Overclock.net banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need help i just ran the Windows XP adware, spyware, malwayre and virus removal process thats listed in a thread in this section on my work computer for a second time, and this time i was able to go through the entire procedure without the computer freezing or ending the programs prematurely.

My problem is that now Paint.net won't work, Microsoft Office is asking me to reinstall some files and my Recycle bin won't work.

I know adware and spyware might cause problems when trying to run a program that they are linked to but MO, and Paint.net?

I tried reinstalling Paint.net and it still won't work and we don't have MO cd here to reinstall that. Also whats up with the recycle bin, it won't let me access it or drag and drop files there.

Also acrobat keeps telling me to register, eventhough i say i don't want to ever, it always pops up and google keeps trying to make its self my main search provider.

Also I tried using system restore to restore to a couple of different points, as this process was executed on Thursday the 16th. I went back as far as a month and there isn't any difference in functionality or appearance of the desktop.

This process kinda did the same thing to my sig rig, now my clock is always on military time and i can't fix it to show the 24hr standard.

Also this morning my start menu bar and clock have disappeared from the desktop, whenever i move my cursor there it just shows it as busy.

I really need help, Thanks in advance.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Sounds like your PC got the crap beat out of it

If it was a Virus or Maleware that was removed - it might have already damaged your PC before it was removed. I'd say just backup your data and reinstall.

You could also try running a repair installation (not the repair console) from the XP disc.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm pretty sure all the cleaning just destroyed my registry. I can't even download ActiveX, which the computer should have. When i try to update through Microsoft Update my computer says it doesn't recognize the signature so it won't evne install update. I tried repairing MO but the registry still won't recognize it and Paint.net says its a registry error in its logs also.

How can i repair this. There are 505,000 files on this computer. I can't really reinstall windows i won't get things back to where they were.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVECobraR
View Post

I'm pretty sure all the cleaning just destroyed my registry. I can't even download ActiveX, which the computer should have. When i try to update through Microsoft Update my computer says it doesn't recognize the signature so it won't evne install update. I tried repairing MO but the registry still won't recognize it and Paint.net says its a registry error in its logs also.

How can i repair this. There are 505,000 files on this computer. I can't really reinstall windows i won't get things back to where they were.

Heh I have no idea

I would assume you would have to somehow restore or re-write the damaged portions of the registry.

You won't get things exactly the way they were but a re-install would mean you would have a functional operating system >_>

Might wanna repost this in the Operating System section if you plan on trying to repair the registry.

·
Registered
493 Posts
It sounds to me like the OS got seriously screwed. Best choice of action IMO is back up your files, and reinstall....

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is there anyway to make like a mirror image so all the files go back to where they were before the install?

·
Premium Member
4,917 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus
View Post

You have two threads, why did you make a new one?

http://www.overclock.net/windows/544...lean-need.html

I second this. Why are some people so impatient to fill the board with repetitive threads asking for the same help? Your problems are no more important or urgent than another person's. Just be patient and relax.

/rant

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I posted a second thread because of Slider46's second post, where he recommened i post it in a different section, the correct one for my problem.

sorry i can delete this one if it will make you happy.

·
Premium Member
5,648 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by SVECobraR
View Post

I posted a second thread because of Slider46's second post, where he recommened i post it in a different section, the correct one for my problem.

sorry i can delete this one if it will make you happy.

If you repost it in a more suited section, then edit this thread's original title to ask the mods to delete this thread.

·
Premium Member
3,171 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Cerberus
View Post

You have two threads, why did you make a new one?

http://www.overclock.net/windows/544...lean-need.html

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demented
View Post

I second this. Why are some people so impatient to fill the board with repetitive threads asking for the same help? Your problems are no more important or urgent than another person's. Just be patient and relax.

/rant

Did you guys even read the thread and the section?

The question the OP posted was more about windows and registry errors than "Other Software" and thus my recommendation to post in the Windows section. No need to freak out after skimming the thread and not even noticing the section. Geeze.

OP - it would be best to change the title of this thread to "close/delete - wrong section". My apologies for not mentioning that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.