Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Iconoclast
32,314 Posts
Almost everyone besides WD makes 10,000 and 15,000 rpm SCSI and/or SAS drives.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts

·
Iconoclast
32,314 Posts
Seagate Savvio and Cheetah; Fujitsu MBA, Hitachi UltraStar, etc, all have 15k RPM drives among them.

Shouldn't be too hard to find more, and specifics, with a bit of searching.

·
Premium Member
12,928 Posts
uk? ebuyer have them, dabs and plenty of other places, go to user cp and fill out your stuff dude

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Running 4 73GB 10K rpm Seagate Savvios (2.5" form factor) here - nice eBay purchase. Pretty much wherever you are you can get some decent, modern 10 or 15K rpm SAS drives to play with from eBay if you can't buy any new.

Be warned - SAS drives make V-Raptors look cheap, and you need a special controller card as they won't work on most onboard controllers. If you ain't heard of anyone other than WD making fast drives, you won't have the necessary onboard controller

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Artas1984
View Post

Holly crap! I did not even know there were 15k drives alredy...

And the prices have seemed to drop since the release of 10k drives...

I think the first 15K drives were released in 2001...

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by /Ben
View Post

In 2001 we had windows 2000 or something. I doubt 15.000rpm HDD's.

Something else , is higher rpm's always better ?

Actually I was a year out.

The Seagate X15 was released in February 2000.

Better is misleading - you have to define what you want to do. Higher RPM = lower access times, which is better. It also increases max transfer speeds, but the actual transfer speed you will get also depend on platter density & drive electronics. Generally higher rpm drives are great for OS use (although they are still a way behind SSDs. For most other uses you would be better off using cheaper disks (in RAID arrays if necessary).

It all depends what you want to use your disks for...

• Rep+
Reactions: Blameless

·
Iconoclast
32,314 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Holly crap! I did not even know there were 15k drives alredy...

And the prices have seemed to drop since the release of 10k drives...

15,000rpm drives have been out for almost 10 years, and 10,000 rpm drives have been around for almost 15.

Quote:

View Post

Wait a sec? Through what kind of connection do i connect those types of drives to a lets say P45 motherboard? Or i am missing something? WTH...

You'd need an Ultra SCSI or SAS controller.

Quote:

View Post

Something else , is higher rpm's always better ?

A modern 7200 rpm drive will completely destroy an early 15,000 rpm drive.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by the_beast
View Post

Actually I was a year out.

The Seagate X15 was released in November 2000.

Better is misleading - you have to define what you are mearuing. Higher RPM = lower access times, which is better. It also increases max transfer speeds, but the actual transfer speed you will get also depend on platter density & drive electronics. Generally higher rpm drives are great for OS use (although they are still a way behind SSDs. For most other uses you would be better off using cheaper disks (in RAID arrays if necessary).

It all depends what you want to use your disks for...

Oh Ok. I apologize and take it back.

Well , I wan't to use some kick-ass good HDD's ( about 4 or 5 x 1TB ) purely for storage. But I want to beable to access and write the disks fast.

·
Banned
202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Is this a joke? If 10k rpm drives have been here for 15 years, so how the heck all the advertisement about them was majorly annoucned only in 2006 and the WD Raptor drives were like "the first" - WTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HERE 15 YEARS? OMG it can't be

I swear i can dig you published articles right now where it states "WD" presents first 10k Raptor hard drives"... And it was not long ago... Several years back..

·
Premium Member
8,252 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Is this a joke? If 10k rpm drives have been here for 15 years, so how the heck all the advertisement about them was majorly annoucned only in 2006 and the WD Raptor drives were like "the first" - WTH ARE YOU TALKING ABOUT HERE 15 YEARS? OMG it can't be

I swear i can dig you published articles right now where it states "WD" presents first 10k Raptor hard drives"... And it was not long ago... Several years back..

The raptors took proven Enterprise technology and applied it to the desktop environment.

If you worked in a server room 10 or 15k rpm is mundane, but in the desktop environment, it is impressive for its field.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Oh Ok. I apologize and take it back.

Well , I wan't to use some kick-ass good HDD's ( about 4 or 5 x 1TB ) purely for storage. But I want to beable to access and write the disks fast.

A little off topic - my apologies...

If you want fast, big storage, get a true hardware RAID card (not onboard RAID - for anything other than RAID0 or RAID1 it is useless). Get 4 1.5TB drives & set up a hardware RAID5 array - you should get sustained sequential reads of over 250MB/s and a capacity of 4.5TB.

Fast storage does not need fast disks - in fact for storage it is easier to get speed using multiple cheap disks.

Check out the PERC5 thread for more info.

·
Premium Member
5,330 Posts
Quote:

View Post

WD relesed the first desktop, consumer 10K drive.

If you want fast, you have to look to the enterprise market. That is where the money is, so that is where the really good stuff is.

If you don't believe us, check out this review from 2001 from Storage Review. It also lists the first 10K drives being from 1996

·
Iconoclast
32,314 Posts
Quote:

View Post

Raptors were the first consumer (meaning an (S)ATA connector) 10k rpm drives. SCSI 10k RPM drives predate the raptors by a decade.

·
Registered
3,450 Posts
Can this guy just get banned already? His posts are like train wrecks. I can't stand to look at them, but I also can't seem to look away.

There's a difference between the SATA Raptors/VR's you're talking about and the SAS and SCSI's that everyone else is referring to. It's a completely different interface type, and frankly isn't worth you looking into. Just get a decent raid controller and some WD Blacks. You'll be set.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.