Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone ever go into mosfet cooling?? I am wondering because I have extra ram sinks laying around that would do 2 mosfets per sink.

There is a thread I can't find that had thermal images of buddies Intel system. His Mosfets were cooking at over 70*C. This got me thinking into what the H E double hockey sticks is a mosfet. After a bit of research it turns out that they control voltage fluctuations into the CPU. And aparantly they get warmer with OC'ing(duh) and increases in Vcore(duh again).

So anyone think about applying heatsinks to there system and see if they can OC any higher then there max so far??

I think I'm gonna try it but will have to wait and see what kind off effect I get after my Ram get here(Damn why won't it just get here!!!)

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Higher quality components (like those used in the DFI board) don't throw off as much heat as cheapies. You'll sometimes seen board that already have the MOSFETs sinked because they're trying to get away with using cheapo stuff. There's certianly no harm in it (other than voiding one's warranty
) But I wouldn't expect any benefit from it either.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hmmmm, I think your right for our board. I went to stock setting and not one mosfet is more then warm to the touch. Definatly not over 25-30 degrees.

Well thats just good news for DFI'ers, I'll do the mosfet feel test later whent he board is really OC'd and overvolted.

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Yeah I felt them loaded up under Prime95 running a 1.9 vcore and they were only about as hot as the chipset heatsink, no biggy. It would make the board look cooler though, but kiss your warranty good-bye

·
Registered
125 Posts
I just put an active 40mm cooler on my NF7-S southbridge. Whenever I had my fsb overclocked over 200Mhz the onboard sound would get choppy or cut out after an hour or so of heavy gaming like doom 3. I just upgraded my ram and with that cooler on the southbridge I have my fsb cranked up to 222Mhz, but I haven't tested if the sound cuts out or not.

If your doing any sort of fsb overclocking then you should definetely have at least passive cooling on the north and south bridge.

·
Premium Member
5,606 Posts
well, my mobo's mosfets have nice blue heatsinks on em, that get really warm, so i put on a fan there and my voltages are a little better. it also depends if its a p4 or AMD, because seems like p4s have way warmer mosfets...

·
Premium Member
3,859 Posts
my nb gets so f*cking hot because the hsf blows hot air directly on it.....thoes little air escape lines are facing the same way on the nb hs and the cpu hs

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by YiffyGriffy
other than voiding one's warranty

ramsinks that are used on a mobo have thermal tape...not adhesive

·
Premium Member
11,430 Posts
Yeah I thought about that the other day, though some people would opt to use Arctic Silver epoxy.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts