Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone! I would like to monitor my electric guitar using my ASUS Xonar Essence STX, mostly for practicing. Is this possible, and if so, what must I do? What is this ASIO Control Panel? Also, will there be any delay? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
7,160 Posts
Yeup.

Just take your guitar cable (I am assuming it is a 1/4th inch jack) and plug it straight into the mic port on the stx.

Next, download your favorite recording software. If you have never messed with recording software before, then I recommend you start with audacity. It's very simple to learn, it's free, and there are tons of ways you can customize it.

When you are in audacity and you want to start playing something, hit the "record" button at the top and play away.

If everything goes well, you should actually be recording your music to your computer as sort of a demo, AND you should be able to hear it through your headphones.

There will be a slight delay, but unless you are super man, you probably will not notice.

I am not sure what you mean by ASIO Control panel.

I owned a asus STX a while ago, and I know that it can play audio by using asio drivers. But I do not remember any ASIO control panel.

Can you take a screen shot of it and show it here?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
That's so lame. Sell your STX to some sucker and get a Focusrite Scarlett Solo. Then all you have to do is plug your gutar in and jam away.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
Err, you should *not* try to plug a guitar directly in to a sound card You should plug it in to a pre-amp first o_O Also, while the STX supports ASIO, I don't know if it has the ability to listen to the input.

Edit: This thread is three days old, ugh...

·
Registered
214 Posts
Latency 1ms doesn't tell the entire story, as the buffer size will be a huge deciding factor in the latency as well

You can't really hear these low latency differences, but over time and with practice, you can feel them, then once you can feel them, they're annoying as all hell on fire

1 - 7 of 7 Posts