Overclock.net banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i decided to get a watercooling system for my pc. i started of with looking for pumps and im starting to wonder. Is it better to have more GPH (flow rate) or more "head"? sorry for posting if this is explained somewhere else i wasnt able to find it.

·
Premium Member
9,589 Posts
They usually go hand in hand...but head is typically better because it indicates how well the pump can keep up its flow rate given a certain resistance.

oh yes, and btw, you may want to think of upgrading to a new mobo...that K8V will limit you ALOT.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

oh yes, and btw, you may want to think of upgrading to a new mobo...that K8V will limit you ALOT.

only problem i have had with it so far was trying to install win xp on a single sata drive. i overclocked my cpu to 2115 mhz without any probs. i had seen some negative posts about it too but sadly that was after i purchased it. thanks for the info on the pumps though.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Xavier1421

They usually go hand in hand...but head is typically better because it indicates how well the pump can keep up its flow rate given a certain resistance.

If you take a 400 gph pump and put 2 blocks and a rad on the loop you just effectively killed the flowrate by a ton.

I would opt for a pump with a high head vs a pump with a high gph. Get the ddc from dd which has 13.5 feet head I believe and is so small you could stick it in any case.

I am doing a seperate loop for my 6800 ultra and I am going to use that pump myself.

·
Premium Member
3,953 Posts
^^ Yes sir. The higher the head, the better. Although high gph coupled with high head is the best combo

·
Premium Member
8,208 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by kickassclone

Get the ddc from dd which has 13.5 feet head I believe and is so small you could stick it in any case.

you mean this one?
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=23&page=1
i wanted to know what the deal was with that pump. only 92.4gph but a 13.05' head at 12v.
so you guys think this one from DD is better based on its large head? (<--LOL sorry couldn't resist)

·
Registered
391 Posts
t
Quote:

Originally Posted by Transonic

you mean this one?
http://www.dangerdenstore.com/produc...&cat=23&page=1
i wanted to know what the deal was with that pump. only 92.4gph but a 13.05' head at 12v.
so you guys think this one from DD is better based on its large head? (<--LOL sorry couldn't resist)

yes that is it. oh 13.5 volts gives you 16 feet of head ooooo dang

·
Premium Member
3,820 Posts
Actually, the head is the height above the impeller at which the GPM is ZERO. The combination of the two hint at the torque of the motor driving the impeller. Since water is heavy, it takes force to push it up. The higher up, the more force needed since there is more potential energy in a higher column of water. (ooh...I am starting to sneeze from all the dust being kicked up...high school physics, 1987...aaaAAAACHOOOOOoooo!!)

Pond pumps are rated at different heads due to their use with waterfalls. A 3000GPM pump may only have a 500GPM @ 3ft head. Make sense? Since we typically aren't going up but more than 6-8", head ratings are not as critical as the GPH/GPM...as long as you have a nicely balanced flow channel. I hope it helps.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts