Overclock.net banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a physics program that we use for AP physics and it has quizzes that we have to take each week. This program is old, probably from Windows 98. I can get it to run on Vista 32 in XP compatibility mode. I cannot get it to run on any of my x64 machines though (all of my Vista machines are x64).

Is there anyway to modify the program to run on 64bit in compatibility mode or something. This program was probably 8 or 16bit originally.

If anyone wishes to tackle this, I have a .zip of it. Currently I am running it on a copy of XP in a VM, but that is a hassle. I'm sure future classes will have the same issue but wont have the access to a VM.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by decompiled View Post
Looks like these are all compiled binaries from an older version of visual basic. Not sure if there is there is a utility to reverse engineer them.
Thanks for looking. I will look into a way to reverse engineer them. If anyone knows, please tell me.

This would be an easy way to get an A in the class

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quote:

Originally Posted by C-bro View Post
Why not just install VMWare or VirtualBox and run the program in a virtual machine?
Thats what I have been doing but it is a pain. There will be many classes in the future that will not have access to a VM like I do...

·
Premium Member
11,540 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Quote:

Originally Posted by ProjecT TimeZ View Post
See/ask the publisher of the program if there is any support, or updates.
Just a thought

I tried to find that info but no one seems to know that and it has the most generic program name ever...physics.exe

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
They look like Windows 3.1 (16 bit) apps. That goes back a LONG way.

The world is moving on, and apparently your university isn't. There's no way to run 16-bit apps on 64-bit Windows. You'll have to stick with the virtual machine, or yell at whoever you got these from until they recompile them.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
I'm under Debian amd64 and running this app

That's why Linux is better, even in 64bit can run apps like that, and Vista can't.

PS. LAKESHORE HIGH SCHOOL

• Rep+
Reactions: mortimersnerd

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mortimersnerd View Post
How would I convert the 8bit to 16bit?
It's already 16 bit, that's the problem. 64-bit Windows has no support for 16-bit applications. Microsoft removed it. Deliberately.

The only way to "convert" it is to recompile it from the source code.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts