Overclock.net banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
Most drives on the whole (across and within companies) will have pretty similar failure rates.

If you're looking for something reliable in case you run into a problem, Western Digital's Caviar Black line comes with a 5yr. warranty.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Caviar Blacks would also get my choice. Regardless or size or company, ALWAYS have a backup somewhere.

·
Premium Member
4,484 Posts
Most reliable drives are probably the Western Digital RAID Edition hard-drives. They are designed for enterprise-level applications, including 24x7 operation and specifically RAID operations.

Reference: http://www.westerndigital.com/en/pro...sp?DriveID=503

Ideal For

Ideal for servers, storage arrays, video surveillance, and other demanding write-intensive applications.

You can expect to pay a premium for them though. Search for WD RE3 and RE4 hard-drives.

---

I buy the WD RE drives for storing critical / important information, usually in RAID-1 configurations, but I also do regular backups of these arrays as well.

I use WD Caviar Black hard-drives for mainstream desktops / workstations running in RAID-0/10 operations.

·
Registered
585 Posts
My first Raptor failed in less than a year. But that's why you have a 5 year warranty

Got a VelociRaptor replacement, no issue so far.

·
Old School OCNer
1,903 Posts
Caviar Blacks, Greens than Blues. I have not had the black or greens crap out on me yet. But, I've had 2 blues crap out on me.

·
Premium Member
4,678 Posts
I too am gonna jump on the band wagon and have to say the western digital blacks because of the 5 year warantee. The lowest black they offer is the 500 and i do have them in raid0 on another rig of mine.

As stated above generaly speaking, all drives any company, have a failure rate at some point.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by southwind
View Post

what is the most reliable WD drive

Whichever one I don't own.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts