Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,101 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Quote:
AMD has a rather strong and clear roadmap for the period of the following three years with the aim to increase performance-per-watt of its high-performance cores by approximately 10% - 15% every year. In practice, this transforms into 33% - 52% speed boost of Excavator micro-architecture compared to Bulldozer. Technologically, AMD wants to improve IPC (instructions per clock) performance and reduce power consumption at the same time, which transforms into higher clock-speeds.
Woah. I'm telling you guys if AMD gets this right Bulldozer will be insanely good. Piledriver is going to be AM3+ right? Or is AMD going to release a new socket for Piledriver? Also I'm kind of confused, what exactly is a APU, is it worth buying these or should I just wait till Piledriver is released to AM3+?
 

·
Frequency is Megabytes
Joined
·
2,997 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

Naming convention sucks too.. Steamroller!? wow..... LAME
The K15h Familiy

Bulldozer -> Piledriver -> Steamroller -> Excavator

Actual CPU names:

Orochi -> Viperfish -> X (Will be known February 2nd)

Actual APU names:

No Bulldozer APU -> Trinity -> Kaveri
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,594 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

Naming convention sucks tho.. Steamroller!? wow..... LAME
"Sandybridge" is a pretty lame name as well.
 

·
Agressive Perfector
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmuckley View Post

looks good!
thumb.gif
..not a fan of the onboard graphics
rolleyes.gif
Why don't you like the APUs? They stick a relatively powerful GPU inside a low watt processor. Compared to Intel's 3000 IGPUs they are sooooooo much faster.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Bulldozer and Piledriver are going to see some good times this year. Like I stated on other threads, the Bulldozer needs the Windows update to run properly and once this is done we should see Bulldozer passing the 2500k but coming just under the 2600K and Piledriver will be faster then both. AMD already has the fastest GPU out and I think there going get the CPU thing better. In all fairness AMD was telling the truth when they stated Windows needs updates to run the CPU at full specs.( I believe Microsoft is holding back on these until Windows 8 so that FX owners will be forced to upgrade to Windows 8 and MS make a boat load of money) As for the APU thing I would imagine that will require a new socket as the new APUS do, but I have no probem if AMD releases a 10 core CPU running 5+GHz with a buit in 7000 series chip that wold be insane..
 

·
Agressive Perfector
Joined
·
1,310 Posts
Quote:
Like I stated on other threads, the Bulldozer needs the Windows update to run properly and once this is done we should see Bulldozer passing the 2500k but coming just under the 2600K and Piledriver will be faster then both.
The update was released. It gave a max of 5% improvement.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bravo2010 View Post

Bulldozer and Piledriver are going to see some good times this year. Like I stated on other threads, the Bulldozer needs the Windows update to run properly and once this is done we should see Bulldozer passing the 2500k but coming just under the 2600K and Piledriver will be faster then both. AMD already has the fastest GPU out and I think there going get the CPU thing better. In all fairness AMD was telling the truth when they stated Windows needs updates to run the CPU at full specs.( I believe Microsoft is holding back on these until Windows 8 so that FX owners will be forced to upgrade to Windows 8 and MS make a boat load of money) As for the APU thing I would imagine that will require a new socket as the new APUS do, but I have no probem if AMD releases a 10 core CPU running 5+GHz with a buit in 7000 series chip that wold be insane..
Eh no. The scheduler patch is confirmed to be using the same code in Windows 8.
Quote:
The best possible cases for improvement are applications that use 1-2 cores in your AMD FX processor. Our testing shows that not every application realizes a performance boost. In fact, heavily threaded apps (those designed to use all 8 cores), get little or no uplift from this hotfix - they are already maxing out the processor. In other cases, the uplift averages out to a 1-2 percent uplift. But heck, it is free performance, and this is the scheduler model that will be used in Windows 8 (along with some further enhancements), so why not add it to your list of downloads?
http://blogs.amd.com/play/2012/01/11/early-results-achieved-with-amd-fx-processor-using-windows%C2%AE-7-scheduler-update/
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kabj06 View Post

Quote:
Like I stated on other threads, the Bulldozer needs the Windows update to run properly and once this is done we should see Bulldozer passing the 2500k but coming just under the 2600K and Piledriver will be faster then both.
The update was released. It gave a max of 5% improvement.
Don't think you read his full post.
Quote:
In all fairness AMD was telling the truth when they stated Windows needs updates to run the CPU at full specs.( I believe Microsoft is holding back on these until Windows 8 so that FX owners will be forced to upgrade to Windows 8 and MS make a boat load of money)
Actually that makes sense. The patch was a port from Windows 8 to Windows 7, it doesn't include all the other support it needs that Windows 8 is going to have. It was just the scheduler and core parking.

Also will Piledriver be AM3+ or should I get Trinity?
 
  • Rep+
Reactions: Bravo2010

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post

Don't think you read his full post.
Quote:
In all fairness AMD was telling the truth when they stated Windows needs updates to run the CPU at full specs.( I believe Microsoft is holding back on these until Windows 8 so that FX owners will be forced to upgrade to Windows 8 and MS make a boat load of money)
Actually that makes sense.
Also will Piledriver be AM3+ or should I get Trinity?
That doesn't make sense because AMD confirmed that Windows 8 and the scheduler patch used in Windows 7 are sharing the same code.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
I thought that was just a patch and not an offical update. It's still a work in progress, and AMD still has the option of changing up the design abit. AMD is on the right path, like I said we should see some promising results this year from AMD. Think about it, it doesn't make sense to make a CPU which preforms less then its predecessors. The design is solid i've read a ton of stuff on it. I'm not saying rush out and buy an FX chip. I just bought an 1100T to get me by while they work out the bugs, at the same if I had more money at the time I would have bought an 8150 FX.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
247 Posts
Quote:
That doesn't make sense because AMD confirmed that Windows 8 and the scheduler patch used in Windows 7 are sharing the same code.
They still had to port it, even if it is the same code its still ported from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Yes it was just a patch its not an official update or anything, Windows 8 will be able to fully support the Bulldozer architecture so they say. If it ends up not being the case, I'll be happily to take my business to Intel.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
687 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKFlight View Post

Quote:
That doesn't make sense because AMD confirmed that Windows 8 and the scheduler patch used in Windows 7 are sharing the same code.
They still had to port it, even if it is the same code its still ported from Windows 8 to Windows 7. Yes it was just a patch its not an official update or anything, Windows 8 will be able to fully support the Bulldozer architecture so they say. If it ends up not being the case, I'll be happily to take my business to Intel.
I agree 100%, but I know AMD is going to pull through on this one and ya if I'm wrong then I guess I'll go green too, but with evrthing i've read I think 8150 was bashed to much on forums the chip is fast and it's not even being utilized .
thumb.gif
 
1 - 20 of 49 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Top