Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
TLDR
R9 280x gpu won't detect anything plugged into hdmi or dvi port, only detecting the displayport, no matter how many monitors are connectes

I'm using an r9 280x crossfired with a hd 7970, except it isn't crossfired. The problem is, I am using a triple monitor setup, and my r9 won't detect any monitor connected to the HDMI nor DVI port, so I can only use the DP on the r9, while my second and third monitors are connected to the 7970, thus making crossfire/eyefinity impossible. The thing is, when I took my PC to a repair shop, the DVI and HDMI port on my r9 worked just fine. They tested it by connecting to hdmi only, dvi only, and both hdmi and dvi and they worked just fine, but after I took my pc back home, I can't get those ports working. I have tried different combination such as using only the r9 without the 7970 and connecting only a single monitor using hdmi or dvi, none works, while if I use the DP, it works fine. And I'm sure it's not my cable or monitor because I tested my triple monitor using another computer with a single r9 270x and they worked fine and I can enable eyefinity withoutt any problem. Any suggestion would be appreciated

Motherboard : msi z97 gaming 7
Processor : i5 4570k
RAM : patriot memory 4x8 GB
PSU : 1200W

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The first slot is r9 280x. And regarding what you said about all displayport, my build kind of worked fine the first few weeks after it was built, but suddenly this problem occurs, so I don't think I have to use all displayport

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyzwarrior View Post

The first slot is r9 280x. And regarding what you said about all displayport, my build kind of worked fine the first few weeks after it was built, but suddenly this problem occurs, so I don't think I have to use all displayport
Make sure you have the correct specs of cabling. 1.4=HDMI, 1.2=DP,

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sure I got the right one because it used to work fine and I never changed my cable/monitor setup. All my monitors are hdmi monitor, the first one is connected using HDMI-DVI-DP, the second one is HDMI-DVI, and the third one is using only a HDMI cable

·
Registered
930 Posts
Quote:

I'm sure I got the right one because it used to work fine and I never changed my cable/monitor setup. All my monitors are hdmi monitor, the first one is connected using HDMI-DVI-DP, the second one is HDMI-DVI, and the third one is using only a HDMI cable
That's not what i'm saying here. HDMI cables are in different signal usage. If you don't have the correct number rating cable for the connector rating it will not receive the signal correctly. I went through this earlier today, when I tried to use the HDMI cable from my Blu-Ray on my TV for my computer to my TV it wouldn't register. Once I took the HDMI cable from the computer monitor it gave me a signal and worked.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
But it used to be working fine and I didn't change anything. How could the number rating change if I never changed anything?

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

But it used to be working fine and I didn't change anything. How could the number rating change if I never changed anything?
Were you always using eyefinity, or just using a triple monitor on extended? To use eyefinity you use to have to have a certain wire combination. Another thing to try it to use Windows to enable those monitors, as the last version of CCC I used did not let you do that. Hit Window Key + P and selected extended.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOwlHootHoot View Post

Were you always using eyefinity, or just using a triple monitor on extended? To use eyefinity you use to have to have a certain wire combination. Another thing to try it to use Windows to enable those monitors, as the last version of CCC I used did not let you do that. Hit Window Key + P and selected extended.
The main reason I bought triple monitor was to use eyefinity, but as the current state, it is not possible to enable it because I can't connect all three monitors to a single card. And regarding your suggestion, if I plug all three monitor then boot the computer, only the one connected via the displayport adapter works, while the other are not even detected by windows at all. If I try to boot by using only one monitor either it is connected to DVI or HDMI, the monitor won't display anything at all.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

Quote:

The main reason I bought triple monitor was to use eyefinity, but as the current state, it is not possible to enable it because I can't connect all three monitors to a single card. And regarding your suggestion, if I plug all three monitor then boot the computer, only the one connected via the displayport adapter works, while the other are not even detected by windows at all. If I try to boot by using only one monitor either it is connected to DVI or HDMI, the monitor won't display anything at all.
Listen to what I am tell you to do and please respond accordingly with confirmation of what you have tried. Have you tried enabling them through Windows Display Settings, not Catalyst Control Center?

Plug them all into one card and leave them there and we can trouble shoot it. The goal right now is not for eyefinity, it is to trouble shoot why all three are no turning on. Forget eyefinity until we get this first problem solved. You have no been able to get it to work so lets just try it my way for now, if it does work at least we tried.

1. Plug them all to the first GPU. Take a picture of them plugged in to show me. I need to see what cables and adapters you are using and also your card positions. Plug both GPU's in while doing this with the crossfire cable plugged in.

2. Boot up to windows. I don't care if one monitor is working, leave it on.

3. Right click on the desktop, click display settings and see if you can enable the monitors there.

4. If that does not working, open your device manager.

5. Take a screen shot of your device manager with the Monitor Tree expanded and be sure all of the monitors are enabled there.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #11

The red HDMI cable is the right monitor, the DP one is the middle, and the DVI onne is the left one.
And the DP is connected using a male HDMI to male DVI cable, connected to an active DVI to DP adapter

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

The red HDMI cable is the right monitor, the DP one is the middle, and the DVI onne is the left one.
And the DP is connected using a male HDMI to male DVI cable, connected to an active DVI to DP adapter
Now do me a favor and check the inputs on the monitors so they match whatever is plugged in. The PC is detecting the cable plugged in it seems, but not the monitor.

Take a picture inside your case for the GPU cards as well please.

EDIT: Ignore that it is a HDMI my bad.

Test with just the HDMI and the DP. I have a feeling it's something with your adapter.

Also lets take a look at your CCC display settings as well. If you have Skype we can try to trouble shoot over skype real-time with you showing me your desktop.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The input are correct, all set to HDMI input.

I've tested it with only two, still only the DP one shows up, the HDMI only says no signal.
And as additional info, if I plug the monitor to the second GPU while the PC is on, it made that new hardware sound, like when you connect a USB device. But, if I plug it to the first GPU, no sounds are played at all.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Quote:

Lets with your computer still on, to plug in the HDMI from you DP Adapter into the HDMI slot.
Um, that's a DVI not HDMI, and I tried plugging the DVI directly without the DP adapter, and it only showed no signal. But if you meant try to use a HDMI cable instead, I've tried that too and still doesn't work.

And the cable definitely works, because if I plug them this way:

It works:

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's on high performance. And I've switched the GPU BIOS but still no luck. And I've tried updating the MB BIOS, still didn't change anything.

The weirdest thing is the moment I brought my PC to a PC repair shop, they can plug monitors to both the HDMI and DVI ports and they would work just like that, but after I brought it home it won't work again. Do this have something with the PC tower orientation, I mean on the shop they put the PC on its side, while at home it's standing. Could this have something to do with it, like gravity pushing the GPU to the PCIe slot harder, thus making it works or something? Just my theory tho.

·
Registered
866 Posts
Quote:

It's on high performance. And I've switched the GPU BIOS but still no luck. And I've tried updating the MB BIOS, still didn't change anything.

The weirdest thing is the moment I brought my PC to a PC repair shop, they can plug monitors to both the HDMI and DVI ports and they would work just like that, but after I brought it home it won't work again. Do this have something with the PC tower orientation, I mean on the shop they put the PC on its side, while at home it's standing. Could this have something to do with it, like gravity pushing the GPU to the PCIe slot harder, thus making it works or something? Just my theory tho.
Did they use your cables and monitors?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
No, but using another PC with R9 270X, this configuration: (Call it PC2)

Works just fine:

Another thing is, I tried to move my problematic PC to the desk where this PC2 was, and plug the monitor that was used by PC2 to the problematic PC (it's a single HDMI monitor), and it works perfectly fine. Could this specific combination of cables, monitors, adapters, and motherboard(?) just not work?

1 - 20 of 27 Posts