Overclock.net banner
21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,056 Posts
IF you want a fast and mainly stable system, go Crucial.
Nope, 1st thing he does when he decides on the Mobo is read its QVL list for supported/tested RAM kits for the board..generally saving him a lot of issues that concern compatibility..then check your options from the list with your budget range and its availability..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
@kempusss if you can still hold out til Alder lake or if you wanna score something that would not break your bank then wait for the user who would sell their Ryzen platform for cheaps..like I said, it does not matter whether you are using X570 or B550 the performance would always be almost the same and will be within the margin of error..what would matter for Ryzen would be only the Memory speed and the IF Clock stability on higher frequencies..this is just my personal take from almost 8 months on owning the platform..(I just jumped and see what's on the hype train)
When will probably be the realase (of CPUs and tests) of Alder Lake? I've heard some rumors about the end of October.
On hype train, from what I resarched, both Intel and AMD have pretty much comparable performance and cost in the high end range. As my previous build were Intel I decide this time it will be AMD (so maybe there was a little hype added to it). If I miss something and Intel will be better choose I will hapily change to it :)

Nope, 1st thing he does when he decides on the Mobo is read its QVL list for supported/tested RAM kits for the board..generally saving him a lot of issues that concern compatibility..then check your options from the list with your budget range and its availability..
Thanks for a clue, I've never heard of QVL. Is there other place to check this list other that official site? The ASUS one seems to be outdated as it only lists 4 3600 RAM kits from G.Skill (with cl 16 and 17) and I don't belive other aren't supported

·
Registered
3,984 Posts
When will probably be the realase (of CPUs and tests) of Alder Lake? I've heard some rumors about the end of October.
On hype train, from what I resarched, both Intel and AMD have pretty much comparable performance and cost in the high end range. As my previous build were Intel I decide this time it will be AMD (so maybe there was a little hype added to it). If I miss something and Intel will be better choose I will hapily change to it :)

Thanks for a clue, I've never heard of QVL. Is there other place to check this list other that official site? The ASUS one seems to be outdated as it only lists 4 3600 RAM kits from G.Skill (with cl 16 and 17) and I don't belive other aren't supported
Late oct review and early-mid nov launch

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,056 Posts
October 27 is the preview, will be on shelves starting November 3

On hype train, from what I resarched, both Intel and AMD have pretty much comparable performance and cost in the high end range. As my previous build were Intel I decide this time it will be AMD (so maybe there was a little hype added to it). If I miss something and Intel will be better choose I will hapily change to it
gaming wise even the 10th Gen can go toe to toe with Zen 3 specially when you can overclock it and run high frequency RAM and tight timings (less latency, higher throughput, and no USB dropout issues)

Welcome, usually the QVL memory list is under support menu's from the board model, I use a Gskill DR kit which has samsung b-die's, most Trident Z Neo kits are easily supported, kits predating the platform may have issues or quirks of their own..(from my personal testing, I have had 3 kits from GSkill w/o issues, the Corsair DR kit I had with B-Die has cold booting issues)

And by far, ASUS has the best memory compatibility from all the boards I have tried and tested, next would be Gigabyte (no nada for MSI for AMD platform, for Intel they have no issues with me) not that I mind BZ loving the Asrock B550 Steel Legend more than the Asus Strix..

like this one
Colorfulness Rectangle Font Material property Screenshot

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Yeah, that's what I did. After selecting G.Skill and 3600 there are only 4 kits. I made also other check and there are no 3600 kits with cl 14 from any vendor.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,056 Posts
Yeah, that's what I did. After selecting G.Skill and 3600 there are only 4 kits. I made also other check and there are no 3600 kits with cl 14 from any vendor.
then that means you might have less option..try a 3800mhz kit..or even a 3200mhz kit..a good GSkill 3200mhz can run 3600mhz and beyond with tuning..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
Oh, my bad, there is one kit from G.Skill on 3600 cl 14: F4-3600C14D-16GTZN (but 2x8 not 2x16).
The only one supported from the list I created is the 3200 cl 14. Do you think there will be compatibility issues with 3600 cl 14?

·
Robotic Chemist
4,314 Posts

·
Registered
176 Posts
I hate the power delivery design and the memory support configuration..(except of course the Unify, those were really made with extreme in mind), I had one built for a client and it can't (for the love of wack!!) load the A-XMP profile properly and run them stable..it needs some elbow grease and patience..(the RAM used was in its QVL list, be cautious on what memory you would run on this board it tends to get picky on DR sticks, and there's even no guarantee things will work out with the ones listed there)
That definitely seems to be a one off issue. I have two friends using that board with overclocked memory and PBO/CO and they haven't told me about any issues. There is no reason why the gaming edge should under perform , its a capable board with an extremely solid set of VRMs.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
No, I do not.
Thanks for the opinion :)

However I think I will go with 3200 cl14 and try to OC it as the performance gain when buying 3600 cl14 isn't really visible.
Maybe I am wrong here, I only find few memory tests not in games with 5900x, maybe you know some good comparison?

·
Robotic Chemist
4,314 Posts
However I think I will go with 3200 cl14 and try to OC it as the performance gain when buying 3600 cl14 isn't really visible.
Maybe I am wrong here, I only find few memory tests not in games with 5900x, maybe you know some good comparison?
I think that is probably the wisest choice, it would be hard to measure the performance difference if you can get 3600-14-14-14-34, which seems very likely. :)

·
Registered
153 Posts

G.Skill RAM Configurator and QVL shows which combinations have been validated to be fully capable of XMP/DOCP specifications.

·
Registered
3,984 Posts

·
Registered
682 Posts
Ballistix costs 230$, Trident 235$ so I think is better to go with ripjaws?
You need to select based on latency and speed. The two linked were:

Crucial Ballistix - 3600 CL16-18-18-38
G.skill Trident Neo - 3600 CL18-22-22-42

Both are reasonable kits for the price as Crucial uses Micron dies, whereas the G.Skill kit uses Hynix. Based on these two, I'd go with the Crucial kit.

·
Registered
682 Posts
The motherboard manufacturer won't cover every kit. The memory manufacturer also has their own QVL list and usually have almost all the motherboards listed on it, eventhough some don't make sense.

Also, I can't see how you can QVL a 4400 CL18/CL19 kit. It just will not run on B550/X570/Zen3 with DOCP on. So personally, I don't trust both the motherboard and memory manufacturers' QVLs.

·
Cheesebumps!!
3,056 Posts
Do you think there will be compatibility issues with 3600 cl 14?
none, the better that you use that kit instead..you wouldn't need too much to tinker on it..

That definitely seems to be a one off issue. I have two friends using that board with overclocked memory and PBO/CO and they haven't told me about any issues. There is no reason why the gaming edge should under perform , its a capable board with an extremely solid set of VRMs.
the board has no issues on SR sticks (probably)..it just happens it has a picky taste for DR sticks..I don't mean to mock on 16gb ram users with high end specs..just doesn't make sense building a 2000$ PC with just 16gb of sticks..(my needs require a higher density also given the nature my board is daisy chained, it would be wise to saturate 2 slots with a not so pain in the ass to play with RAM sticks, to each of their own, but I prefer to do things this way)

@kempusss
this is my previous kit..its a Hynix CJR kit, which I run 3800mhz with same stock timings and I can tune the TRFC upto 250ns (which is the die's limit according to the guide/table I am following) which was only using 1.42v, that kit doesn't scale with voltages (Hynix in general) also the secondary timings are its sweet spot, synthetic AIDA64 bench for latency gives me around 57ns, I got it for 200$ here..I replaced it with the B-Die I have now which netted me a 1.xns gain which isn't really practical for the cost I got the B-Die's (got the new kit for around 380$), I wouldn't require anyone who isn't chasing world records or podium finishes to splurge specially when DDR5 is out already..you just have to manually tinker to get results..thats it..performance wise on games and what I usually do with the PC, it was just the same..it was all a mental state of satisfaction to have a "samsung b-die kit"

21 - 40 of 49 Posts