Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 95 Posts

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While I like the new layout in general, there is very little contrast between columns on the main page. This makes it harder to pick out information on the page, as you're losing grid structure.

The contrast is so low that the colors can even blend together if viewed from an angle on a TN panel.

I *highly* recommend you darken the layout a little. A slight change will go a long way:

I've created a thread over in web coding explaining how to fix it yourself:
http://www.overclock.net/t/1165311/how-to-customize-the-ocn-theme-aka-fix-the-horrible-colors-in-the-new-layout#post_15650317

ocncolorsbetter.png

·
Premium Member
9,380 Posts
totally agree.

the whiteness is annoying to say the least.

·
Premium Member
10,487 Posts
there were many discussions in the beta of this about colors and the forum looking very washed out. It has been darkend some from what it was before, not sure if it will change, but I know different themes are in the works (but not a high priority at the moment).

·
AMD Acolyte
1,683 Posts
I don't have a problem reading it... Is your monitor calibrated?
In fact, the bottom picture looks worse because now the grey text is harder to read. And the OCN flames are harder to see, we can't have that
tongue.gif

I wouldn't mind the text being darker though.

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
I don't mind all the white, but some darkening on certain lines and sections would be nice.

I think a good example is can be seen when trying to discern the different in shading of threads that you've read vs one's that are unread. I can see a different if I view my monitor from an un-natural angle from below, but normally, I can't tell if it's actually shaded differently or just my eyes playing tricks on me.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post

In fact, the bottom picture looks worse because now the grey text is harder to read. And the OCN flames are harder to see, we can't have that
tongue.gif
yes, monitors are fine. I have a hard time differentiating on any three of my monitors. I guess just can't see the colors as good as other can.

That was probably just because of a quick photoshop job. if it were changed in the theme I'm sure the text colors would be different to provide a better contrast against the background.

·
Premium Member
12,992 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by qwertymac93 View Post

tongue.gif

I wouldn't mind the text being darker though.
Mine is. Its the same on my laptop as well.

The lack of contrast all over the site makes it look amateurish. Its not just the backgrounds. Choosing light-ish grey text on a white background is a big no-no. You won't see that on any professional website.

The picture is just a photoshop edit. It messes up a little due to the font smoothing.

·
AMD Acolyte
1,683 Posts
How about this then?

·
Premium Member
9,380 Posts
honestly, it should be a high priority to create other themes

i cannot stand this. It actually feels uncomfortable to browse this site

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Although there are some nice things about the new site layout, and a few other that I will slowly get used to the one big one I was shocked to see was the lack of contrast. One of the biggest design rules there is in terms of subconsciously keeping eyeballs on a website. I really hope there are some themes added soon that fix this because even though the threads themselves are ok, navigating the site itself is slightly bothersome because of the lack of contrast.

As some have pointed out it is not horrendous but even contrast being slightly off sends subconscious messages to your poor eyeballs!

·
Premium Member
9,380 Posts
you know the feeling when you haven't showed for a couple days, but you aren't like dirty?

You just feel unclean.

Kinda like how i feel right now

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by reflex99 View Post

you know the feeling when you haven't showed for a couple days, but you aren't like dirty?

You just feel unclean.

Kinda like how i feel right now
I get that feeling if I go 18 hours without a shower... lol Having been in the Army and doing field training where showering was far and few I can't stand being in civilization and not taking advantage!

·
Science
3,485 Posts
It might just be my LCD, but nothing hurts my eyes. I do know that in the sandbox, or test OCN. There was a lot of tweaking to get it to where everyone was comfortable browsing.

I know its not much help, but I seem to be fine with the contrast.

·
Registered
2,881 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLKKROW View Post

It might just be my LCD, but nothing hurts my eyes. I do know that in the sandbox, or test OCN. There was a lot of tweaking to get it to where everyone was comfortable browsing.

I know its not much help, but I seem to be fine with the contrast.
On my screen it doesn't hurt my eyes but I can see the difference in contrast. Also I can more easily notice how weak the contrast is when I shift in my computer chair and my eye height changes. It is noticeable to me. But part of this is because I teach some portions of this stuff as a teacher
wink.gif
So I notice it reflexively. Also I wouldn't say it hurts my eyes but it does fatigue them slightly faster than the previous site or other sites with good contrast and color choices.

·
Registered
1,574 Posts
I have a thing with my eyes called RP. I wont go into it, but I'm actually declared legally blind.

Sites that are bright whites are impossible for me to handle. So far, the site is just saturated into a glow to me.
Having a lot of trouble reading text and can only browse for a few minutes before my eyes begin really hurting.

One of the big reasons I hung around OCN was because of how easy it is on my eyes and I could honestly browse the site all day without a problem.
But if this sticks around, I'll probably have to call it.
frown.gif

Not complaining or trying to hand out an ultimatum, it's just how It has to be..

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Darker colors please!
frown.gif
I agree with the user before me, I have to squint my eyes just to read something and I close this page after a minute or two. What was wrong with the old color scheme?

1 - 20 of 95 Posts