Overclock.net banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

My monitor (ASUS PB278Q) won't auto-sleep. I've set windows to turn off the monitor after 1 minute of idle.

It seems soon after a restart the monitor will sleep and wake up and sleep again no problem.

HOWEVER, after a whole day of use it won't sleep.

There must be some program that is preventing it??

I don't use many programs---just firefox, utorrent, steam, winamp, vlc. I've just now restarted and launches all these programs and it still will sleep. But, I know later tonight after a day of use, it won't sleep.

I've tried both DVD-D and DP.

Would really appreciate help. Thanks.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasti View Post

If VLC is running, screen won't go to sleep.
Still won't fall asleep after VLC is closed.

It worked before playing a game on STEAM, and now afterwards it doesn't work. Who knows what I did also in between.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Did you check from task manager if vlc.exe is still running? Sometimes they might get stuck and they will show up there.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fasti View Post

Did you check from task manager if vlc.exe is still running? Sometimes they might get stuck and they will show up there.
Good idea. Did so and no luck.

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've tried unplugging my mouse and keyboard and waiting (for the 1 minute timer) and it also doesn't work.

Who knows what is happening. If this is a defect in my ASUS PB278Q i might return it for a RMA. Everynight a fall asleep to movies and stuff, and I don't want my monitor on all night.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Try resetting Power Options back to default in case they've changed (Balanced > Change Plan settings > Restore default settings for this plan)

·
Registered
35 Posts
I'm having the same problem as TC and also own a GTX660. It all started after I had returned a samsung monitor and disinstalling MagicTune...I've also tried what user technoir suggested to no avail.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Bump. Does anyone know how to solve this? There must be something to tweak in the registry, but I honestly have no idea where to look...Any help would be highly appreciated!

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Quote:
Originally Posted by kossair View Post

Bump. Does anyone know how to solve this? There must be something to tweak in the registry, but I honestly have no idea where to look...Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks for the bump.

So, you're having a same problem where the monitor sleeps fine, but after a few hours of use it won't? I'm thinking about installing some sort of auto-monitor shut down program or, if not that, maybe a screen saver.

Any help would be appreciated. This must be a problem with the GTX 660. I'm gonna try new drivers.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Nope my monitor just won't go to sleep at all. It worked no problem before (I had it set to go to sleep after 15 minutes), but issues arose the moment I got the new monitor and installed its drivers and the MagicTune software that came with it.

Unfortunately I wasn't satisfied with the new monitor and sent it back, uninstalled everything and now my "old" monitor won't sleep anymore...

Installing the new Gtx drivers may be worth a try. I'll report back in case it fixes anything. If it doesn't then there must be something wrong in the regestry or drivers conflict or something.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts