Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can think of three reasons to cool your motherboard:

- Stock heatsink is inefficient
- Noise reduction
- OCD when it comes to cooling

Did I miss any?

Since I'm putting CPU and probably GPU on water, heck, why not the motherboard? It's an EVGA X58 SLI so there's plenty of blocks on the market for it. There doesn't seem to be any downside, so long as your loop already has the capacity.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
Depending on what you're using your computer for or what you plan to overclock there's real no point afaik. You'd lose about 100+~ for the block and maybe 10$ depending on which fittings you're going with to gain no huge difference. Better to spend that money on increasing air flow in your case or air cooling your ram if you haven't already.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I found it a great improvement when I did my board, at least my mosfet's.

My CPU takes a lot of volts to OC it for some reason so when I kept the board on air my VREG temps where running load at 76 Celsius @ 3.69 OC with 1.3 volts going through the mosfet, too hot to keep the OC set like that.

When I liquid cooled my board, now I am at 4.0 OC with 1.44 volts going through the mosfets I am 38-40 Celsius and on load I am running 61 Celsius.

So more OC, more volts and less temps for my VREG/mosfets, sounds good to me.

Chad

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a DFI lanparty board that had a lil screaming fan on the nb, so i watercooled that for my sanity

my current mobo has a all in one heatpipe thing going on, i did try to remove it and put in artic silver instead of cheapo goop, but the southbridge part was stuck down with tape i guess

·
Registered
620 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Good tips everyone. Do you know how the EVGA X58 SLI compares in terms of stock NB/MOSFET cooling?

·
VeeDub Enthusiast
4,521 Posts
i got a sli le, my nb temps dropped by ~ 20 °C going from stock nb cooling to water.

so i would say for the amount of money for performance its worth it

heres a comparison chart i did:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Did you let that AS5 cure? Seems like you should have gotten much more significant drop than a few degrees...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts