Overclock.net banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm not entirely sure if this is the right place to post this, I think it is, since I'm pretty sure my GPU is causing the problem. I apologize if I'm mistaken.

So just recently (Within the last week or so), whenever I stress my GPU by playing any sort of game (Even emulators), my monitor will go black after a while, and give me a "Monitor is going to sleep" message, forcing me to reboot if I want to see (Computer reboots by itself if left long enough). The problem will sometimes happen as soon as the computer starts, though that rarely happens. I have already replaced the monitor, and it still happens.

The problem doesn't happen as fast when the case is open, so I'm assuming it's a heating issue, but all of the fans are clean and working, and at 100%. I've tried everything I can as far as drivers go, I've rolled them back, cleaned them up, uninstalled and reinstalled them, used older drivers, used the drivers on the disc it came with, the whole 9 yards. System restore also failed me.

I've googled by problem profusely, and folks at a few other forums say they've fixed the problem by updating their BIOS, but I'm avoiding that like the plague, as I've never done it before and have heard if something goes wrong, you're pretty screwed.

I didn't build the PC myself, I purchased it from Cyberpower, and this is the first real problem I've had with it.

Any help would be immensely appreciated, as I'm stumped.

My specs are:
nForce 750i SLI
Intel Core 2 Duo E8500
2 Gigs RAM
Dual Nvidia 9400 GTs
Sigma Shark 635 Watt ATX PSU

Not really good, but works fine for what I use it for, until recently of course.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
There are two things that need to be known: the core temps of the CPU, and the core temps of the GPUs. At this point, I think my only concern are the GPU temps. But I want to see the CPU temps to be sure.

For the CPU, use Real Temp. For the GPU, there are a few different options, but try GPU-Z. Once it's open, click on the Sensors tab and you'll see the temperature in there.

For now, let's just go with the idle temps, especially of the GPU. Then we'll go from there.

If you want to see what your temps are while putting any kind of load on the GPU, then leave GPU-Z open. However, check the box labeled, "Continue refreshing this screen while GPU-Z is in the background." It's located on the Sensors tab.

If you leave Real Temp open, then it will show you the maximum temperatures reached for the CPU as well, and even show you what time that temperature was reached.

But anyway, post the temps and then we'll go from there.

·
Intel Extreme 1366
1,665 Posts
Have you checked to see what your temperatures your GPUs are actually at? This is so you can safely assume that it may be a heating issue or not.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Alright, one my GPUs sits at 49 C, and gets up to 55 C when running Team Fortress 2, the other stays at around 46 C (All settings high).

My CPU sits at 39 C, and raises about a degree when running Team Fortress 2.

·
Registered
2,855 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Kikayoaka
View Post

Alright, one my GPUs sits at 49 C, and gets up to 55 C when running Team Fortress 2, the other stays at around 46 C (All settings high).

My CPU sits at 39 C, and raises about a degree when running Team Fortress 2.

Doesn't look like overheating is the issue. If it gets up to 80 you'd have a problem but those are fairly cool temps.

What drivers you running?

I've never run any SLI, could there be some sort of unfriendly competition going on b/w the cards? (directed at anyone with good SLI knowledge)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've tried disabling SLI and it didn't help unfortunately. Is there a way to switch my main GPU?

My drivers are 7.15.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Well now the problem has started even when I'm not putting stress on my GPU. I can use my computer for about 20 minutes before it black screens.

I think it might be my PSU, that thing gets pretty hot.

·
Not new to Overclock.net
79,147 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Well now the problem has started even when I'm not putting stress on my GPU. I can use my computer for about 20 minutes before it black screens.

I think it might be my PSU, that thing gets pretty hot.

Yeah. That was my first guess, but I wasn't quite sure because it's not like they're 9800 GTX's.

So, replace the PSU with a quality one (Corsair was voted "Best Power Supply Manufacturer 2008" by Custom PC readers) with maybe 650W or more, and then see if that solves the problem. After all, if it's overheating, then perhaps it's either being worked too hard, or its own cooling isn't good enough.

Quote:

Originally Posted by gnolnats
View Post

Try running the machine with the side panel removed to see if anything changes.

He already tried that. Below is an excerpt from the OP:
Quote:

View Post

The problem doesn't happen as fast when the case is open, so I'm assuming it's a heating issue, but

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.