Overclock.net banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Soo... Im building a new rig and im here at the HDD department... I see alot of different specs and was wondering what the most important spec is and also the importance of the other specs...<br />
<br />
In newegg, they list specs like <br />
<br />
Average latency<br />
Average seek time<br />
cache<br />
10k vs 7.2k rpm<br />
<br />
etc... so i heard other terms like burst, perpendicular recording, NCQ...<br />
<br />
what does it all mean? What are the deciding factors between a good harddrive and a better one.

·
Premium Member
7,245 Posts
These are the most important specs IMO:<br />
1.Capacity<br />
2.RPMs 7.2K or 10K the bigger the better. However 10K HDDs (the raptors) are too expensive IMO. 2x 7.2kHDDs in RAID0 are better<br />
3.Buffer size - it's kind of a a standard these days to have 16Mb buffer. From my experience I'm telling you it's worth the extra 5$<br />
4.Seek time - the smaller the better, but those values on the egg are fake. For a 7.2K HDD they are between 12-15ms and for the raptors 10K around 7-9ms. Having NCQ diminishes the penalty of having higher acces times. <br />
5.Platter density - this is a spec that's not posted on newegg, but a thing like perpendicular recording assures a greater platter density, thus higher speed.<br />
<br />
You haven't asked for this but maybe it would give you an idea. Since a week ago I have a SEAGATE 7200.10 SATA2 disk. Specs: 250GB, 7200rpm, real seek time 13.8ms, NCQ, 16Mb buffer, SATA2, burst speed ~230Mb/s (important if you have 16Mb buffer), perpendicular recording and the performance is supreme compared to my old Maxtor 120PATA or Maxtor SATA2 16Mb buffer.

·

29,532 Posts
You will gain more percentage of speed with a lower seek time and NCQ than with the same "lower" seek time without NCQ, if you understand what I mean.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts