Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey OC.net

Its been a while since I've been active on these forums, but its about time for me to get a new computer so I need some help in deciding a few components. The one things I was never really any good at figuring out though was the motherboard.

Here is the current set up I was looking to purchase some time early next year.

Processor: Intel i7 920
Graphics: ATI 5870
Ram: Some 3x2gb triple channel, was looking at corsair dominators.

But I have been having a problem finding a motherboard, mostly because I don't really know their pricing and such.

I was looking at the ASUS Rampage II GENE, http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131371

My question is, would the GENE be a better pick for me if I am not going to be running a Crossfire system? Or would something else be preferable for me?

I've also had a friend told me that also since both boards can do both SLI and ATI, I may be paying some unnecessary tech licensing for both. If this is the case, would there be any boards that would only have Crossfire, or is my mode of thinking so out of date that nearly all high performance boards have both?

As you can see, my current system is really out of date, so I'm going to have to do a lot of learning before I even think of overclocking this system.

·
Premium Member
13,477 Posts
Most if not all LGA1366 boards have both SLI and CrossFire, so it really isn't worth bothering about.

What ELSE are you going to want to do with the system, or plug into it, other than that sweet 5870? This is probably going to be the most important thing to consider.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well, I want to play games with it and have it last me for as long as my current system has.

Ideally, running many application, perhaps some folding. Just a powerful gaming/workstation.

I also just noticed one problem with the GENE though, being that its micro-ATX, and the 5870 requires a 500W mininum. So does this mean I am going to have a hard time finding a good power supply to work this system?

·
Premium Member
4,146 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NeueZiel
View Post

I also just noticed one problem with the GENE though, being that its micro-ATX, and the 5870 requires a 500W mininum. So does this mean I am going to have a hard time finding a good power supply to work this system?

Not at all, any ATX compatible power supply will work with that motherboard.
Micro ATX as applied to a motherboard just means it is a certain size and has nothing to do with the power supply unit it is compatible with.
Just get any ATX power supply and you'll be fine.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Quote:

Originally Posted by Shub
View Post

Not at all, any ATX compatible power supply will work with that motherboard.
Micro ATX as applied to a motherboard just means it is a certain size and has nothing to do with the power supply unit it is compatible with.
Just get any ATX power supply and you'll be fine.

Thanks for the clarification.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hah, after reading an article on tomshardware.com I think I am having my doubts about choosing the i7 920. If I am going for primarily a gaming machine, I thin a Phenom II 955 would be much more economical.

Although... I wouldn't have the triple channel memory.. Hmmm.. Arrgh, more research needs to be done

1 - 7 of 7 Posts