Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

Im still fairly new to building and very new to oc'ing. I've built an Intel system a few years ago, which was the family computer, but now I want to build a system for myself but, as im at uni, it needs to be on a budget! It will mainly be for graphics work (Photoshop, Illistrator etc.) but also multi-media and gaming when i have chance!

I decided to go with the 965BE as it seemd to best fit my needs and budget (Really for graphics an i7 would be best but I'm never going to be able to afford one of them while studying!) but I would like some advice on what motherboard to go for.
I had been looking at the Asrock 890GX extreme 3 (£87.46 fom here http://www.ebuyer.com/product/204534) but I dont know if its any good?
Or should I streach my budget and get something better? If so what?
I had seen the Asus Crosshair IV Formula which looked Beasty! but its nearly twice the price!

I need it to have fairly good on-board graphics (hence looking at the 890 chip sets) as the budget just wont streach to a gaphics card for now so will have to be a future upgrade. Also i want the future proof ability of usb3 and Sata III as im unlikely to be replacing this system for a while.

Any advice would be awsome
Thanks

·
Registered
748 Posts
You could really help your budget by going with a 620 or 630 instead of the 965. You can always upgrade later. Or even the tri cores should be enough for your needs for now. The 890 boards should be good for you. Will you be happy doing all those multi media things and gaming with out proper graphics? Step down a little on cpu and you should be able to get a decent gpu to make you happier. Just a thought. Always tough choices with limited money. Good luck

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks and +1 rep for the advice, I Liked the 965 because of the larger cache of 8mb instead of say the 630 which only has 2mb. I'd been told for rendering images that the larger the processor cache the quicker it will cope in Photoshop. I had started off wanting the 1090T
but have had to reduce due to costs
maybe that will be a future upgrade when they drop in price.
Has anyone had any experience of Asrock motherboards? or the 890GX Extreme 3 mobo?
Are the more expensive motherbords worth the money if your not too bothered at running dual crossfire cards at (x16/x16)?
Will the core unlocker feature let me unlock an x4 to an x6? im guessing not?

Thanks sorry for all the dumb noob questions!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by GuineapigSoup View Post
Thanks and +1 rep for the advice, I Liked the 965 because of the larger cache of 8mb instead of say the 630 which only has 2mb. I'd been told for rendering images that the larger the processor cache the quicker it will cope in Photoshop. I had started off wanting the 1090T
but have had to reduce due to costs
maybe that will be a future upgrade when they drop in price.
Has anyone had any experience of Asrock motherboards? or the 890GX Extreme 3 mobo?
Are the more expensive motherbords worth the money if your not too bothered at running dual crossfire cards at (x16/x16)?
Will the core unlocker feature let me unlock an x4 to an x6? im guessing not?

Thanks sorry for all the dumb noob questions!
x4 to x6 = not possible
x2 to x3 or 4 = possible
x3 to x4 = possible
ALL Motherboards are decent (if not they wouldn't be in business)

Try stepping back to a cheaper motherboard.Since you won't be overclocking as it's not really in your budget. Just something to support the CPU and RAM you want.

Buy a older video card from eBay or somewhere online Nvidia's 8800 Series, 9800, or something from ATI.

The 9800 cards from nvidia play a few games just not on the best graphics settings but my friend uses his all the time to play BadCompany 2 and Crysis and he does alot of video rendering (but he has 965BE).

I think with a 9800 or Equivilent series GPU and with a Tri or Quad core processor. You can still get the Phenom II series just don't get the 965BE it's great CPu i've got it but if your not gonna overclock just get the 955 save a few $$$ btw the 955 vs the 965 come very close in performance as far as overclocking goes just incase you ever wanna do it in the future.

Hope this helped

·
Registered
7,418 Posts
I f you do not plan to overclock much that Asrock is quite fine and supports 3 PCI-E card's very nice
other then that only Crosshair 3 or 4 are worth it

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi
Thanks for the posts. I didnt think it was possible to unlock to a x6 but thought i'd ask as I wasnt totaly sure.
I will have a look round again at cpu's and graphics cards. I wanted to totaly plan what I'm going to get before I buy so I know it will all do what I want

I would like to do some over clocking and have tried a little with the intel rig in my sig but with mixed results...
How much effect does the mobo have on getting a good, stable OC? I know this may seem like a dumb question but im still learning!

Thanks

1 - 6 of 6 Posts