Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently put together an Asus Rog Strix b350 f with a 1600x cpu, and Flare X 3200 RAM. I briefly tried running it at 3.8GHz, but did not leave it there. The requested vcore by the cpu is 1.375 which seems high so I have run a negative offset to reduce it some. The load voltage reported in CPUZ and Hardwareinfo 64 was showing 1.352 up to 1.384 for many tests. Now the load voltage will only go to around 1.21 even if I put the bios voltage back to auto (1.375). Any load on the cpu will cause the monitor to black out and I have to either pull the plug from the power supply or switch it off and then back on since the power and reset buttons will not function when this happens. There are no extra lights showing on the board when this happens. Even trying to run the Sims 3 game made it black out. It rebooted on its own while typing this. I am running everything at factory default in the bios right now (even the RAM at 2400Mhz), but it will constantly black out with any load applied and at random while doing nothing. I do NOT have patience for this and will not play with this thing for long. I will just go back to an Intel build if this keeps up. I wonder if the board itself is a lemon. I wonder why the load voltage no longer goes to what it did before. I can try sending this board back and get an x370 if it will do any good.

·
Dream Chaser
3,765 Posts
Have you tried resetting the bios? And I know you said everything is back to stock settings, but I mean clearing the cmos with the jumper.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I did fail to mention that I had already cleared the CMOS with the jumper before I wrote that first post. Sometimes bad stuff just happens. My experience with AMD this time around will be very short lived I think. I last had an Athlon 64 socket 754 on the AMD side of things. I tried two different video cards. The power supply is a Corsair HX 750 which gave no trouble on the i7 2600k build. I was using a GTX 1050 ti so I do not think the power supply was strained too hard.

edit to add that after reading about the same issue from others, I am just going to take this out and go back to using the i7. I can upgrade later. I am not going to chase a gremlin like l saw a leopard on a nature video trying to catch a cheetah.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I’m not sure if it is related but I have a problem of display blacking out when I am running very high loads on intel burn test while stress testing. Someone recommended that I increase the dram voltage by a .05 or .1. I don’t think we are in the same boat but it is certainly worth a shot.

It seemed to work when I tried it but I have reconfigured the benhig system since then.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well I have already reinstalled the i7 back into this machine. Something is really messed up with that Strix board now. The "stock" voltage is now 1.55, and I could not get it to show lower than that after it was 1.375. This cpu (2600k) is at 4Ghz, so it cannot be far behind the 1600x at 3.7. I just got a piece of garbage board I suppose. Anyway, when I upgrade again, it will not be AMD.

I wanted to add that at least with this Intel board, it will downclock at idle even with an overclock unlike that Strix.

·
DRAM Obsessor
1,033 Posts
I recently put together an Asus Rog Strix b350 f with a 1600x cpu, and Flare X 3200 RAM. I briefly tried running it at 3.8GHz, but did not leave it there. The requested vcore by the cpu is 1.375 which seems high so I have run a negative offset to reduce it some. The load voltage reported in CPUZ and Hardwareinfo 64 was showing 1.352 up to 1.384 for many tests. Now the load voltage will only go to around 1.21 even if I put the bios voltage back to auto (1.375). Any load on the cpu will cause the monitor to black out and I have to either pull the plug from the power supply or switch it off and then back on since the power and reset buttons will not function when this happens. There are no extra lights showing on the board when this happens. Even trying to run the Sims 3 game made it black out. It rebooted on its own while typing this. I am running everything at factory default in the bios right now (even the RAM at 2400Mhz), but it will constantly black out with any load applied and at random while doing nothing. I do NOT have patience for this and will not play with this thing for long. I will just go back to an Intel build if this keeps up. I wonder if the board itself is a lemon. I wonder why the load voltage no longer goes to what it did before. I can try sending this board back and get an x370 if it will do any good.
What about reflashing the bios? It doesnt seem like its the CPU as much as something getting corrupted bc that voltage really doesnt seem that high to me. Ive ran a 1600 and now I currently have a 1700x and its ran 24/7 at 1.4v with the DRAM at 1.5v. I have encountered similar problems to yours before awhile back. I had the computer reboot when CPU became unstable by having an overclock too high for the voltage that I was running but your problems strike me as more of a bios corruption issue or something like that. Also, have you been playing with memory overclocking or timings at all? If it isnt a corruption issue it also could be your VRM on the mobo itself. I could be wrong altogether though, just helping throw out some ideas for you to play with. Hope you get your issues corrected.

Edit: You may find this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA2NQsgrJPk useful as it shows the quality that Asus uses in their Strix lineup. After watching it Im starting to have doubts about my Asus Prime X370-Pro if this is to speak to their quality of mobo production.

·
DRAM Obsessor
1,033 Posts
Well I have already reinstalled the i7 back into this machine. Something is really messed up with that Strix board now. The "stock" voltage is now 1.55, and I could not get it to show lower than that after it was 1.375. This cpu (2600k) is at 4Ghz, so it cannot be far behind the 1600x at 3.7. I just got a piece of garbage board I suppose. Anyway, when I upgrade again, it will not be AMD.

I wanted to add that at least with this Intel board, it will downclock at idle even with an overclock unlike that Strix.

If its the mobo then that can happen to any CPU, I wouldnt put the blame on AMD until it is confirmed to be their product and it just doesnt strike me as a CPU issue as much as it could be a mobo issue. Its possible you couldve just gotten bad luck with a board that has a weak component such as VRM or it could very well be the CPU. I would do some troubleshooting to find out the real culprit and RMA it if thats an option. As for the downclock, im not sure about the Strix but my Asus Prime board will allow it to downclock as long as I dont have my power options set to High Performance in the OS and it isnt disabled via bios. Also, could you provide the model number of that FlareX ram set? Id like to see the specs and look up the SPD info. If it happens to be a Hynix kit then that could be hurting you as well on your Ryzen setup but probably unrelated to any problems you were describing.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey again.

Here is the info on the RAM sticker. (GSkill) f4-3200c14d-16gfx. cl 14-14-14-34 1.35v.

Even with it at 2400Mhz, the computer would still black screen.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts