Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, so I undid the RAID, reformatted the drives with a Gparted disc and went to install. I got Win7 on fine, but Linux keeps freezing or tossing errors at me. If I try to install from the live session it freezes as well. Does anyone know why the installer is freezing????

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I decided to run a memtest, ive got 4 new gigs of RAM, new mobo, and cpu. If i got a lemon board, Im going to be pissed.......

·

29,532 Posts
Keep an eye on your keyboard when it's freezing. If your caps lock and scroll lock LEDs are blinking, then that means that you ran into a kernel panic, which is a serious issue. I'd suggest you try installing Gentoo because the installer from that is all command-line, so you're able to see all output from the panic.

*EDIT*

The only issue with the last step is that you're most likely going to run a different kernel that doesn't have the issue, so it's a hard issue to troubleshoot. But at least you know it's a kernel panic if the keyboard LEDs blink.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'll give it a shot, but I doubt that will happen tonight, my heads hurting pretty bad, and its only 11:30, so my normal 1am bedtime probably isnt happenging :\\

edit: forgot to mention, everything is running stock clocks as well.

Is it possible, according to Memtest, my RAM is running at 9-9-9-24 instead of the 8-8-8-21 that it should be at is causing my problems???

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
grrr thats annoying. And you already know how much trouble I had before.......

edit to the original post i was going to make befor ei fell asleep: Memtest passed all 8GB

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Greetz
While it's true and desirable to see the kernel messages while loading, I take some issue with using Gentoo to accomplish this, unless you're quite familiar with Linux as well as all your hardware. Then there's the kernel differences that may result in not telling you anything useful about Ubuntu, which is what I assume you'd like to end up with. Also it could be you already have the tools you need and if not there are simpler ways

First off, the Live portion of Ubuntu does boot, right? If that's true then you already have that exact kernel's messages even though the st00pid splash screen hid it during boot. The first thing to do then is to launch a terminal and type "dmesg |tail". This will give you just the tail end of the boot logs and often that's enough as Linux will try to solve problem issues for awhile before it gives up.

If that is too small a sample then you'll have to type "dmesg |more". (Aside- one cool thing you can do to avoid duplicating typing is hit the up and down arrow keys which will cycle through command history and when the previous "dmesg" command pops up just backspace out "tail" and insert "more") Anyway "|more" will just display one screens worth and prompt you to notch through by the line or by the page (space bar). This works in any console. If you're in X you can omit the "}more" and just use the scroll bar.

Until we see that information the best I can offer right now is to try some LiveCDs to see what boots and what hangs. Puppy, Slax, and Knoppix are good choices for reasonably different kernels and load levels.

It sux you're having so much difficulty especially on a new and pretty sweet sounding system. We will work it out though, ultimately, since you show determination and perseverity and that attracts helpers. Nobody enjoys helping lazy whiners, and you're not that.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ill get some more liveCDs made today at work (ive got hardly anything to work on, no students on campus over the summer) but I should clarify something that wasnt too clear last night while I was irritated. While yes the LiveCD did boot, when I tried to run the installation from the desktop icon, it froze on the clock stage after saying it was the right timezone. It also hung just booting the disc and going to install straight away on the clock stage, drive selection, and partitioning stages. The only time I got it to successfully install was with the Alternate Install disc, and then it wouldn't reboot after the install completed. I hard rebooted from that, and then it wouldn't boot the OS.

When I get home though Ill see about getting those terminal commands run and trying out the other LiveCDs.

If worst comes to worst, I can always use a different distro, just Ubuntu is the only one I have used and Id rather learn in there and maybe create a VM to learn another distro later on.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Did we try running md5sum on the iso you downloaded and did you verify the burn?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
No, thought about that on the way to work, Ill probably pull a new iso while Im doing the other LiveCDs

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by nameunknown
View Post

no, thought about that on the way to work, ill probably pull a new iso while im doing the other livecds

good idea

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
yeah, this 100% sounds like a bad disk to me.... try another burn, slow as possible if you can... I have had ubuntu mess up when burning a few times and it always does something like what you're explaining.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Brand new download, brand new disc, burned on a different computer, and its still not working......

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NameUnknown
View Post

Brand new download, brand new disc, burned on a different computer, and its still not working......

So what happened with the Ubuntu Live portion? Did it boot? Were you able to see logs? Did you try any other LiveCDs? Have you discovered what if anything the Ubuntu kernel lacks?

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well, Slax boots nice and fine, posting from Slax right now. but that doesnt mean a whole lot as Ubuntu will run Live as well, just wont install without freezing up.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
holy ****, it installed without problem. now just to see if it will boot. Decided I could try to install the ATI driver for the 5970, but it required a reboot, which meant the live environment wouldnt have kept it. So I just installed without rebooting, and it worked. I'm guessing it was that 5xxx driver

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NameUnknown View Post
well, Slax boots nice and fine, posting from Slax right now. but that doesnt mean a whole lot as Ubuntu will run Live as well, just wont install without freezing up.

Quote:

holy ****, it installed without problem. now just to see if it will boot. Decided I could try to install the ATI driver for the 5970, but it required a reboot, which meant the live environment wouldnt have kept it. So I just installed without rebooting, and it worked. I'm guessing it was that 5xxx driver
See it just needed Slax to persuade the firmware to stop screwin' around,
lolz I'm only partly joking. I can't explain it and I'm no NewAge-ey type at all, but I have an ancient Sony Vaio laptop that has had a messed up display for years. The colors are out of whack. For example the Sony splash screen is supposed to be white on a black background and for years the background has been red, and desktops look weird.

One day I fired up the Slax LiveCd and upon reboot the splash screen was correctly white on black! The installed OpSys was WinXP and booting and rebooting it over time
eventually resulted in the messed up colors again. I'm not saying that XP causes it because it is a dual boot and even if I stay out of windows, it reverts eventually.

It isn't practical to install Slax to hard drive (though I'm sorely tempted with Slax Remix) and Salix isn't even a close 2nd so for now I just boot the Live CD every now and then and I'm "Back in Black".

Anyway Congratulations for whatever fixed the issues. I hope it continues to r0x!

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Im just glad I saw the thread about the 5xxx drivers in someones sig, thats the only way I knew about it being a potential issue.

But yeas, Slax, looks pretty nice
might have to try it out sometime.

·
10 year OCN Vet
3,421 Posts
Quote:

Im just glad I saw the thread about the 5xxx drivers in someones sig, thats the only way I knew about it being a potential issue.
Yeah it'll be nice when AMD/ATi gets really solid in Linux. It's coming soon to a theatre near you.

Quote:

But yeas, Slax, looks pretty nice
might have to try it out sometime.
Apparently you already did

Quote:

I'm really glad you have it all working now and just wanted to point out that if you got basic Slax and not the remix with Flash already installed, seen here,

http://www.mediafire.com/?3gnjmonhmg1 t'ts even better.

On thumbdrive/pendrive/whatever it has a persistent section that saves personal settings and newly installed programs and drivers, while maintaining a boot menu for "fresh on any machine" w/o any changes, but it too like all slax really is meant to be a portable system and not installed to hard drive, although I am tempted on an old laptop. The developers think that if you want a hard drive install you should just install Slackware and if you need to keep it as lean 'n mean as Slax is.

Whatever, it's an amazing portable system.

·
Registered
4,409 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I hate this computer so much right now, Im beginning to think i got a faulty motherboard. But now it wont load GRUB, just sits there saying loading Operating System, like it did last time I booted. Maybe what Ill do this time when I reinstall everything again, is put them both on my HDD and the VMs and other applications on SSDs. Need to do something before I go crazy from lack of steam sale game playing......

1 - 20 of 28 Posts