if you game a lot and download, you won't have any problems with a gigabit switch - since it's a switch and not a hub.

http://www.canadacomputers.com/index...25&cid=NTW.816

Cheaper than the D-Link after the MIR...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,375 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
One last question i will be able to transfer files from one desktop to another within the network switch.

Also if i download movies one desktop and play BC2 on another will that slow up.....my bro is a gamer also in the basement.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,484 Posts
Quote:


Originally Posted by =moneyca$hcar$clothe$=
View Post

One last question i will be able to transfer files from one desktop to another within the network switch.

Also if i download movies one desktop and play BC2 on another will that slow up.....my bro is a gamer also in the basement.

The network switch just provides the physical infrastructure to implement your network. From a logical standpoint, nothing's changed. Any computer device you connect to it will still be on the same subnet. So yes, you can transfer files between systems without a problem.

You just have to be sure that you've got file sharing configured properly on the various computers, but that's another thread and covered more than once in the forums - just search for it if you're running into problems.

As for downloading movies and gaming on the internet, your limiting factor is going to be your internet connection bandwidth. The more services or applications using that bandwidth, the less for each application. It is possible to assign priority and manage bandwidth assignments if necessary.

Any slowdown you see in your downloading or gaming is going to be due to the connection to the internet, not the fact that you put in a network switch.
 
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Top