Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know i have posted this a couple times and since no one has responded i expect no one has had this happen to them before... If my x700 is running any catalyst driver it causes the monitor to blink on and off... usually a couple times in a row... sometimes continuesly... The old drivers SEEM to be more stable.... If i boot into safe mode or uninstall the drivers for the card and let windows run it with a generic driver this doesnt happen however of course you cant play any games with out the drivers installed. Could this be a card issue? Like is it broken or could it be a voltage problem?...I have a 550watt 24pin PSU so i would think the PCI-E slot is getting enough juice... Could the card be overheating?

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Check your refresh rate... Sometime when you install new drivers it drops down.

Mine drops to 60MHz when I install new drivers and then I get the blink now and again... Once I set it back to 75MHz its fine.

Give that a shot and see if it helps.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I should have mentioned that its not the refresh rate. I have tryed every rate from 60 to 120 makes not difference with this problem. If i set it to low the monitor flickers like usual but my monitor is actually turning on and off. Like your pulling the vga jack off the board and putting it back on really fast. I have also tryed 3 monitors... Exact same problem with all of em

·
Premium Member
2,572 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by PaulB

I should have mentioned that its not the refresh rate. I have tryed every rate from 60 to 120 makes not difference with this problem. If i set it to low the monitor flickers like usual but my monitor is actually turning on and off. Like your pulling the vga jack off the board and putting it back on really fast. I have also tryed 3 monitors... Exact same problem with all of em

Sorry but im stumped already... Sorry I could not help more.
Good luck in finding a cure.

·
Premium Member
8,743 Posts
Quote:

I know i have posted this a couple times and since no one has responded i expect no one has had this happen to them before... If my x700 is running any catalyst driver it causes the monitor to blink on and off... usually a couple times in a row... sometimes continuesly... The old drivers SEEM to be more stable.... If i boot into safe mode or uninstall the drivers for the card and let windows run it with a generic driver this doesnt happen however of course you cant play any games with out the drivers installed. Could this be a card issue? Like is it broken or could it be a voltage problem?...I have a 550watt 24pin PSU so i would think the PCI-E slot is getting enough juice... Could the card be overheating?

I HAVE an ATI card on my spare PC
there is an option under the VPU recover tab
and disable VPU recover
i had this problem of it turning off then back on it didnt give me a reason in the error report option but this fixed the problem

REPS????

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks a lot for replying... I have posted this problem in a couple places and your the only one who said anything other than "change your refresh rate."

However.... This did not fix the problem. On friday i will take the card back to the store and get a replacement. I cant find anyone on any forum with the same problem as me and i hope to god thats beacause my card is broken... Otherwise im sol

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
im not sure if ur problem was like mine but my monitor started to blink right after the windows BOOT right about inbetween the WINDOWS LOADING and the LOG ON SCREEN my monitor shuts off then slowly turns back on what i did was tighten the video card then reinstalled WINDOWS XP PRO so far everything is fine now by the way u may wanna check ur HDD power pin. i know reinstalling the os is the lazy way doing it but it works well ehehehe by the way that problem started when i started to use omega but like what i have said after the reinstall of windows xp everything is fine now

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have physically reinstalled the card a couple times and am fairly sure its not loose or anything simple like that... This is a new xp install and i doubt it has any baring on the problem but in the interest of following up on every lead i am given i will certinly give it a try.... Thank you for your help

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Re-installed XP... installed 4.11... reboot and....!

BLINKING

I recommend testing another vid card in the slot to see if it is a mobo problem, and also testing your card in another mobo.

To do thet you will either need another system or to talk a friend into letting you test it on theirs.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yeah id love to test another card and test this one on another MOBO but i dont know anyone with a PCI-E slot or card. There arent any good computer stores around me so the best i can do it take the card back and get a replacement and give it a try...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Yeah id love to test another card and test this one on another MOBO but i dont know anyone with a PCI-E slot or card. There arent any good computer stores around me so the best i can do it take the card back and get a replacement and give it a try...

That is the problem with getting the newest technology.
Good luck and I hope that it is the vid card not the mobo.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah me too thanx alot for the help... Now if its not the card... Are there any settings i sould try messing with on the mobo? This Asus P5GD2 Deluxe does have the "PEG" feature on it... I dont really know what it does but it has to do with the PCI-E slot and something about getting more "performance" out of it...

·
Linux Guru
5,734 Posts
Quote:

Yeah me too thanx alot for the help... Now if its not the card... Are there any settings i sould try messing with on the mobo? This Asus P5GD2 Deluxe does have the "PEG" feature on it... I dont really know what it does but it has to do with the PCI-E slot and something about getting more "performance" out of it...

Read you mobo manual to find the functions of wach of the BIOS settings before making any modifications, I think that the problem may even be there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
i read something somewhere about the x700 someone tested had problems overheating... this was befor the card was released... But since i have no other clues as to what the hell the prob is... What usually happens when your GPU overheats? Does the system hang? or reboot? or does your monitor flicker on and off? im sure theres no one answer but what has been your guys experance

·
Registered
0 Posts
Quote:

I have exact same issue with the same card and same motherboard (X700 on an ASUS P5GD2). It only seems to happen when I'm running games although occassionly in xp too. Did you try a new card?

·
Registered
579 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WOW finally someone with the same prob i had... Not that i wish this prob on anyone.... But yes i fixed the problem with a new card. I am running the Omega drivers now too, which i like much better an the crap ATI gives you... But this prob occured on all driver revistions on the ATI site and it only stopped when i renturned it for a new card.... Some one posted that theirs did it too but only the DVI port and the newest drivers fixed that... I would RMA your card as fast a possible and try another... Worst thing that could happen is your out a card for a couple days and the new one does it too but if you dont send it back i dont think your ever gonna fix it... Good luck and let us know... And post some benchies... I havent seen really anyone on here with my MOBO so im excited to see your posts...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Quote:

WOW finally someone with the same prob i had... Not that i wish this prob on anyone.... But yes i fixed the problem with a new card. I am running the Omega drivers now too, which i like much better an the crap ATI gives you... But this prob occured on all driver revistions on the ATI site and it only stopped when i renturned it for a new card.... Some one posted that theirs did it too but only the DVI port and the newest drivers fixed that... I would RMA your card as fast a possible and try another... Worst thing that could happen is your out a card for a couple days and the new one does it too but if you dont send it back i dont think your ever gonna fix it... Good luck and let us know... And post some benchies... I havent seen really anyone on here with my MOBO so im excited to see your posts...

I can't help, yet... but I have the same issue but on a Supermicro x6dal-g. I am on my second card, The first one started doing it right away, the second one let me think it was working for a day. One clue is with the second card there was a problem with the control panel, there was a error when it tried to load/run. Today it decided to reinstall the secondary display driver again (I have dual monitors) after rebooting the control panel started working, but then the monitor started refreshing. I have set the drivers to "optimal" in the 3d control panel, doesn't seem to flashing as much now. I hope it can be fixed, I was getting 60fps in Doom3 with everything on before the display corrupted...

Did ATI just put out a bunch of crap chips and hope we wouldn't notice?

omt The sales guy at Microcenter said his monitor flashed sometimes too with his x700...

·
Registered
5 Posts
Quote:

Well after performing all the due diligence in troubleshooting, drivers....settings...sofware....re-install the OS...I am pretty good at troubling shooting these kinds of things and still no change.

The ATI X700 still flickers on my main monitor! grrrr!

I have 3 Monitors, my primary CRT in the middle, which is connected to the X700 256MB,(I still feel the picture on my CRT is much better than any LCD I can afford) and two others(LCDs) on the left and right running off of a VisionTek, PCI 9200 SE w/ ATI 128 MB Catalyst chipset. The problem did not happen right away, the main monitor just started flickering on and off, on and off, like if was trying to refresh but never really refreshing, it lost it's way more a less.

Since the card is pretty new, well BRAND new, I took it back to M.C. (Figure it out) and got another one. And here I sit, it works. For now anyway, it was working before. I am just waiting for it to start flickering again...

If it happens again, I may try another second video card that is not ATI. The could be part of the problem. Anyone else got this fixed?

__________________________________________________ _______________

Well it is day 2 and no flicker as of yet. I am very hesitant to install the ATI software but the games won't work with out it. What to do? What to do?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts