Overclock.net banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking for a reliable way to tell what my CPU temp is so that I dont burn the thing out. I currently have MBM 5, but it just does not seem to be reliable, or I am not setting up the temperature settings correctly.

I currently have an MSI K8N Neo2 Plat w/ AMD64 939 3000+ proc w/ OCZ 3700 Gold Rev. 3. The system is set to 4x HTT, 255 FSB (OC'ed to about 2300 Mhz up from 1800 Mhz), 1.475 voltage for CPU, 2.7 voltage for memory, memory timings at 3-4-4-10, and have a Thermaltake Venus 12 w/ manual fan control. I am running Windows 2000.

Generally, my CPU temp shows up as less than 40 C in MBM 5, but after running for a day or so lately it has been inching up and now idles around 46 and 49 C. I cant see the temp when I am playing a game, but when I quickly switch out it is above 50 C. When I reboot and go into the Bios and let it sit for a while, it stays below 40 C all the time. Then when I log back into windows, it generally stays well below 40 C as well, but after a day or so it heads back up to those high temps and jumps between 46 and 49 C. Also, when I crank up the fan, it does not seem to do anything to the temp registering in MBM 5 on my taskbar.

It just makes me question MBM 5, or at least the settings that I have tried. In fact, I dont know what the appropriate settings are. Is there a better utility out there or am I destined to have no good idea of what my CPU temp is? If MBM 5 is the best, what settings should I use for my config? Also, how do I get it to correctly show my case temp. My case temp in bios is usually around 30 C I think, maybe a little lower, but it says 10 or so in MBM 5, so I am guessing that is wrong.

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
Best thing to do is go out and buy a probe, then you'll know for sure.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by zokus

Best thing to do is go out and buy a probe, then you'll know for sure.

Where can I buy a probe??? Any specific recommendations???

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
them sites like newegg should have them, i wouldn't know for sure cause I'm not in the states.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The venus 12 comes with some sort of temp sensor, but by the time I saw it I had already installed my arctic silver and my proc. Also, the directions seemed a little unclear to me as to where I needed to place it. Next to the proc, between proc and heat sink (I think this is a no-no), etc. I dont know if this venus one will just be displayed in the bios, or if I can get it to display on the desktop.

Thanks for your comments zokus.

Quote:

them sites like newegg should have them, i wouldn't know for sure cause I'm not in the states.

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Quote:

Thanks

·
Registered
2,248 Posts
No prob, Yiffy told me to put the sensor on the heatspreader, though i burnt out two that way. Definately a no, the best reading I got was stuck to the side of the spreader, or right on the core of your heatsink.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I just re-set up MBM5 and noticed that after hitting update to update the mb options, there is no option for the MSI K8N Neo2 Plat, only the MSI K8N Neo (not sure about plat part), but it does allow option for "all versions". My readings seem a little strange as I have mentioned above so I was wondering if any knows if this is truely the setting for the Neo2 version, or if MBM5 just has not updated their options yet.

Thanks

Quote:

Originally Posted by mfillpot

Here is a great deal for only $22

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
your mobo may not be supported by mbm5.
from what Ive read on there site it is no longer updated or supported in any way.
I have an MSI K7N2 Delta2 and have not tryed using mbm5 because the mbm5 setup only lists the delta. you may be in the same situation, it supports the older version of your mobo, but not the newer.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have the K7N2 Delta (first one)and I believe it's indeed working on mine.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
MBM5 does list the Delta, but not the Delta2 so it should work np for you. from my understanding fourstar77 is in the same situation as me. mbm5 lists the K8N Neo but not the K8N Neo2 which he has. there is a diffrence in the boards than the older ones, and if the Neo2 is like the Delta2 it came out after the last update of MBM5 which could explain it not working correctly.

·
Registered
516 Posts
he just sounded unsure if it worked n the Delta...I was confirming it lol

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
I got my MBM 5 on a non-supported motherboard and it works perfectly

MSI K7t pro 2-A, all they have is Pro... just put pro.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by blob

I got my MBM 5 on a non-supported motherboard and it works perfectly

MSI K7t pro 2-A, all they have is Pro... just put pro.

I wouldnt trust it on a non supported board, and the reason why is due to the test I just did with it.

I downloaded it and durring install selected the closest board it had listed to mine the Delta-Ilsr.
I ran it(knowing what my temps run after several days of monitoring them threw bios and core center) and it showed my cpu temp at 68*c I ran core center to check and it showed the same 68* and immdeatly shut my comp down. durring reboot I went into bios and it showed temp at 38* get into windows and core center is showing the same 38*(like it should).

not trying to be a butt, but I just proved if MBM5 doesnt support your board it could(notice I didnt say would) cause problems.

·
Premium Member
4,000 Posts
well for me it says 52 C (its a Tbird so its hot), and i reboot and goto bios and its 52C... so yeah..

·
Premium Member
4,555 Posts
Mine reads the same as the bios... 58C idle (net surfing rig) and like 64C load.

I dont know whats up with this xp1900, it's always ran hot, I've had it for about 3 years now.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts