Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey - first time build here and I went with a 1 TB HDD and my collection of music/movies is starting to build up at a decent rate. Would it be best to use my 1 TB HDD as my media storage and get something smaller for my boot drive and everything else? Or would it be easier to get a external HDD and throw all my media on there and use it as a way to back up my drive as well?

·
Registered
2,932 Posts
I was in the same situation and I bought another 1TB internal drive. I don't like external drives. In my opinion they get dropped or damaged much easier than a disk that stays in your rig.

I have a backup disk that I leave inside my rig I just keep it unplugged when I don't use it. That way even a lightning strike (I've lost 2 rigs to lightning over the years, yes I was using a surge protector, no the surge protector companies didn't pay for it like they said they would on the box...) or PSU explosion wont kill my backup drive. I guess the only thing I have to worry about is my rig being stolen or a fire...

·
Registered
341 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Mmmm - I may go the external HDD route - although I'm interested in having an SSD for boot but I'm real short on cash.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jellis142
View Post

Small SSD for boot, 1Tb as your main storage, and a redundant external 1Tb for backups and images of your OS. My 2c, as older-generation SSD's are fairly cheap and have more then enough space for a Windows partition (32-64Gb).

This, +1

1 - 7 of 7 Posts