Overclock.net banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So usually, with literally every single PC I have ever used in my life I plug my headphones (Philips X2s/Senn HD558s) into the read audio port for the best sound shielding and using the front audio ports results in sound shielding issues (electrical interference/hum especially when the PC is under load).

HOWEVER, on my current build, if I use the rear audio port on my ASRock Z370 Taichi or GB Z390 Aorus Master, I get noticeable interference from the GPU load in games (Fallout 4 is especially painful for some reason). But using the front audio ports on my Meshify C results in completely clean audio. No interference at all??

From my own personal experience in the past this should be the other way around?

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
It depends on many things. Regardless of the claimed shielding capabilities of your onboard audio, nearby components will cause interference. GPU and PSU feedback noise is a frequent issue. Front panel audio will have the added issue of how well the front I/O on your case is built. Best option is to at least use a discrete audio card to mitigate these problems. Low impedance headphones tend to also have an easier time picking up noises like ground loops.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends on many things. Regardless of the claimed shielding capabilities of your onboard audio, nearby components will cause interference. GPU and PSU feedback noise is a frequent issue. Front panel audio will have the added issue of how well the front I/O on your case is built. Best option is to at least use a discrete audio card to mitigate these problems. Low impedance headphones tend to also have an easier time picking up noises like ground loops.
Both my headphones are 30 ohm and 50ohm so pretty low. I've been driven insane by the shielding issues from my rear audio ports (it was really bad), but seriously first the first time in my 10+ years of having custom rigs and trying many different setups, the front I/O is crystal clean, but the rear I/O is trash. It's ALWAYS been the other way around for me. So I'm just a bit surprised.

I was seriously looking into a discrete audio option (because I didn't even bother testing the front I/O due to the previous experiences I've had), however now that I've actually tested it, I'm completely happy.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
If the front connection works for you and you are happy with the audio quality, then no point in spending more money. If it starts giving you problems then a discrete solution (a PCIe or USB) would be your best bet.

·
Registered
905 Posts
I've always used a dedicated sound card, and I have never in over 20 years heard any sort of distortion in my headphones regardless of cpu/gpu load. Well, only when using onboard audio. Perhaps that is why there is an actual market for sound cards, because they don't suck.

·
Registered
4,223 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I've always used a dedicated sound card, and I have never in over 20 years heard any sort of distortion in my headphones regardless of cpu/gpu load. Well, only when using onboard audio. Perhaps that is why there is an actual market for sound cards, because they don't suck.
Read my post

1 - 6 of 6 Posts