Overclock.net banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, i'm planing to upgrade my old PC (i5-5675c) to a new one.
I decided to go with 5900x. I know there will be the new Intel CPUs in a month, but I would prefer to not buy the first iteration of a new technology.
I'm not really up to date with OC, I did it a little bit on my old CPU, but now I don't really know how things are going now.
That's why I would like to start again and learn, but I have a dilemma choosing proper parts and not overspending on the little performance gain.
I live in Poland so prices can be a little weird to you.

For the RAM I consider these three options:
  • F4-3200C14D-32GVK at 250$
  • F4-3600C14D-32GVK at 330$
  • F4-3600C14D-32GVKA at 370$
Which one would you suggest to buy? Will there be any visible performance gain on the more expensive kit?

Choosing the motherboard is even harder for me, I have few options and I don't know which are good enough:
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING at 275$. This is the first board I found. Probably it is a little bit overpriced because of the SLI feature that I won't probably ever use?
  • ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) at 240$. The difference between F and E isn't that big, so maybe it is worth to get the E? Are there advantages of the F other than price?
  • MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI at 200$. This looks like the worst OC board from the list, but maybe it is enough? Also, it is the only board without Q-CODE ( I feel like I want to have that feature, but maybe it's not that useful?)
  • ASRock B550 Steel Legend at 200$. It has no WIFI (which is a nice feature that I would like to have) and no FLASH BIOS button (But probably I don't need it?)
  • MSI MEG B550 UNIFY-X at 350$. I've read that this is one of the best OC boards. It has two memory channels, but I won't probably need 4 sticks of RAM? Also, aren't the 4x16 worse that 2x32? On the other hand it is expensive and I don't know if it is worth for me to buy it?
What do you think? Maybe there are some other worth mentioning motherboards?
I also didn't do much research in terms of how to OC the CPU and RAM. Do you have any suggestions where from should I learn?

Thank you very much for any help.

·
Registered
678 Posts
To me, the Flash bios button or Bios Flashback is worth its weight in gold.

• Rep+
Reactions: Asmodian

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
ASUS ROG STRIX B550-E GAMING at 275$. This is the first board I found. Probably it is a little bit overpriced because of the SLI feature that I won't probably ever use?
Yes, you answered it yourself..unless you need it..

ASUS ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) at 240$. The difference between F and E isn't that big, so maybe it is worth to get the E? Are there advantages of the F other than price?
I personally use this, no frills whatsoever, and on the same chip you plan to use a 5900x..not much of a difference (performance wise) TBH from the E..not that I am aware of..your spare 30$ could be well spent over a godly binned Samsung B-Die kit to get the most out of that 5900x like what I also did..

• MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI at 200$. This looks like the worst OC board from the list, but maybe it is enough? Also, it is the only board without Q-CODE ( I feel like I want to have that feature, but maybe it's not that useful?)
  • ASRock B550 Steel Legend at 200$. It has no WIFI (which is a nice feature that I would like to have) and no FLASH BIOS button (But probably I don't need it?)
From a personal stand, I suggest to skip these out..

MSI MEG B550 UNIFY-X at 350$. I've read that this is one of the best OC boards. It has two memory channels, but I won't probably need 4 sticks of RAM? Also, aren't the 4x16 worse that 2x32? On the other hand it is expensive and I don't know if it is worth for me to buy it?
This is kinda overkill if you aren't chasing E-Peen records or Hall of fames..if you're only gaming and doing "office-like" work on it, that extra would have went better ways to a Godly B-Die kit IMHO, also the 2 slots can get easily saturated when you will need more RAM..

yeah BZ may have said the Strix is trash on Overclocking RAM since it cannot to 4800mhz, well who the **** in normal mind for a gaming PC would clock that high as daily, must be sniffing urethane stuff and the likes..:unsure:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the answers :)
I will just then from asus strix-e or f, but It turns out the b550 strix-f also doesn't have the Q-Code :( So maybe it will be worth buying the E version.
Do you have some suggestion for good board with Q-Code? Or is this just waste of money?

When it comes to RAM I wanted to clock it to 3800 or 4000 with some low latency.
From what I understand the Infity Fabric is maxed out at 2000 so going higher with ram will cause some desynchronization and there won't be that much performance increase?

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
I will just then from asus strix-e or f, but It turns out the b550 strix-f also doesn't have the Q-Code :( So maybe it will be worth buying the E version.
Do you have some suggestion for good board with Q-Code? Or is this just waste of money?
30$ for just the QCode?? there are debug leds near the 24 pin power connector (each led represents a component on your build that has issues, this is pretty standard now a days and is much user friendly as you woudn't need to demystify the meaning of the code), that should hint your for issues..IMHO..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You are probably right, 30$ just for one usable feature is quite some money. On the other hand it is just a small percentage of the whole dozen hundreds dollar build.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
On the other hand it is just a small percentage of the whole dozen hundreds dollar build.
30$ may be small for you in general, but for the Q-Code display I don't think that would be worth 30$ plus the SLI certification for the board..if it really doesn't matter to you then X570 would have been the best choice you would opt to..it would sound more sense for the other bells and whistles to be on an X570 platform rather on B550..

·
Robotic Chemist
4,302 Posts
I would pay 30$ for a QCode display... when you want them you really want them. They provide a lot more specific information than the 3 or 4 LEDs, but you do have to look them up when troubleshooting. :p

But I am not a great value buyer. If you never need it a QCode is pretty useless. It can be used as a CPU temperature display, if you could see it? :cautious:

From what I understand the Infity Fabric is maxed out at 2000 so going higher with ram will cause some desynchronization and there won't be that much performance increase?
My infinity fabric has "holes" at 1900 and 2000 MHz. I can run 1800, 1833, 1866, 1933 and 1966, but not 1900 or 2000 MHz. Something seem to relax at the 33 and 66 frequencies too, so I see the same or better performance in games or 3DMark using 1800 at the lowest timings I can, compared to 1966 at the lowest timings I can there. I think people get obsessed with the highest clocks and lowest latency in AIDA64. If you can run 1900 or 2000 I would, but don't count on it.

I run 1800 MHz FCLK 3600 14-13-11-22. Unless money is no object the best memory kit is the F4-3600C14D-32GVKA. My experience is that the A version is much better than the non-A version, but others have had good results with all three of the memory kits you listed. The better you go the less chance there is in how low you can get the timings. The only ones better are the 4000 14-15-15-35 1.55V kits, which are crazy expensive. This is for dual rank DIMMs, which I would recommend today.

By much better I mean I can run lower timings, but there is very little real performance gain. If you are willing to overclock the F4-3200C14D-32GVK kit is a really good value, bump it up to 1.45V, perhaps tweak the timings a bit, and get great performance at 1800/3600 for a good price.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I use the 550-F (non wifi) with the 5900x. I would have liked a couple more USB ports to be honest. It's a good board and that is the only limitation. I think its 7 in total if I remember correctly.

On the Q code discussion. I prefer a code to the LEDs. I tend to think you can get more specific errors from codes. The LEDs are general to the component. But LEDs are quite workable and I have used them to fault find.
The prices of the 550 boards are getting up there imho. The 550-F (non wifi) seemed like the most reasonably priced in my area at the time of purchase. Of course the local store I got it from put it and the 5900X on sale a couple of weeks after I bought them. Don't ya just love that.😀

·
Registered
234 Posts
If its any interest, I am running these F4-3600C14D-32GVK at straight 14 timings.
I did try F4-3200C14D-16GFX at 3400 CL 14. I have 2 sets of 16.
Speed wise and after a quick comparison of some bench marks, I would be happy running either of these G-Skill kits. Depends what you want to spend and if its worth it to you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
may be small for you in general, but for the Q-Code display I don't think that would be worth 30$ plus the SLI certification for the board..if it really doesn't matter to you then X570 would have been the best choice you would opt to..it would sound more sense for the other bells and whistles to be on an X570 platform rather on B550..
The Q-Code seems to be useful and the SLI is just a nice addition, if you can go without it I for sure will (Maybe you know about some list of motherboards wwith. The x570 is near half the price more for a bunch of PCI 4.0 slots (or are there any other additions?), too much for me.

Thank you all for the RAM informations, I will do some more research and decide if I will go with 250$ or 370$. I will ommit the midlle one in my considerations, I think I can spend more to have better memory. It seems like the cheeper one will be my go to, but I will see what more I can find out about them.

I am planning to buy the PC in 3 weeks so maybe there will happen some price changes that will change my mind.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
Maybe you know about some list of motherboards with
I only see this exclusively on high tier boards..(both B550 and X570)

he x570 is near half the price more for a bunch of PCI 4.0 slots (or are there any other additions?)
Typically the Crossfire and SLI support and the Q-Code, some do have 2.5/10gbps lan(more than 1), and nothing else that I can think off..yes a premium (too much) price tag..

Thank you all for the RAM informations, I will do some more research and decide if I will go with 250$ or 370$. I will ommit the midlle one in my considerations, I think I can spend more to have better memory. It seems like the cheeper one will be my go to, but I will see what more I can find out about them.
If you don't plan on doing some hardcore tweaking, a 3600 CL16 kit should do you fine..the thing is, Ryzen scales and performs well with a good set of RAMs (as long as your IF Clock allows you to go higher without WHEA)..I wouldn't call the Strix B550-F cheap, its underrated TBH, handles well my 5900x and overclocks the ram pretty good for my daily use (not that I care much for E-Peen numbers, I run my sticks 3800CL14), but off course its your call..personally the Q-Code doesn't fit for my taste since its just a static 7 segment display, not that I do not know how to demystify the code but if its the only thing I get from the same variant/lineup for a price premium hike, nada..the debug leds are a step forward for DIY builders (specially the ones who don't know much about building Higher end systems and just wants to splurge some cash over the Brand name) as its straight forward..

·
Registered
3,972 Posts
There’s going to be more ppl like me swapping over to alderlake. Try to pick up used high end boards like x570 master, hero dark. Same with the ram though alderlake supports ddr4.

To put into perspective, im planning to sell my 5950x at 700cad, x570 hero dark at 300cad and if i do sell 32gb ddr4-4000 trident z rgb cl19 (samsung b die low grade) at 200-250cad. I got ddr4-4000 running at 16-19-19-19 and 1.41volts

·
Registered
176 Posts
Get the gaming edge wifi. It will do just as well for CPU overclocking as the other boards (unless you're into LN2 overclocking). It'll also do perfectly fine for memory overclocking. The only board in the list that will be superior for memory overclocking would be the Unify-X.

Get the cheapest board from the list with the I/O and features you want. Overclocking differences (especially CPU) will be minimal.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
There’s going to be more ppl like me swapping over to alderlake. Try to pick up used high end boards like x570 master, hero dark. Same with the ram though alderlake supports ddr4.

To put into perspective, im planning to sell my 5950x at 700cad, x570 hero dark at 300cad and if i do sell 32gb ddr4-4000 trident z rgb cl19 (samsung b die low grade) at 200-250cad. I got ddr4-4000 running at 16-19-19-19 and 1.41volts
That's an idea, but for now I cannot find any offers in Poalnd, but maybe some will apear in 3 weeks.

Ballistix costs 230$, Trident 235$ so I think is better to go with ripjaws?

Get the gaming edge wifi. It will do just as well for CPU overclocking as the other boards (unless you're into LN2 overclocking).
@kairi_zeroblade why did you prefer to skip this board?

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
@@kairi_zeroblade why did you prefer to skip this board?
I hate the power delivery design and the memory support configuration..(except of course the Unify, those were really made with extreme in mind), I had one built for a client and it can't (for the love of wack!!) load the A-XMP profile properly and run them stable..it needs some elbow grease and patience..(the RAM used was in its QVL list, be cautious on what memory you would run on this board it tends to get picky on DR sticks, and there's even no guarantee things will work out with the ones listed there)

·
Registered
3,972 Posts

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,045 Posts
Interesting. That might be my choice for ram
Same as you I feel kinda tired with Ryzen..its all hype (no offense, that is why you don't wanna spend too much on it, the performance difference [given the same tweaks are applied over] with each board is just within the margin of error) the inconsistency on the boosting algorithm is kinda pissing me, have been testing out for a few weeks now, I noticed that when my temps are always below 40C it will generously boost, but when I am around 45c to 50c boost is kinda conservative and the logic goes along with 60c and around 70-75c, where you merely see any boosting at all..don't get me wrong, it is fast when it really wants to get fast, just too many restrictions/checks in place before it "wants" to get fast..

@kempusss if you can still hold out til Alder lake or if you wanna score something that would not break your bank then wait for the user who would sell their Ryzen platform for cheaps..like I said, it does not matter whether you are using X570 or B550 the performance would always be almost the same and will be within the margin of error..what would matter for Ryzen would be only the Memory speed and the IF Clock stability on higher frequencies..this is just my personal take from almost 8 months on owning the platform..(I just jumped and see what's on the hype train)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts