Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Mosfett controls the vcore voltage right? so the warmer the mossfet gets the more unstable voltage u get? im planning to rig a fan on my msi neo4 sli plat. would this help me with my vcore fluctuation?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by shortfuse

Mosfett controls the vcore voltage right? so the warmer the mossfet gets the more unstable voltage u get? im planning to rig a fan on my msi neo4 sli plat. would this help me with my vcore fluctuation?

Yes, the MOSFET (1 T) is a transistor that contols the vcore.. Yea, I guess you can say the warmer the MOSFETs get, the more flux there is. It is recomended that you keep that temp under 50c, a fan isnt required, just some heatsinks w/some AS5. That is your cheapest solution, though you can get a fan..

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
Quote:

Yes, the MOSFET (1 T) is a transistor that contols the vcore.. Yea, I guess you can say the warmer the MOSFETs get, the more flux there is. It is recomended that you keep that temp under 50c, a fan isnt required, just some heatsinks w/some AS5. That is your cheapest solution, though you can get a fan..

man i guess i had better get osme cooling on those puppies mine idle at like 50 to 60c and loads are high like 90c+

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by wowza

How can u tell the temps on mosfets? applying as5 on the heatsink on em mosfet is not an option for me its kindda hard to pull it out.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22

man i guess i had better get osme cooling on those puppies mine idle at like 50 to 60c and loads are high like 90c+

They can take 100c but they won't be happy... I would get this, cheap and effective (good combo
) That will bring your temps down a ton.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

How can u tell the temps on mosfets? applying as5 on the heatsink on em mosfet is not an option for me its kindda hard to pull it out.

Uh, for temp sensors, not all boards have them, the Abit boards do (which I have had 3 before) let me see if I can find some software that will monitor them... If worst comes to worst, you can allways buy a temp. diode, and stick it under your heatsink (assuming you can get it off).

Take a pick of the mosfet's on your board, because, usually, they don't come with Heatsinks allready applied... usually just the Northbridge..

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
sry to butt in... but if i uplaod a pic of my mobo can u show me the mosfets????

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

By the way im using speed fan to monitor my temps.

Does it list a PWM temp? if not, well, I don't think your motherboard has a temp sensor on the mosfets...Sounds like your going to have to remove the Heatsinks and manually put a temp diode on it... Let's see a pic and see if it is manageable to get the heatsinks off..

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

sry to butt in... but if i uplaod a pic of my mobo can u show me the mosfets????

Mosfet are mainly black square things go ahead and upload a pic of ur mobo so we can tell u.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by pbasil1

Shure thing.. I would devide your mobo up into 4 sections (the upper left, upper right, lower left, and lower right) because they are fairly small chips.. And then I will see if I can circle them for you.

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
i think i know what/where they are but i would just like to make sure... good to know kinda stuff...

this is from the web site... if you need more detailed pics i geuss i could open my case and take more detailed pics for ya...

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:

Does it list a PWM temp? if not, well, I don't think your motherboard has a temp sensor on the mosfets...Sounds like your going to have to remove the Heatsinks and manually put a temp diode on it... Let's see a pic and see if it is manageable to get the heatsinks off..

Nope doesnt say anything about PWM. ohh so pwm is the mosfet temps. been wondering what that was on my old dfi nf3. heres the best pic i can find cant really take a pic of my mobo i guess i just have to disassemble it again and look around further

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by MADMAX22

these are th mosfets circled in redish color, there may be more but you can tell they look like chips with really big legs and stand away from the mobo usually

ok thanks alotz....im gonna cut up some old pentium 486 heatsinks into smaller heatsinks and put them on... should i use like an epoxy? or what?

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
sry, guys it wont let me use a photo editor on this mac (compatibility issues, the mac is holding me over while i wait for my mobo in my sig)

Nooo dont use epoxy!! That will do more damage than good..use some thermal compound (i prefer AS5)... that should make them stick good enough.

·
Premium Member
3,952 Posts
Quote:

Nope doesnt say anything about PWM. ohh so pwm is the mosfet temps. been wondering what that was on my old dfi nf3. heres the best pic i can find cant really take a pic of my mobo i guess i just have to disassemble it again and look around further

Intresting, they do come with mosfet coolers...Well, can you tell if they hold them down by glue (very stupid) or by a hardened thermal compound? If it is being held down by a thermal compound, you can probably heat up the heatsinks with a blowdryer and twist them off.. So you can set a temp diode in there and put some decent thermal paste.. Though, I wouldn't worry about temps too much..since they have heatsinks..
sry bout the dbl post..

·
Premium Member
5,811 Posts
Quote:

Nooo dont use epoxy!! That will do more damage than good..use some thermal compound (i prefer AS5)... that should make them stick good enough.

the as5 sticks good? i didnt think it was sticky at all... its not a glue... what should i use instead of the epoxy?

·
Premium Member
7,891 Posts
usually when you get ram sincs they come with either a adhesive tape on them or in the package and you can usually get this adhesive thermal tape seperatly bear in mind it doesnt conduct as good as as5 but it conducts and your not as concerned with the efficiency as you are with the cpu and such

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.