Overclock.net banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So right now I'm running the Asus board in my sig. I'd like to upgrade my motherboard at the moment to something new. I have been eyeballing a couple different boards but here is the problem I have been running into. I have an Xfi Forte that I would like to keep and I got a third reference 5770 for a steal so naturally I'd like to tri fire as well as possibly picking up a 1055T or a 1090T. I have been eyeballing the Gigabyte GA-890FXA-UD7 and the Asus Crosshair IV. The main problem I see is that they lack a PCI Express x1 slot. Will a x1 card work in a 16x slot? What are my other choices for a Tri fire 890fx board that can do a decent 4ghz overclock?

·
Registered
2,770 Posts
From Wikipedia:

a PCIe card will physically fit (and work correctly) in any slot that is at least as large as it is (e.g., an Ã-1 sized card will work in any sized slot)

It pays to Google!

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I do know that being that I have read that article myself but also some motherboard manufacturers lock their x16 slots for graphics only. I guess I could of revised my question to see if anyone knows if either of those motherboards slots are locked as so. But I do appreciate your attempt at a little quip.

·
Premium Member
853 Posts
You could use the gigabyte ud5 its the smaller version of the UD7 a 1x card will work in any slot that is equal or greater in 1x capability, so you could do trifire on the gigabyte board and then use the x4 slot for the 1x card.

Depending on the size of those video cards though it could be a tight squeeze on the ud5 though, if you went that route. Also keep in mind often something will get disabled when you use one of the x4 slots for example the gigabyte board you loose the 2 sata II connectors as well as any ide connectors.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts