Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the most common size a typical user (gaming or not) buys these days ? If not as many people use CF/Sli, who even buys +650W anymore ?

·
Iconoclast
30,445 Posts
Most people probably only need 250-450w units for lower-end to mid-range systems on mainstream platforms with integrated video or a single dedicated mid-range card. 500-750w is reasonable for higher-end and/or OCed systems with a single GPU.

It's absolutely possible for ~650w to be on the low side for some single GPU systems. My four fastest CPUs each pull well over 200w at full load and I have just as many video cards that can draw in the ballpark of 300-400w a piece under some loads. Factor in board power, fans, drives, and other peripherals and that means 750w is about as low as I'd want to go on most of my systems...and I've generally got 850w-1kw units because they either aren't that much more expensive, or because I want headroom for further power hungry upgrades.

·
Overclocking Enthusiast
6,040 Posts
I would say the most common is 750w. Reason being is that most people go by what ever their gpu's box says they need. Or they use a psu calculater wrongly. Or possibly think they will go sli later on. But most people will be fine with a good quality 450-550w.

I'm using a 850w because it was cheaper then a 750w at the time. But I run sli and needed 750w (850w).

·
Senior OCN Member
39,887 Posts
Another factor is the amount of cables as you dont get very many SATA connectors unless you buy a 750 watt or bigger
My build has become more of a media server then a gaming rig so i need a ton of SATA power connectors and every 550-650 watt has too few for my needs

Random fact of the day the Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 750 watt is the only 750 watt on the market with 10 SATA power connectors
At least that i know as i have been looking into maybe replacing my G2

On the other hand i got both a set of CableMod cables and the stock G2 cables so its not worse then digging a cable out of the box and putting it in

·
9 Cans of Ravioli
19,910 Posts
650w was only ~$10 more expensive than 550w, and 750w was only ~$5 more expensive than 650w when I was looking to buy.

:D

·
Registered
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would say the most common is 750w. Reason being is that most people go by what ever their gpu's box says they need. Or they use a psu calculater wrongly. Or possibly think they will go sli later on. But most people will be fine with a good quality 450-550w.

I'm using a 850w because it was cheaper then a 750w at the time. But I run sli and needed 750w (850w).
Excellent, plans are afoot.

I have a 2yo EVGA supernova 850W, which was for r9 290 CF. With the trend to lower power GPUs I could change to 750W and still run most CF/SLi fine. I'm debating getting a 2nd r9 280x as a hold over, if the prices of 1180 Ti are too high.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts