Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it important to have a heatsink on a mofset is so can anyone find the right right one for my board Biostar's website had no suggestions and poking around the web only found asus a gigabyte
models so any help?

·
Registered
5,743 Posts
Depends if you put on a lot of high volts.

My Mobo also does not come with mosfet heatsinks, however it does not need them for simple CPU overclocking because of the power phase change.

If it did not come with them, and you do not use volts higher than your board specifies than I would not worry about it.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Mosfet's cooling is a big must if your going to overclock. Otherwise you will end up with burnt mosfet chips

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well as I am a novice and the heatsinks I did see were not over $20 I was interested in getting one but I have a very cool case and so far I have had only 2 problems
the system clock in Bios occasionally needs reset and my HD Blue Ray Adudio went out?
Any Ideas?

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Atomfix
View Post

Mosfet's cooling is a big must if your going to overclock. Otherwise you will end up with burnt mosfet chips

Yup.

MOSFETs are prone to thermal runaway. They heat up, their current output becomes unreliable and incosistent...generating more heat...causing more instability.

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by snot
View Post

well as I am a novice and the heatsinks I did see were not over $20 I was interested in getting one but I have a very cool case and so far I have had only 2 problems
the system clock in Bios occasionally needs reset and my HD Blue Ray Adudio went out?
Any Ideas?

Your CMOS battery might be dead?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
so does anyone know of a compatible heatsink for the mofset on a Biostar TA880GB?

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
what about the audio? and could something during my build have done the battery?

·
Registered
5,824 Posts
Quote:

View Post

what about the audio? and could something during my build have done the battery?

Is this a brand new build? And I'm sorry, I don't quite understand what the problem is with your Blu-Ray audio is, Can you give us some more information on the problem?

·
Registered
5,743 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,711 Posts
Quote:

View Post

ALSA should be able to talk to your onboard fine...if you have it installed, and have checked your mixer levels.

If you're booting into Windows, and have your Ubuntu clock set to UTC offset instead of local-that can cause Windows to freak out--which causes Linux to freak out...because Windows resets the BIOS clock.

·
Premium Member
20,621 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atomfix;12044573
It also depends on the stock TDP of a chip. If you're on a 3+1 power phase and the stock TDP is 95W, you've unlocked and/or overclocked, you will want to put in cooling. But if you are OC-ing a 45W TDP processor, you'll be fine because you're below the limits.
This also counts if you are not using the stock cooler (not using a cooler that blows onto mosfets).

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Do the Single heat sink sizes vary as there are mounting holes on my motherboard for one and the single strip heat-sinks come in various sizes. my audio was working and then it went out

·
Registered
2,598 Posts
Like everyone else said, use the Enzotech MOS-c10. They come with thermal tape, look cool and cool good. I put some on the multiphase inductors on my board because they were transferring heat into the mosfet heatsink (and I burned my finger so bad on one that it has a fingerprint burned into it)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I have been running without them no heavy computing email youtube stuff
do you think theye are ok would I notice problems and what would they be?

·
Registered
265 Posts
If you were running into problems with your mosfets, your system would shutdown or become very unstable. Or if you are monitoring your core voltage, it will start to ripple more as the power converter becomes unstable.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts