Overclock.net banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, may I know which AMD FX CPU could get me the highest overclock. Is it FX9590? Cause I am using Intel now but feel like going back to AMD.

·
Registered
81 Posts
9590 would probably be best if you don't have insane cooling. I don't think your gonna be using liquid nitrogen to get very high clocks like on the 8000 series where I think the 8350 or the 8370 has the overclocking record.

·
Head Smeghead of OCN
3,150 Posts
I've noted newer chips tend to wall quickly compared to older ones and I'm not the only one to see this.
My recently aquired 8370 for stock speeds and a bit beyond is good but runs hotter than my other chips do plus for some reason the chip's IMC seems weaker.
Doesn't seem to play nice once a certain MHz is reached, could be freezing it will eliminate it's problems but ATM my 9590 and 8320 chips can clock higher with less voltage.

Also recently picked up a 4350, same deal with it vs my older FX chips. My FX 4300 blows it away in terms of what it's IMC can do too plus also shows a tendency to clock higher with the same behaviour.

Now..... I've seen that many have tried the 8300 with good results, cheap chip for getting 8 cores and also has the lower 95W TDP rating, I should have picked it up instead of the 4350 and may do so if possible before long.
wink.gif

Nothing really wrong with the 9370 or 9590 except these are a beast when it comes to keeping it cool under most OC'ing conditions - However with LN2 and a good pot this is negated since all 8 cored FX chips will basically pull the same wattage and throw out the same heat once you get them into uber-clock territory.
Biggest deal at that point would be the board you have it in.

All I'm saying by this is that it seems AMD has been binning along a more strict set of lines related to chip model as of late with the best pieces being designated as the 9xxx series chips. I've seen it being said elsewhere their newer chips of the same model just don't want to be as OC friendly as older ones are.

Strictly speaking - If using LN2, I'd say get a 9590 and just go for it, if not more or less any 8 cored chip can get it done if the chip is any good in the first place.

·
Registered
822 Posts
If you can get your hands on an 8350 from before the 8370 and 9590 launched it will have a higher chance of overclocking higher I think because now days the 9590 is just a higher binned 8350. So now days you prob wont get a 8370 that can go over 5ghz because it would have been used as a 9590.

·
Registered
3,467 Posts
any chip later than 1429 will clock better than the same bin previous to that.

no point in getting a leaky 9590 or 9370, just get a 83XX something and get cooling. Large AIO or custom lopp for best results.

from everything i've seen 8370 and 8370-e are the utter creams of the crops'

the overclock ceiling limit of a 8320-e and 9590 are the exact same. with the mature process the leaky nature of the 9000 bins doesn't translate into higher clocks. it didn't really in the first place.
but that was the state that AMD decided to launch that chip

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
I can vouch for the 8370. I have one. It is a 1429 I think, manages 5GHz with an easy 1.475V on a less than stellar motherboard. Could probably do 5.2GHz or more in a Sabertooth.

·
curmudgeon
5,930 Posts
I've complained about my 1538 8370 plenty already and it seems to be getting worse. It will probably end up in the round file.

·
Registered
822 Posts
i am missing something, what is the number yall are saying 1429, 1538? is that batch or something? can cpu-z tell me this?

·
AMD Overclocker
6,277 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by andydabeast View Post

i am missing something, what is the number yall are saying 1429, 1538? is that batch or something? can cpu-z tell me this?
It is batch numbers. Most of the 2014 chips are good. But it seems the 2015 chips like Miklkit has are worse, so yeah as always its the luck of the draw, but if you manage to get a 14xx chip you are pretty much guaranteed a decent one.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlailScHLAMP View Post

the numbers between FA and PGS

to my knowledge CPU-z doesn't show this

(this is my old 8350)

13 = 2013

08= week 8 of 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alastair View Post

It is batch numbers. Most of the 2014 chips are good. But it seems the 2015 chips like Miklkit has are worse, so yeah as always its the luck of the draw, but if you manage to get a 14xx chip you are pretty much guaranteed a decent one.
Dang I'll hafta see if I took a pic of mine before installation or if it says on the box UPC sticker. I bought it in late 2014 so I guess I can't be 2015 lol.

·
Registered
628 Posts
FX-8320E. To go from a base clock of 3.2 Ghz to 4.6-4.8 Ghz is the greatest overclock by percentage, even if it isn't the highest possible overclock for an FX chip.

·
Registered
185 Posts
All I know is I can get my 8320 from it's 3.5 Ghz stock to 4.7 Ghz on air using an ancient Thermaltake Big Typhoon Cooler with a simple multi change

1 - 15 of 15 Posts