Overclock.net banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the most CPU heavy game to date? I want to run a little benchmark of my own and need a real demanding game.

·
Premium Member
14,732 Posts
Flight simulators and RTS games with very high unit limits will all tax the cpu heavily. I don't know if you'll find a single game that rises above all else, but the previous statement should give you what you're looking for.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jov4nTh3Yu9o

·
Blue and Green Team!
10,736 Posts
Flight Simulator X is probably the big one. Supreme Commander is another. Stuff that hass a mass of multiple calculations to perform at the same time.

Counterstrike with a ton of bots running locally? Garry's Mod?

Source games do use the CPU a fair amount.

• Rep+
Reactions: Jov4nTh3Yu9o

·
Premium Member
3,261 Posts
arma or gta 4

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Black ops, when it first came out. I would sit in the menu screen and my cpu would be at 100% :O

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Alright thanks, I don't have any flight simulators at the moment, but I do have Shogun II which I can max out anyway. The Reason I'm asking is because newer games like Rage look like they takes a lot of processing power and aside from my plans to upgrade to a new gpu I was thinking of possibly upgrading my cpu as well.

·
Adclock.net
3,751 Posts
Tbh i think your I7 920 will be fine, i honestly wouldn't worry about it for a while.

·
Premium Member
4,157 Posts
Crysis 1, XYZ physics demonstration custom map.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Dwarf fortress taxes the cpu a lot, mostly because its single core and poorly optimized, but once a fortress gets big enough your cpu cries

·
Registered
1,270 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Quote:
you could also get liquid cooling and push that i7 a bit further, the 920 can get pretty fast with a hard enough overclock
I was thinking of going for a hex-core
Quote:
Tbh i think your I7 920 will be fine, i honestly wouldn't worry about it for a while.
But then again I might wait till socket 2011

1 - 20 of 36 Posts