Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 50 Posts

· Registered
5,416 Posts
the video is broken into segements and the main GPU stuff is near the beginning. Yeah it's not new price leaks, it's them having a good discussion on it.

The 6800xt -6950xt and 3080ti prices have NOT dropped in Canada for a while, and most 6800xt's are still more than the cheaper 6900xt's. I'm sure they will again, I'd love to know how many they are actually selling.
The deals are on the second hand market where it’s utterly collapsed. Time to target 300cad 12900k and 700cad 3080ti.

• Rep+
Reactions: tubs2x4

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts

· Registered
5,416 Posts
We still have a ways to go. I'd argue it hasn't utterly collapsed yet. 3080ti | Shop for New & Used Goods! Find Everything from Furniture to Baby Items Near You in Toronto (GTA) | Kijiji Classifieds

Facebook Marketplace

Used cards are still listed at "MSRP". A couple more months should do it....
Thats what they list at. Look at some of the other sites, what they ultimately sell at is lot lower. Im waiting for market to tank 70% plus so people just give it away.

Its lowball season. Time to offer 1dollar for newest computer stuff.

· H₂O Aficionado
6,011 Posts
Thats what they list at. Look at some of the other sites, what they ultimately sell at is lot lower. Im waiting for market to tank 70% plus so people just give it away.

Its lowball season. Time to offer 1dollar for newest computer stuff.
Ok but when people talk price, its what its listed at. Not what you can negotiate or lowball. I still think we have a ways to go if you reasonably want to get a 700$ CAD 3080 Ti.

· Registered
5,416 Posts
Ok but when people talk price, its what its listed at. Not what you can negotiate or lowball. I still think we have a ways to go if you reasonably want to get a 700$ CAD 3080 Ti.
Also most people aren’t active enough to target people in the enuthiast community who upgrade more frequently. Build up an relationship and who know you want deals you get. Myself, i would rather deal with contact and offer them stuff at good prices than deal with the general resale crowd.

· Old and Crochity
5,098 Posts
If it takes 100% more power draw to get 100% more performance its not an upgrade. Just saying.

· Registered
3,436 Posts
If it takes 100% more power draw to get 100% more performance its not an upgrade. Just saying.
Ugh it depends what you're looking at, in terms of performance yes its an upgrade, in terms of efficiency no its not. Everyone wants to see more performance at the same power level but at a certain point that becomes unrealistic. The bottleneck is always the software anyways, the hardware is great but when you have inefficient code then you're throwing away clock cycles. Intel's new GPUs demonstrate this perfectly, in DX12 titles they scale like crazy, but throw DX11 at them and they struggle to brute force those games.

· Registered
995 Posts
. . . in DX12 titles they scale like crazy, but throw DX11 at them and they struggle to brute force those games.
Has anyone ever figured out as to why that is?

· Registered
995 Posts
Any fix from Intel?

· Registered
2,412 Posts
Any fix from Intel?
Ask that question again in a year lmao. I'm pretty sure they only really started to sort of care about gaming performance with the iris plus series, and then a bit more with the iris xe. Now they're going to pretty much have to start from step 0 in terms of their drivers. Their dx11 and lower performance is crap because their driver overhead when communicating with the different abstraction layers is awful. It's just more work to optimize for. Hell, AMD juuuuust started to fix their rdna/rdna2 dx11 drivers.

Sorry for rant.

TL;DR: It won't be fixed anytime soon, and I'd bet money that their dx11 and lower performance will never actually be fully optimized. They'll start with titles like LoL and move on.

· Old and Crochity
5,098 Posts
Ugh it depends what you're looking at, in terms of performance yes its an upgrade, in terms of efficiency no its not. Everyone wants to see more performance at the same power level but at a certain point that becomes unrealistic. The bottleneck is always the software anyways, the hardware is great but when you have inefficient code then you're throwing away clock cycles. Intel's new GPUs demonstrate this perfectly, in DX12 titles they scale like crazy, but throw DX11 at them and they struggle to brute force those games.
As someone who is an electrical engineer you're wrong. Let me tell you why.

Increasing the size transistors and putting more power through a chip does not make it an upgrade. It makes it more transistors with more power through it. It's basically just doubling the size of area that can take energy and transfer it into performance.

If the transistor size wasn't going to be double I'd probably agree with you.

We haven't had a real performance increase in almost twenty years. They're just adding transistors.

· Registered
3,436 Posts
As someone who is an electrical engineer you're wrong. Let me tell you why.

Increasing the size transistors and putting more power through a chip does not make it an upgrade. It makes it more transistors with more power through it. It's basically just doubling the size of area that can take energy and transfer it into performance.

If the transistor size wasn't going to be double I'd probably agree with you.

We haven't had a real performance increase in almost twenty years. They're just adding transistors.
If my FPS goes up to 100 from 50 because its a 100% performance gain for 100% more power its an UPGRADE. The power usage is secondary to the performance of the silicon crunching the numbers. Adding more transistors is exactly how we get more performance in the first place, it's why moore's law is a thing. The only other way to get more out of those transistors without increasing power budgets further yet still gaining an uplift is to build the architecture to perform more efficiently for particular sets of APIs or the other way around building APIs to take better take advantage of the given hardware. If we stopped adding transistors every generation we would grind to a halt where performance is concerned, same exact thinking behind multiple CPU cores and parallelism, physics prevents us from having 100Ghz single core CPUs but we need to keep the ball rolling so you add more cores and write software aware of those threads.

· Old and Crochity
5,098 Posts
If my FPS goes up to 100 from 50 because its a 100% performance gain for 100% more power its an UPGRADE. The power usage is secondary to the performance of the silicon crunching the numbers. Adding more transistors is exactly how we get more performance in the first place, it's why moore's law is a thing. The only other way to get more out of those transistors without increasing power budgets further yet still gaining an uplift is to build the architecture to perform more efficiently for particular sets of APIs or the other way around building APIs to take better take advantage of the given hardware. If we stopped adding transistors every generation we would grind to a halt where performance is concerned, same exact thinking behind multiple CPU cores and parallelism, physics prevents us from having 100Ghz single core CPUs but we need to keep the ball rolling so you add more cores and write software aware of those threads.
They didnt start writing multithreaded CPU software until the mid to late 2010s... If software was multithreaded optimized AMD would have been trashing Intel during the Bulldozer era. That thing was MADE to do multithreaded tasks.

The stupid thing is. power efficiency per performance does equal an upgrade more than the 4xxx series of GPUs... Just doubling the power and heat output doesn't do much other than increase the amount of performance. It's SORT of an upgrade, but in engineering terms its really not.

· Registered
3,290 Posts
They didnt start writing multithreaded CPU software until the mid to late 2010s... If software was multithreaded optimized AMD would have been trashing Intel during the Bulldozer era. That thing was MADE to do multithreaded tasks.

The stupid thing is. power efficiency per performance does equal an upgrade more than the 4xxx series of GPUs... Just doubling the power and heat output doesn't do much other than increase the amount of performance. It's SORT of an upgrade, but in engineering terms its really not.
That is why I am more excited for the RDNA3 line than Nvidia's lovelace. The power versus performance from what I hearing is much better than the green team. Seems Nvidia is just brute forcing it via power usage while AMD is talking over double performance while not being as power hungry. However, if I recall from the Fermi vs. hd5000 series, Fermi was more power hungry and hotter versus evergreen arch, but because it did tesselattion better. The green team fans screamed, "BETTER!!!!, WHO CARES ABOUT HEAT OR POWER!!! IT IS BETTER!!!" Something tells me this gen will not be much different.

· Registered
853 Posts
That is why I am more excited for the RDNA3 line than Nvidia's lovelace. The power versus performance from what I hearing is much better than the green team. Seems Nvidia is just brute forcing it via power usage while AMD is talking over double performance while not being as power hungry. However, if I recall from the Fermi vs. hd5000 series, Fermi was more power hungry and hotter versus evergreen arch, but because it did tesselattion better. The green team fans screamed, "BETTER!!!!, WHO CARES ABOUT HEAT OR POWER!!! IT IS BETTER!!!" Something tells me this gen will not be much different.
6900 was pretty impressive compared to more expensive 3080ti/3090. Rumors are 384 bit bus with around same bandwidth as current 3090 plus whole bunch of cache on board also. So see what happens. Never had an amd card but not scared to try other than nvidia. Wait to see how it reviews.

· Registered
892 Posts
Computers in the future will keep doubling up power draw till that becomes the main expense, then they will import processing through the net.

Someone better tell us when and where on the net the cards will drop, because judging from the 3000 series they will sell out in seconds and have really limited stock, then come back with more price gouging. People will still pay outrageous second hand prices for the old cards..

· Registered
995 Posts
Computers in the future will keep doubling up power draw till that becomes the main expense, then they will import processing through the net.

Someone better tell us when and where on the net the cards will drop, because judging from the 3000 series they will sell out in seconds and have really limited stock, then come back with more price gouging. People will still pay outrageous second hand prices for the old cards..
In my view, since mining has sort of taken a dump, I don't think shortages will be so acute as the last go around. Also, the Covid factor has eased a little.

21 - 40 of 50 Posts